Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Preparing Video for the Web

Preparing Video for the Web
rob7erto
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2002, 04:11 PM

Is there a way to make a 1:30 - 2:00 minute video around 5 megs for download? I tried to do this in iMovie using MPEG4, from what I remember, and the file ended up being over 20 megs.

What is the best codec and settings to use to get something that length down to 5 megs?

gsciorio
Sep 30, 2002, 10:22 PM

Tough call. Try Sorenson Squeeze. It's purpose is to compress video while keeping the quality clean.

Don't forget you might need to lighten the video before you compress it. Often times compressed video gets dark, and also smaller images in general appear smaller by nature.

Giulio
Giulio

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 3, 2002, 06:56 AM

ummm... i exported a 5 minute iMovie for web, and that comes in at 7.7Mb and there's nothing wrong with the quality.

i'm thinking your 2 minute movie might weigh in at under 5Mb if you used the right settings? i just the default and exported for web, which ones did you use?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2002, 03:15 AM

A couple of extra tips when creating quicktime movies with Sorensen compression:
  • Make sure both the height and width of your movie are equally divisible by 4 for best results
  • Set the 'Keyframe rate' to about 1 every 10 seconds
  • You can set your data rate at anywhere between 50-150kb/sec and still get pretty good results
  • You may want to tweak your contrast (+4 - +7) a bit
Does this help?
Computer thez nohhh...

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 6, 2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Simon Mundy:
A couple of extra tips when creating quicktime movies with Sorensen compression:
  • Make sure both the height and width of your movie are equally divisible by 4 for best results
  • Set the 'Keyframe rate' to about 1 every 10 seconds
  • You can set your data rate at anywhere between 50-150kb/sec and still get pretty good results
  • You may want to tweak your contrast (+4 - +7) a bit
Does this help?
Good advice there. I think I'm going to try that for one of my movie files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules