Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook - black or white?

MacBook - black or white? (Page 4)
mathew_m
Senior User
May 29, 2006, 02:24 PM

It seems to me that people will defend their purchases. If they go white they use the "clean" and "cheaper" arguement. If they go black they use the "nicer looking" and "more powerfull" arguement.

I think the black is probably worth the premium if you can afford it. Also the most important thing is that you're happy with your purchase.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have found more people complaining about issues with the black model than the white. In those cases I have to believe that there is that "damn, I paid a premium for this and I'm still not content" factor. That's one of the reasons I cancelled my blackbook order and will go with the baseline white.

In the end though I kept going back to the graphics chip. For $999 (Amazon w/rebate) I can live with poor 3d and core graphics performance. However at $400 more I can't. That $400 can allow me to soup up my whitebook and even have some cash left over. I'm telling you that a souped up whitebook will have better resale value down the road than a blackbook. Especially when Apple no longer charges a premium for black.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 29, 2006, 02:40 PM

I think the black is probably worth the premium if you can afford it. Also the most important thing is that you're happy with your purchase.
I'm just glad the white was cheaper, because I much prefer the look. If I had preferred the black I would have been p!ssed it cost more though. There is no (good) reason for the BlacBook to cost $150 more.

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
It seems to me that people will defend their purchases. If they go white they use the "clean" and "cheaper" arguement. If they go black they use the "nicer looking" and "more powerfull" arguement.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have found more people complaining about issues with the black model than the white. In those cases I have to believe that there is that "damn, I paid a premium for this and I'm still not content" factor. That's one of the reasons I cancelled my blackbook order and will go with the baseline white.

In the end though I kept going back to the graphics chip. For $999 (Amazon w/rebate) I can live with poor 3d and core graphics performance. However at $400 more I can't. That $400 can allow me to soup up my whitebook and even have some cash left over. I'm telling you that a souped up whitebook will have better resale value down the road than a blackbook. Especially when Apple no longer charges a premium for black.
I don't think the "cheaper" "more powerful" argument is valid. My white MacBook neeared $2000 because of the upgrades I put on it. My MacBook is more powerful than most BlackBooks, and it looks much better! Yes, people will defend their purchases. Black/scratches, white/slicker looking. The "power" argument is moot for reasons I stated above. I hardly think a 20GB HDD upgrade is more "power".

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
Looks great, but you could've focused on something else than the command key.
I'm just guessing, but maybe he focussed on the command key because it's got an Apple logo on it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
There is no (good) reason for the BlacBook to cost $150 more.
Well I suppose you meant for consumers. For Apple as a business there is a very good reason.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 29, 2006, 03:01 PM

Leon Festinger proposed a "Cognitive Dissonance" theory that was very popular around the 1970s. Basically, numerous studies pointed out that when people make a weighty decision (5.2 pounds?) to buy something they actively seek out reviews and materials that support that decision. They also actively discount and discredit reviews and materials that go counter to their personal decision, even going so far as to forget about those dissonant materials.

After years of white iBooks, black sells and people are willing to pay a premium for it. But then, if money is tight or if you start having problems with the MB, justifying that decision requires praising your purchase and badmouthing the model you didn't purchase.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 03:05 PM

I'd pay an extra $150 for a forward delete key.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Dr.Michael
May 29, 2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
Leon Festinger proposed a "Cognitive Dissonance" theory that was very popular around the 1970s. Basically, numerous studies pointed out that when people make a weighty decision (5.2 pounds?) to buy something they actively seek out reviews and materials that support that decision. They also actively discount and discredit reviews and materials that go counter to their personal decision, even going so far as to forget about those dissonant materials.

After years of white iBooks, black sells and people are willing to pay a premium for it. But then, if money is tight or if you start having problems with the MB, justifying that decision requires praising your purchase and badmouthing the model you didn't purchase.
This is one of the most informed and interesting posts I have read here in weeks.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I'd pay an extra $150 for a better GPU.

[hides]

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 03:11 PM

I went with white for two reasons.

1) By getting the 1.83 model, I can use the cash saved to max out RAM and get a bigger HD

2) It matches my iMac

Black is sexy, but a loaded 1.83 for about the same price is way sexier. Plus, I don't need the superdrive, i have one on the iMac.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 29, 2006, 03:30 PM

You can do forward-delete by pressing function-delete. Not as good as a dedicated button, but handy if it keeps you from mousing around.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86780

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 04:41 PM

How about remapping the superfluous (to most people) enter key by the right command key? That's what I did on my 12" PowerBook. I'll only charge you $100 for that advice.

I used DoubleCommand to remap it, BTW.

Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
How about remapping the superfluous (to most people) enter key by the right command key? That's what I did on my 12" PowerBook. I'll only charge you $100 for that advice.

I used DoubleCommand to remap it, BTW.
Well I know that, it isn't all that natural hitting F12 to forward delete though and I hate having to explain that one to everyone who uses it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 07:22 PM

Why can't we just all get along?

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 10:04 PM

Does the $150 really make that much of a difference? You're already dropping over $1,000 on the laptop. I'm pretty sure most people who chose not to get the black are doing it simply because they don't think the black is worth it, not because they can't afford it. However, if the $150 for the black is going to break you, you probably shouldn't be buying a laptop anyway.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 29, 2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by angelp
Does the $150 really make that much of a difference? You're already dropping over $1,000 on the laptop.

Well I can technically afford the blackbook. However I don't need the Superdrive and the difference in benchmarks of universal apps is only a few seconds. They also made the unit much more upgradeable so I can drop in the ram and upgrade the hard drive with ease.

It's not that I don't want the black. Its just that I think within a revision we'll see the color option across the board. Or even better they'll fit a dedicated graphics chip in there. When that happens, it will hurt the resale value of the blackbooks.

And let's face it; the blackbook is there to earn a profit for Apple. They are not making nearly as much off of the base model. Right now I think Apple has enough money and I'm not rich enough to play charity with them.

Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by angelp
Does the $150 really make that much of a difference? You're already dropping over $1,000 on the laptop. I'm pretty sure most people who chose not to get the black are doing it simply because they don't think the black is worth it, not because they can't afford it. However, if the $150 for the black is going to break you, you probably shouldn't be buying a laptop anyway.
bingo.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

michaelb
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 01:04 AM

Right now I think Apple has enough money and I'm not rich enough to play charity with them.
Apple is making money but not nearly as much as other PC makers, including Dell, Acer, and HP. And unlike other PC manufacturers, it has to do all the work involved in creating an OS to run on its machines.

It also doesn't get the same sponsorship kickbacks for all the pre-installed junk which each of the first tier PC makers install. (Though maybe Google pays them something for having the Google Widget pre-installed, I'm not sure, but in any case the value relationship would be low simply because of the lower volume.)

50% of Apple's revenue now comes from iPods, which for now are generating healthy revenue. However, fashions change and that is unlikely to last forever. The company is still less than a sixth the size of Microsoft in terms of market cap and that is with very high valuations based on that iPod revenue. They have a tenth of the cash reserves which will be needed in the coming years for R&D and capital investment. Its OS and software sales are a fraction of Microsoft's, and don't provide nearly the level of cash cow as Microsoft's Windows and Office sales do. To be sustainable, every product Apple makes has to generate a profit.

Buy the product that suits you, but to use the excuse that Apple is making too much money is a bit unfair to the company.

Personally, I'd prefer to be overcharged slightly for a cuddly black case rather than have it slightly cheaper from being loaded with toolbar-spyware-trial-nagware crap everywhere.

hldan
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
It is totally a matter of tastes. They both look cool.

The white is more classic Apple and different but the black comes of more hard core and serious.

You choose which you like more.
Um no, the black is classic Apple. The black MB is not even jet black. It's the same color as all of Apple's famous PowerBooks, It's sort of a dark brownish black which is reminicent of the classic Pismo, Wallstreet and PowerBook 5300. The first iBook wasn't even white so there's nothing classic about the white, it's just that the iBook is best known for being white.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 01:34 AM

Also the most important thing is that you're happy with your purchase.
Amen!

mathew_m
Senior User
May 30, 2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb
Buy the product that suits you, but to use the excuse that Apple is making too much money is a bit unfair to the company.

Personally, I'd prefer to be overcharged slightly for a cuddly black case rather than have it slightly cheaper from being loaded with toolbar-spyware-trial-nagware crap everywhere.

I think you misunderstood. Apple has gotten plenty of my money. When I receive my Macbook it will be my 4th Mac purchased in five years. Not to mention the $1K+ I've spent on software upgrades (OS X, Final Cut Studio et cetera) and the 2 iPods I''ve purchased. While that may be chicken feed to many members here, how many PC users are actually that loyal to Dell or HP?

I'm fully aware of what Apple delivers in their products and that's the reason I continue to buy them. However I'm no fool with my money (at least I try not to be). I can just see Steve Jobs looking at the white Macbook prototype and saying "what if we paint it black and charge $150 more...." all with that mischievous grin of his. I actually respect that about him and I try to approach my own business (wedding videograph) with the same capitalist zeal.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 30, 2006, 01:57 AM

bingo.
I would expect that you would agree with that.

However think of that black Macbook as an investment. I've been reading reports that buyers of that model have been spending upwards of $2K by maxing out the memory and hard drive. At that price point you can buy a Macbook Pro and have machine that will be much more future proof.

I'd wager that the blackbook is doing so well that we'll see the next MBP enclosure come in black.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 30, 2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
The black MB is not even jet black......The first iBook wasn't even white so there's nothing classic about the white, it's just that the iBook is best known for being white.
Um, it's pretty black. Have you seen it personally?

White is classic Apple to the eyes of many people. Why? Not because the original Powerbook was black but because all of the modern, post iMac G3's have been white. Also there are no other computer manufactures (at least major ones) producing a white computer.

You could argue actually that beige or was it taupe? is the classic Apple color if you really want to date yourself.

banksey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 02:35 AM

I don't get why everyone is arguing. Everyone bought their macbook for a certain reason. I personally saw the Blackbook and thought "neat, it will match my ipod". I was in the market for a new laptop and this one came at the perfect time. The white is sexy as well, but I don't like how the inside is a different shade of white. I also like how the black is easier on the eyes.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2006, 03:04 AM

While that may be chicken feed to many members here, how many PC users are actually that loyal to Dell or HP?
I think this is a fundamental difference between companies like Dell or HP and Apple.

Apple offers something exclusively, namely computers that run OS X, iLife, iWork, etc. When it comes to this software, it's either Apple or bust.

OTOH companies like Dell are completely exchangeable. People buy a Dell because (they think) it's the cheapest. If they're not satisfied 100% or if Dell is more expensive next time around, those buyers will get their PC from another manufacturer. Any PC will do and apart from configuration options and design (size, weight, look) they are all pretty much equal. What difference does it make if you get an Acer or a Dell notebook? If they look more or less the same and they have the same chipset, the price tag will determine which one to get. There are only very few PC notebooks that manage to get a distinct reputation (for example the ThinkPad) and generate a loyal customer base.

IMHO this is one the main reasons Apple is so different from Dell. Dell has to be cheap. Apple has to generate hype. Dell has to sell many units (due to their lower margins), Apple has to appear exclusive. If Dell screws a customer, they'll lose him. Apple's arrogance (for example charging $150 for a black case) has much to do with this.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by amazing
Exactly! I was one of the people really hoping for an alternative to white, but alas I am definitely not convinced by Apple's black MacBook, which I see has more finish issues, and costs $150 more, simply for the privilege of black, after so many years of white. I think not.

If you truly prefer black enough to pay the premium, go ahead. I mean people do pay more just for small cosmetic details on cars. But I certainly cannot justify that premium just for a change which I don't even think is beneficial overall.

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Why can't we just all get along?
Great episode!

Um no, the black is classic Apple. The black MB is not even jet black. It's the same color as all of Apple's famous PowerBooks, It's sort of a dark brownish black which is reminicent of the classic Pismo, Wallstreet and PowerBook 5300.
No, the black MacBook is not of the same color and finish of the PowerBooks of old. I know, because I owned one, and there were no finish or grease mark issues with those. I also agree that the white is the "new classic" for Apple because it is pretty exclusive to Apple notebooks and has been used for a number of years now.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 12:50 PM

I was so convince that I was going to get the Black MacBook cause I like the look and feel of it a lot. Seems the keys on the keyboard was higher quality on the Black MacBook too. Well, I end up getting the lowest-end MacBook. Damn you bastards for convincing me to get that instead.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 03:15 PM

Um no, the black is classic Apple. The black MB is not even jet black. It's the same color as all of Apple's famous PowerBooks, It's sort of a dark brownish black which is reminicent of the classic Pismo,
Where are you seeing this? I never saw a trace of brown in the slightest on all the ones I have seen in person.

it is a pure, matte, black.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

ashesindust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 03:41 PM

Lets just say that both models look good and people have different taste for color so even if this discussion reaches 10 pages we still won't agree because were not the same.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yandel
Lets just say that both models look good and people have different taste for color so even if this discussion reaches 10 pages we still won't agree because were not the same.
Welcome to the forums. We like to argue things until we drop dead. Join in.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 04:25 PM

Haha.

Hey, it passes time. Its all good.

White rules.

[email protected]
May 31, 2006, 01:29 AM

white for me. The black looks cheap to me.

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 01:34 AM

^^ Exactamundo!

mathew_m
Senior User
May 31, 2006, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by kobi
white for me. The black looks cheap to me.
Really? While in my bathroom today I noticed that the toliet seat lid looks exactly like the same plastic used on the whitebook. Ditto for my coffee maker. I can see liking white better for a few reasons, namely the keyboard and trackpad looking clean (though I think the glossy white exterior shows smears worse than the black) but to say that the black looks cheap

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 03:58 AM

Really? While in my bathroom today I noticed that the toliet seat lid looks exactly like the same plastic used on the whitebook. Ditto for my coffee maker. I can see liking white better for a few reasons, namely the keyboard and trackpad looking clean (though I think the glossy white exterior shows smears worse than the black) but to say that the black looks cheap
The white looks very clean, shiny and glossy - angelic, almost - the black shows every scratch and smudge (very cheap looking IMO).

MissViciousVixen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 07:56 AM

Goodness sugars! All this babble about white vs. black. Honestly, save the $150 bucks and drive on up to Santa Monica Blvd. on a Thursday night and get a "Jason Presley" special by my special friend Miss Understood. Honestly--she won't leave any scratches, or any unnecessary fingerprints.

Or for that matter, I can perform a special herbal cleaning douche on you. White gloves--you get normal rates. Black gloves, well hun, I'll need to charge you an extra $150 bucks. Just because. You know. You are a (what us girls in the trade like to call) SuKrs.

Either way, have fun.

Love and Kisses,

Miss Vicioius Vixen (oh-gosh-my-lee-press-on-nail-just-got-stuck-to-my-black-macbook) Mission Stardust
"I can't believe its not butter!"

masugu
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MissViciousVixen
Goodness sugars! All this babble about white vs. black. Honestly, save the $150 bucks and drive on up to Santa Monica Blvd. on a Thursday night and get a "Jason Presley" special by my special friend Miss Understood. Honestly--she won't leave any scratches, or any unnecessary fingerprints.

Or for that matter, I can perform a special herbal cleaning douche on you. White gloves--you get normal rates. Black gloves, well hun, I'll need to charge you an extra $150 bucks. Just because. You know. You are a (what us girls in the trade like to call) SuKrs.

Either way, have fun.

Love and Kisses,

Miss Vicioius Vixen (oh-gosh-my-lee-press-on-nail-just-got-stuck-to-my-black-macbook) Mission Stardust
HAHAHAHA I needed a laugh this morning. Thanks MissViciousVixen... Umm, what pray tell is a Jason Priestly special? But perhaps more importantly, will *I* feel special afterward?
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2006, 12:48 PM

Well, sweetie, what I would want would definitely cost more than $150. But thanks for the offer.

reybart
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=mathew_m]I would expect that you would agree with that.

However think of that black Macbook as an investment. I've been reading reports that buyers of that model have been spending upwards of $2K by maxing out the memory and hard drive. At that price point you can buy a Macbook Pro and have machine that will be much more future proof.

This is the reason why I exchanged my MBP 17" for the black. Imagine the 10% restocking fee plus the 150 difference for the blackbook. I think it is a matter of taste and how much you can really afford. As I observed, people love the black but do not like the higher price.

MissViciousVixen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
HAHAHAHA I needed a laugh this morning. Thanks MissViciousVixen... Umm, what pray tell is a Jason Priestly special? But perhaps more importantly, will *I* feel special afterward?
Hun,

A Jason Priestly Special consists of a very discreet (hmm...how can I word this without raising eyebrows) maneuver of the hand done by a very professional occupational therapist known for specialized physical therapy on certain regions of the male anatomy. Discreet. Highly focused. And oh-so satisfactory. Kinda like the feeling you get after watching rerun episodes of Beverly Hills 90201 on some overpriced premium cable channel you wonder why you subscribe too.

Will you feel special afterwards, sugar? Well, if you are someone who believes spending $150 bucks to Apple for some black plastic makes you feel content, hun, you are GUARANTEED to feel great with a Miss Understood Jason Priestly Special.

XX OO

Miss Vicious Vixen (your-freak'n-Shannon Doherty-pepper-corn-eye-is-freak'n-me-out) Mission Stardust
"I can't believe its not butter!"

masugu
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 08:24 PM

Well I guess I better light up a Marlboro Miss Vicious... I just got back from the San Francisco Apple store with a BlacBook in hand. 2 Gigs of memory a comin' from OWC via 2-day express and I will be feeling even more special / content than I do - now. If that is possible.

Actually, I don't smoke...but you get the sentiment.

PJJames
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 09:48 PM

Switched to white....
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2006, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by PJJames
Switched to white....
I hope it doesn't clash with your purse.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2006, 11:55 PM

I noticed the inside (palm rests) of the MacBooks is matte white, not glossy. It seemed a bit dirty to me on the showfloor.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2006, 12:12 AM

It's actually more of a light gray, compared to the pure white of the top and bottom.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 4, 2006, 12:25 AM

My first post on my new BlacBook!!!

Loving it so far. Just downloaded a boatload of OS updates... Opted NOT to transfer all my files. Figure it is a good time to purge.

Thought I saw some pink hue...but just paranoia. This place (macnn) can do that to ya.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2006, 12:31 AM

I went with the 1099 White MacBook, and the main reason, was that that superdrive that is in either one of the other two models isn't Dual Layer. The only other difference is a tiny bit of speed, and 20gb of HDD space? Not worth 400.00 more to me. 400.00 is 2gb of RAM, and a nice external DL DVD/RW.

-cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2006, 12:47 AM

No, the black MacBook is not of the same color and finish of the PowerBooks of old. I know, because I owned one, and there were no finish or grease mark issues with those. I also agree that the white is the "new classic" for Apple because it is pretty exclusive to Apple notebooks and has been used for a number of years now.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what planet you are on but the Pismos always showed grease marks on the lid and everywhere else. Nothing has changed on the black MacBook from the way the Pismos showed grease marks it's just that we haven't seen a black Apple computer in so long nobody is used to the sensitive finish.
( Last edited by hldan; Jun 4, 2006 at 01:11 AM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2006, 06:23 AM

I don't know what planet you are on but the Pismos always showed grease marks on the lid and everywhere else. Nothing has changed on the black MacBook from the way the Pismos showed grease marks it's just that we haven't seen a black Apple computer in so long nobody is used to the sensitive finish.
I've been living on Mars Colony 1, but that's neither here nor there. I never had a Pismo. Perhaps that was the exception. I had a PB 1400, and that didn't easily show grease marks, like most other PowerBook models.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2006, 08:51 AM

I don't really think that's true. The Pismo might have showed some grease on the rubberized middle section, but I don't ever recall it being an issue (and I still have one that I use almost every day). It's not just that the black MacBook is black, it's that it has a different finish than any earlier Mac, and that seems to make hand oils show up more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules