Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How can you set burn speeds for DVDs?

How can you set burn speeds for DVDs?
Helmling
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 06:19 PM

I'm concerned that 8x burning is making my burns come out wrong. I want to try slowing down the drive when iDVD burns them, but I can't figure out how.

Anyone know how?

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 08:45 PM

you could save it as a Disk image, and then using Disk Utility, you can set the burn speeds...

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 08:52 PM

Ok...how would I do that? It doesn't appear to be an option in iDVD?

Meritocracy
Oct 10, 2005, 03:51 PM

When you've completed your project in iDVD just save it as a disk image. Then burn the image from Disk Utility where you can set your speed accordingly. Nebagakid already stated the same...
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2005, 06:59 PM

Ok, yet again, how do you save it as a disc image? I'm using iDVD 3.01 and I don't see that option.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 06:32 PM

Hm, it only took me 5 DVD-coasters just to find out that the 8x media can't take the 16x speed the writer can do...
And it is a bit silly you can't define the burning speed in iDVD, or even get a warning or find this described in the Help.
Finally made an image and burned it in Toast 7. Of course, after reading this thread, I now understand how to tell the Disk Utility how fast to burn.

Question remains if the Finder Burn is related to the setting in Disk Utility. Anyone knows?
Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules