Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Plan to Upgrade a 80G Harddisk for Pb 12! But got some Problems

Plan to Upgrade a 80G Harddisk for Pb 12! But got some Problems
seen_xu
Sep 5, 2004, 10:54 AM

i have ordered a new travelstar 80G harddisk, but got the problem how to replace the old 40G! At first, and for sure, the most important step is how to remove the F1, F2 keys, so that i can get the crews out, which located under those keys! Anyone got ideas, and could you make some detailed instruction?(best with Photos! , cause I am newbie to open an powerbook )

thx!

Have a Mac, Never Come Back!?

ApertureFoto
Sep 7, 2004, 07:27 PM

I can't help you with the drive removal...

however if you are interested in selling your old 40GB drive shoot me an e-mail

kris

[email protected]

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 10:46 PM

If you don't know how, I wouldn't attempt it. You really need the proper tools, and it's quite easy to break things. There are about 30 screws to remove/replace in the process.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

reduxx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2004, 03:02 PM

in my 15 inch tibook manual it details removal of the hard drive, is this missing in the aluminum series? and it would seem to me a google search might find something useful...
anyway good luck!

Alex Dawson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2004, 10:51 PM

in my 15 inch tibook manual it details removal of the hard drive, is this missing in the aluminum series? and it would seem to me a google search might find something useful...
anyway good luck!
The AlBooks are very different to the TiBooks.

thefunkymunky
Sep 13, 2004, 07:32 AM

Hi

I have just replaced the hard drive in my Rev. A PowerBook. I would recommend you read up as much as you can on the process before attempting the upgrade as it can be very fiddly.

Have a look here:

Hard Drive upgrade

and also my post on the Apple forums:

Replacing Hard Drive

and here:

More Updrades

I also have the service manual thats supplied Apple technicians. I will upload it when I get home if you need a copy.

Nick.
( Last edited by thefunkymunky; Sep 13, 2004 at 07:37 AM. )
MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 03:06 PM

Sorry to graveyard dig but how did you remove those keys? And can all the keys be removed? I have a 15" and would like to remove my spacebar to give it a drop of oil as it squeaks a little.

Ruahrc

thefunkymunky
Sep 24, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Ruahrc:
Sorry to graveyard dig but how did you remove those keys? And can all the keys be removed? I have a 15" and would like to remove my spacebar to give it a drop of oil as it squeaks a little.

Ruahrc
I can't confirm whether this is the same procedure for the 15-inch but on the 12-inch you must lift the keys from the left side first and gently lift them with a small screwdriver, the keys just "pop" off. Two very small clips hold them in place. I have only tried this with the "F" keys however.

Nick.
MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2004, 10:12 PM

i did this on my 12" pb this summer, and it wasn't as bad as i had feared.

the keys are the part that had me the most scared, but I had no trouble getting them off.
I used a plastic disposable knife, stuck it under the right side of the key, used a finger as a fulcrum and pushed down on the other side to pop it off. The process was pretty painless other than that.

once you've done it, remember that after you've formated the drive you need to restart, or the installer won't install onto it.
when it told me that it couldn't install onto my new drive (because it couldn't start from it) I freaked out that it was the jumpers, and took my whole computer apart again, only to realize that I just needed to restart again

I used an apple service manual to figure out which screws to take out (they're all over the web).

good luck!

--will

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2004, 10:49 AM

check out:
www.pbfixit.com/Guide/

there's a good explananation there,..
just opened an 786 12" Powerbook.. it's not that hard.. although there are a lot of screws

HS-L
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 6, 2004, 01:29 PM

*pshht* Gonna drive this thread on down to iBook fourm. I'll jest have to pop the pep pills and straight ball this rig all night, yep. over and out. *pshht*
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 7, 2004, 11:21 AM

whoops!

(transferring to the powerbook forum.)
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2004, 04:32 PM

A good advise = Get premium tools! before you begin. And take it slow and easy. Don�t rush it. Organize all screws....

Forum Links
Forum Rules