Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Flash -- do I need a pre-loader for my site?

Flash -- do I need a pre-loader for my site?
mattmarshall
Senior User
Nov 30, 2005, 11:21 PM

Hey all...

I just designed my site using Flash. It's a small site -- the .swf is only 1.2 megs. So, do I need a preloader?

Does it take too long to load, or is it ok as it is?

the address is:
http://www.matthewmarshall.net

Thanks.....Flash was pretty fun to use.

- Matthew Marshall

p.s. There's currently a bug in Safari keeping forwarded sites from loading, so if it doesn't load in your version of Safari, that's why. Hopefull Apple will fix this soon.

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2005, 12:46 AM

I had quite a bit of trouble loading the page in Safari (and in links...)

I would consider 1.2 megs to be large enough that some sort of loading thing would be helpful to users on a dialup connection.

Looking at your page, what i would recommend is loading the jpgs individually, rather than embedding them in the swf file. This has two advantages in my mind:
1. the swf will be significantly smaller (no larger than 200kb... max)
2. if the user doesn't visit the gallery, they won't have to download the pictures.

--WIll

skalie
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 02:51 AM

When previewing the movie, show the bandwidth profiler, then view >>> simulate download.

You can also adjust for different download speeds, view >>> download settings.

It's a little buggy, but will give you somewhat of an idea of how your site will load.

......and, er, for 1.2 megs, I'd definately use a preloader.

mattmarshall  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys....I didn't know I could keep the jpeg's outside the swf. I'll definitely look into that, and making a preloader, too.

thanks thanks

- Matt

mattmarshall  (op)
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 02:58 AM

hey clam

thanks for your suggestion....i used it partially -- i made a seperate .swf, with the jpeg slideshow. that way, it only loads if someone clicks on it. the main .swf is only 350k then. thanks!

i would love to load the quicktime movie in the same window, without having it spawn an extra one. i endlessly tries to use .flv format, but nothing was satisfactory. so, i have to use quicktime. is there a way to make the .swf call the quicktime up inside it's own window?

- matt

skalie
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2005, 12:48 PM

What version of Flash are you using? I had a heck of a time trying to convert a rather long .mov into a .flv etc., etc., etc., using Flash MX2004. I gave up in the end, ended up linking to another page with the .mov embedded.

However with Flash 8 it all seemed to come together quite nicely using the FLVPlayer component.

mattmarshall  (op)
Senior User
Dec 4, 2005, 07:25 PM

hey skalie

i am using flash 8, but couldn't get a satisfactoy .flv file. it kept stuttering. so, i stuck with quicktime, and just linked outside the swf file

- matt

mattmarshall  (op)
Senior User
Dec 5, 2005, 03:28 PM

hey clam

i setup my site the jpeg's load individually....there is now a small wait as each image loads, but it's faster in the beginning and also conserves bandwith -- since it only loads what people click on. (instead of loading all pictures, when they might see the first couple, and stop. wasted bandwith.)

so, right now i like this solution, for the most part. if i made a pre-loader and then had all the images in one external swf, that might be a viewing experience, but i was having trouble with the preloader. this will work for now.

thanks for the suggestion.

- matt
www.matthewmarshall.net

D_D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 06:41 AM

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2006, 09:05 AM

What you really need to do use the right tools for the job: HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Flash has its place, but it's not meant for -and not appropriate for- designing entire Websites.

Failing that, however, you desperately need a preloader. 1.2 megs is way past excessive for a single page.
( Last edited by Millennium; May 30, 2006 at 04:50 PM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules