Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook, not as good as it looks?

MacBook, not as good as it looks?
CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006, 01:56 AM

Unsanity has posted a fairly pessimistic review of the MacBook as shown at Macworld. Several important hardware features are missing.

It also sounds like the speed boost isn't so great as Steve would have us believe, and the loss of Altivec makes some tasks slower than the current G4. For example, the reviewer said that H.264 trailers experienced noticeable skipping and frame dropping during playback on the MacBook, but the same trailers play smoothly on his G4 Powerbook.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2006, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
Unsanity has posted a fairly pessimistic review of the MacBook as shown at Macworld. Several important hardware features are missing.

It also sounds like the speed boost isn't so great as Steve would have us believe, and the loss of Altivec makes some tasks slower than the current G4. For example, the reviewer said that H.264 trailers experienced noticeable skipping and frame dropping during playback on the MacBook, but the same trailers play smoothly on his G4 Powerbook.
Taking his points one by one:

1) Could be for faster recharges and future headroom (since this new power plug should last a while); my Centrino system usually ranges from about 10 to 35W depending on load, but witih a 65W power adaper I can charge the battery at about 40W while using it.

2) I think S-video will be available through a pin converter from the DVI port, and there is a USB modem available for the dozen people who want one. The lack of FW800 without adding e.SATA is puzzling.

3) 1440x960 was a non-standard resolution that only Apple used (1.5 aspect ratio). With the new enclosure they're at the very comment aspect ratio of 1.6, so we have a better chance of HD screens in the future. The higher DPI final-rev PowerBooks were plagued with screen problems (horizontal light/dark lines), and the new screen still has higher DPI than the 1280x854 that Apple used for so long.

4) The DVD burner is clearly an older model since it's only 4x (instead of 8x) and lacks DL support. They have the 8x version with DL support in the Intel iMac.

5) I think the non-optional built-in iSight will hurt corportate sales (many companies ban cameras) and the inclusion of an infrared remote is odd (this is 2005, it should be Bluetooth).

6) The Pentium M also beats the G4 by a large margin in the single threaded version of the benchmark (effectively with one hand tied behind its back). I have an older Pentium M chip, and it plays 720p video flawlessly at ~60-80% CPU usage and 1000-1866Mhz CPU clockrate; the new dualcores should have no problem with 1080p. On the other hand I've heard a lot of complaints regarding 720p skipping on the G4 PowerBooks.

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 05:24 AM

The MacBook Pro is an excellent upgrade to the iBook line. So I guess the replacement PowerBooks will be called MacBook Pro Extreme?

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 05:30 AM

Huh? MacBook Pro is to replace the PowerBooks. iBooks will have a different name, perhaps just MacBook.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 06:09 AM

I think hes trying to say the Macbook pro is good enough to be an iBook replacement, but as it stands, not as a powerbook replacement
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

aman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 06:36 AM

MacBook Pro does not sound like a product from Apple. Does anyone else think that Intel had something to do with the name choice?

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2006, 07:05 AM

First I was really exited of the new MacBook Pro, so I ordered a fully loaded 1.83GHz model.

But two days later I cancelled my order. I have been reading and thinking and decided I cant accept that Apple remove some of the features on the current PowerBook series. Especially the 8x Dual Layer DVD burner and FireWire 800!

So I'll keep my money in my pocket, and hope for a better release later on!
My rev. b 15" PowerBook G4 will last me some more months...

CaptainHaddock  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I think hes trying to say the Macbook pro is good enough to be an iBook replacement, but as it stands, not as a powerbook replacement
That unfortunately seems to be the case. Instead of adding new features that pro users need, they removed a few. I agree that the change in screen dimensions is no big deal, and few pros use dial-up Internet. But for this to be a pro machine, Apple should have at least kept FW800 and a dual-layer DVD writer. External SATA would have been a nice professional addition. So would the rumoured Flash boot cache.

Maybe the inevitable 17" will have some of these things, but the 15" MacBook Pro is indeed just an iBook upgrade.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 08:10 AM

One report is that there is no DL DVD burner that will fit into the MacBook's case. So it doesn't come with one because it can't. Not yet.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
the loss of Altivec makes some tasks slower than the current G4. For example, the reviewer said that H.264 trailers experienced noticeable skipping and frame dropping during playback on the MacBook, but the same trailers play smoothly on his G4 Powerbook.
That's because Apple's x86 implementation of the H.264 decoder is seriously lacking. On my Windows PC (Athlon 2500xp), VLC plays the 720p trailers on Apple's site flawlessly, whereas QuickTime struggles to show half a frame per second. AltiVec may be missing, but we're getting a lot in return as well. It will just take some time for all software to fully take advantage of it.

Edit: forgot to mention; my PowerBook G4 1.25GHz struggles with the same 720p trailers as well, although not as bad as QT on the PC.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Taking his points one by one:

5) I think the non-optional built-in iSight will hurt corportate sales (many companies ban cameras) and the inclusion of an infrared remote is odd (this is 2005, it should be Bluetooth).
It's a remote control, bluetooth would be overkill. Also, bluetooth EATS battery.

MAC-ALEX
Jan 12, 2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Evinyatar
That's because Apple's x86 implementation of the H.264 decoder is seriously lacking. On my Windows PC (Athlon 2500xp), VLC plays the 720p trailers on Apple's site flawlessly, whereas QuickTime struggles to show half a frame per second. AltiVec may be missing, but we're getting a lot in return as well. It will just take some time for all software to fully take advantage of it.

Edit: forgot to mention; my PowerBook G4 1.25GHz struggles with the same 720p trailers as well, although not as bad as QT on the PC.
Just wanted to test my PB G4 1.25Ghz FW800 and have got a Ice Age 2 D tralier 720p and it shows 25 fps without skip a frame, so not that bad. :-)

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
One report is that there is no DL DVD burner that will fit into the MacBook's case. So it doesn't come with one because it can't. Not yet.
But Apple managed to put a 8x Dual Layer burner inside the 17" PowerBook G4.
From what I read at the Apple site the 17" PB is thinner than the MacBook Pro as well...
* MacBook Pro - Height: 1.0 inch (2.59 cm)
* 17" PowerBook G4 - Thickness: 1.0 inch (2,54 cm)

But if thats really the case I hope Matshita, or others, come up with a DL burner that fit the PowerBook G4 successor later on.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2006, 09:17 AM

Double post. Please delete!

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by albook
But Apple managed to put a 8x Dual Layer burner inside the 17" PowerBook G4.
From what I read at the Apple site the 17" PB is thinner than the MacBook Pro as well...
* MacBook Pro - Height: 1.0 inch (2.59 cm)
* 17" PowerBook G4 - Thickness: 1.0 inch (2,54 cm)

But if thats really the case I hope Matshita, or others, come up with a DL burner that fit the PowerBook G4 successor later on.
It could be a depth issue though. The 17 inch powerbook is deeper than the Macbook pro.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Forum Links
Forum Rules