Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AirPort Express NIGHTMARES..

AirPort Express NIGHTMARES..
PConvert
Jan 24, 2006, 04:49 PM

So...I've been wrestling with my Airport Express for a while. I'm trying to use it to extend the length of my Linksys' wireless signal, but when I try to use the 'airport setup utility' software I can never get into the configuration...it gives me 'error communicating with base station'. =\

And when I click 'identify' under the wireless network selector on the Express' signal, it gives me a promt for a password that I don't know/never entered.
-Philadelphia, PA-

bourgeoisie
Jan 25, 2006, 04:14 AM

my first thought is to revisit your AX owners manual, there's probably instructions on how to reset it in case you forget the admin password. other airport models have this feature and i can't imagine apple leaving it out. it usually involves a paperclip in a small hole somewhere on the AX itself, giving you somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 minutes to get into airport setup util and try again. good luck
green links don't belong to me!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2006, 10:22 AM

While I've read that you can extend a non-AirPort base station with an AirPort Express, it isn't built to do that, so it's not quick and simple. In other words, it's not simple to extend a Linksys signal with an AirPort Express because the Express only wants to extend an AirPort signal.

Since I don't have an Express, I haven't tried to do what you're trying. You could search the forum to find "express" and "extend" but I'm not hopeful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

PConvert  (op)
Jan 25, 2006, 09:28 PM

Day 2, still not looking good ><.
-Philadelphia, PA-

blasto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 09:25 AM

Try connecting to the AX via ethernet and see if you can get in that way - turn wireless off on your mac to force the ethernet connection. If you can't config it via ethernet then send it back as a dud. I use an AX at the moment without any wireless (its being used as a bridge for a usb printer and for airtunes via my LAN - AP was freezing my ropey ibook) and airport admin works fine.
"Your karma's just run over my dogma"

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 11:17 AM

It's not that simple. My recollection is that you have install 3rd party firmware on the LinkSys to enable WDS (although some of the links below suggest that all you may have to do is to update to the latest LinkSys firmware.) You will have to do your own homework. See:

See THIS LINK and

THIS LINK and

THIS LINK

blasto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 11:40 AM

The initial problem seems to be accessing the AX though - that should work regardless of the linksys issue?
"Your karma's just run over my dogma"

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 12:26 PM

Are you connected to the AE wirelessly or wired? If the former, try a wired connection to access setup.

Forum Links
Forum Rules