Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > PowerBook OSX Install Disc Error

PowerBook OSX Install Disc Error
TimothyJay
Dec 16, 2005, 05:01 PM

Hi. I have a PowerBook which I'm tyring to install the bundled software (iPhoto, iMovie, etc.) from an install disc with Panther on it. However, when I run in package, I would get to the part where I can choose which drive I should install my applications in, then I would get an error, noting that there was an error in the package and could not continue.

Has this ever occured to anyone before? The disc does not have any scratches on it, which is why I wonder why it would say it had an error with the package, when I was able to use it in the past.

Any ideas?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 05:24 PM

Is the install disk that came with the PowerBook, or did it come with different hardware? If the latter, the installer is probably preventing you from doing that, as iLife, etc., is only licensed for the machine it comes with, not for any and all Macs.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 05:37 PM

You could always try to install the packages individually using Pacifist. You can find it on VersionTracker. This way you can find out which package is giving you a problem.

TimothyJay  (op)
Dec 16, 2005, 05:44 PM

No, this install disc was for my own PowerBook it came with.

It's weird. Because this is normally how I install my bundled software (because I have the upgrade of Tiger), where I install the core applications using the install disc, instal Tiger using the upgrade DVD, and wait til I need the programs from the bundled software to install them later on.

And now, it seems like I can't install them anymore.

Thanks for the tip on the Pacifist. I will try that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules