Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > switched, now in search of the perfect browser...

switched, now in search of the perfect browser...
sonofagun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2003, 09:20 PM

I am aware about the miles of threads about the perfect browser, and this is not the issue of my post!

Switching to Mac, I have (among others) one big unresolved issue. What I really liked about IE for Windows, was the "AutoComplete" feature. This feature allows to "auto-fill" all kinds of forms, including search sites, fields etc., which is IMHO a VERY useful feature.
Now, in IE for the MAc (5.2.2.), AutoComplete has to be "by hand", which means: fill out field, hit ctrl, select "add to AutoComplete". Additionally, in the threads is often confused with "AutoFill", which is, as everybody knows, autotyping of URLs. Now, questions:
Does anybody know,
1. how to enable this feature in IE for MAc OSX?
2. if it is available at all?
3. if not, why not?
4. is there a way to tweak around, i.e. in the preference file?
5. is it available in other browsers (I personally like Chimera much better, saying, I will use any fast browser, if it has above feature - and a keyboard shortcut for page-up/down).
Phew, hope nobody flames about the length, the contents or my anal-retentiveness!
Thanks for all replies.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by sonofagun:
I am aware about the miles of threads about the perfect browser, and this is not the issue of my post!

Switching to Mac, I have (among others) one big unresolved issue. What I really liked about IE for Windows, was the "AutoComplete" feature. This feature allows to "auto-fill" all kinds of forms, including search sites, fields etc., which is IMHO a VERY useful feature.
Now, in IE for the MAc (5.2.2.), AutoComplete has to be "by hand", which means: fill out field, hit ctrl, select "add to AutoComplete". Additionally, in the threads is often confused with "AutoFill", which is, as everybody knows, autotyping of URLs. Now, questions:
Does anybody know,
1. how to enable this feature in IE for MAc OSX?
2. if it is available at all?
3. if not, why not?
4. is there a way to tweak around, i.e. in the preference file?
5. is it available in other browsers (I personally like Chimera much better, saying, I will use any fast browser, if it has above feature - and a keyboard shortcut for page-up/down).
Phew, hope nobody flames about the length, the contents or my anal-retentiveness!
Thanks for all replies.
It is available in IE for Mac although you will suffer speed decreases using IE. Chimera and now Apple's Safari are MUCH faster but as of now they do not have forms autocomplete.

To enable in IE, go to Preferences under the IE menu and click on Autocomplete. It also says you can control click in a form field to enable it.

Welcome to the Mac!

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2003, 11:09 PM

I would check out Safari from Apple for most browsing, but if you really like AutoComplete, keep IE around too!

VRL
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 06:24 AM

Netscape has the autofill feature. A good friend of mine uses it/ loves it. (I haven't used it personally.)

Netscape gets criticized a lot, but it is actually becoming one of the better browsers for X. ...I still prefer iCab.

Welcome. Have fun
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

sonofagun  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2003, 03:12 AM

To enable in IE, go to Preferences under the IE menu and click on Autocomplete. It also says you can control click in a form field to enable it.
Exactly, but in IE for Windows it did it automatically (i.e. without manual entry by ctrl-clicking. Guess, you can't have everything.
Thanks for the replies! I will keep Chimera and use IE for backup (=emergency backup)

Forum Links
Forum Rules