Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > linking old LC575 to alPB17"

linking old LC575 to alPB17"
phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2006, 01:45 AM

Hi all!

as the title suggests i am looking for a way to link my old LC575 to my pb to transfer some old programs and files to my new system.

from what i can tell there are no cables that can be used to network the two systems. the internet is not a possibility since i can not get broadband on my LC. I also dont have a cd burner for the lc.

lol.. there arent any simple options that i know of other than getting a slightly newer 'old mac' (which i dont have lol) and link it with the LC and then get the stuff on a cd and transfer.

cheers,

robM

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 12, 2006, 10:26 AM

Help us out here! What model "new" Mac do you have and what OS is it running? What OS do you have on the LC?

phoenix78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2006, 10:47 PM

I only have an LC575 running 7.5.3

i currently have a pb17" 1.67Ghz

i have no other machine that could be used as a go-between... ie) an old mac that is slightly newer than the lc that could still communicate with the old LC and the powerbook.

i realise it may be an impossible task so it is ok if it cant be done.

cheers

robM

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 12, 2006, 11:35 PM

It's not completely impossible. Assuming that your PB is not running Tiger, you could get an AsanteTalk Appletalk-to-Ethernet bridge to connect the serial port of the LC475 to the ethernet port of the PB and file share using Appletalk. This will work if your PB is running OS 10.3.9 or older, but not if it is running Tiger.

You will also need a PhoneNet Connector.

The connection is LC575 serial port to Phonenet Connector to AsanteTalk to PB.

phoenix78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2006, 09:59 AM

tnx

i shall take a look at that option. if it is too expensive i may not do it though.

cheers,

robM

Forum Links
Forum Rules