Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Burning iTunes playlists into harddisks

Burning iTunes playlists into harddisks
mspalacios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 03:56 PM

I want to move a very large iTunes playlist to another machine and I want to preserve album art, ratings, etc. I know that burning to optical media will make it span multiple volumes, but I have access to a USB 2.0 external HD and I was wondering if I could use for this purpose.

The only option I see in iTunes is to burn to my optical drive. Has anyone done this?

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2005, 04:11 PM

you an simply move the files, that will preserve all of the metadata they contain (art, ratings)

what you will run into is that they aren't in one place, but are spread throughout your itunes library folder.

to see the location of a song just right click it in itunes and select 'show song file'

jay3ld
Senior User
Dec 28, 2005, 04:17 PM

shouldn't the Consolidate Library fix that problem if they are not in his itunes library folder?
then he just has to move the whole Music folder under his username to the other computer.

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2005, 04:22 PM

jay3ld: But if he just wants to move a playlist and not his entire library there isn't a simple way to copy them all in one go.

it would be nice if itunes had a folder for each playlist with an alias of all the songs in that playlist, in the same way iphoto does for each album you create.

Forum Links
Forum Rules