Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes and Other Music Services

iTunes and Other Music Services
selowitch
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 11:19 AM

I gather that iTunes is incompatible with other music services such as the new Napster, BuyMusic.com, etc. and that I cannot buy or manage music from those services through iTunes.

Have I grasped the situation correctly?

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by selowitch:
I gather that iTunes is incompatible with other music services such as the new Napster, BuyMusic.com, etc. and that I cannot buy or manage music from those services through iTunes.

Have I grasped the situation correctly?
yes
when you purchase music through iTunes you are purchasing it through the iTunes Music Store, not through Napster, or BuyMusic.com

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
yes
when you purchase music through iTunes you are purchasing it through the iTunes Music Store, not through Napster, or BuyMusic.com
That I knew; however, what I was wondering is if perhaps you could buy some music through the other services (by means of whatever tools they have) and then import that music into iTunes. But it looks like this isn't possible. Too bad.

iTMS is great, but sometimes their available stock is a little thin in certain areas, like indie music and certain very popular country songs and standards.

For example, at present I can't find Frank Sinatra's version of "New York, New York" nor can I find music from the Smithereens album <i>Green Thoughts</i>. Bummer.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2003, 12:44 PM

The incompatibility is because Apple decided not to be Microsoft's bitch. Apple uses an open standard audio file format, while the others are using Microsoft's proprietary format.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
The incompatibility is because Apple decided not to be Microsoft's bitch. Apple uses an open standard audio file format, while the others are using Microsoft's proprietary format.
That's good in the abstract, naturally; however, as a practical matter, I the consumer would like to have the widest possible selection.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2003, 12:56 PM

If you want the widest possible selection, you'll definitely want to support Apple. The stronger Microsoft becomes, the less freedom we will have in the long run.

I have two things to recommend for you:

1) If you can't find a song on the iTunes music store, make sure to ask for it ("Requests" is on the home page).

2) If you absolutely must buy a song in Windows Media Format, go ahead. You can still listen to it using Microsoft's media player for the Mac. You just can't use iTunes to manage it. If you want iTunes to manage it too, then you can the free program WireTap to convert it to .aiff which you can then import into iTunes.

Just try not to purchase from the other services very often, OK. :-) In fact, I'd dowload a song from the P2P networks before I'd support a service selling Windows Media Format.

Chris
( Last edited by chabig; Nov 30, 2003 at 01:01 PM. )

Jayznkelc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
2) If you absolutely must buy a song in Windows Media Format, go ahead. You can still listen to it using Microsoft's media player for the Mac. You just can't use iTunes to manage it. If you want iTunes to manage it too, then you can the free program WireTap to convert it to .aiff which you can then import into iTunes.

Just try not to purchase from the other services very often, OK. :-) In fact, I'd dowload a song from the P2P networks before I'd support a service selling Windows Media Format.

Chris
I'd rather go out and buy the CD than pay for a WMA file!!

-- I agree that iTMS is missing alot of songs I want, and I've made requests for the song I'd like to see on iTMS. I'm willing to wait a little so I hope that Apple doesn't let me down on the songs I want.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Jayznkelc:
I'd rather go out and buy the CD than pay for a WMA file!!

-- I agree that iTMS is missing alot of songs I want, and I've made requests for the song I'd like to see on iTMS. I'm willing to wait a little so I hope that Apple doesn't let me down on the songs I want.
One thing you have to remember, the songs you want, may not be ones the label, or artist has allowed to be put up yet. Not always Apple's fault.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 11:16 AM

If I want a song that I can't find on iTMS, I'll go to Limewire before I buy a Windows Media song. On the Mac, if you can listen to it at all, you certainly cannot burn it.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
If I want a song that I can't find on iTMS, I'll go to Limewire before I buy a Windows Media song. On the Mac, if you can listen to it at all, you certainly cannot burn it.
If the iTunes Music Store had the type of music that I listened to (metalcore, death metal, etc) I'd maybe consider buying select tracks. But instead I'm left with the usual peer to peer options to try before I buy, then I usually head to Tower Records or some hardcore music store online that carries my stuff.

Proprietary Microsoft stuff is weak, man.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 07:00 PM

I'm not sure about all the different copy-protection mechanisms used by the other services, but here's a possible (albeit clumsy) workaround:
Buy the WMA files, burn a regular audio CD with them, then rip them back as MP3 or AAC in iTunes.

But WMA sucks, and you'll lose some audio quality with re-ripping and such.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2003, 07:07 PM

Buy the WMA files, burn a regular audio CD with them, then rip them back as MP3 or AAC in iTunes.
Of course this works. But it skews the marketing figures toward Windows Media, making it appear to be the dominant format. Pretty soon, music will only be sold in Windows format.

If you can't get it from iTunes, buy the CD. It's that simple.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules