Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVD Player can't read VIDEO_TS folders anymore.

DVD Player can't read VIDEO_TS folders anymore.
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 12, 2006, 12:49 AM

Can DVD Player no longer read VIDEO_TS folders off the hard disk? I have one on my internal drive right now, and if I try to open it DVD Player says it doesn't support the media type.

However, if I open it right on the original DVD, it works just fine. The copy on my hard disk is simply a drag-n-drop direct copy of the one on the DVD (not copy protected), but DVD Player doesn't like it. Also, if I use MacTheRipper to rip the folder to my hard disk, it still doesn't work.

What's even weirder is if I take that VIDEO_TS folder on my hard disk and burn it to a new DVD, then DVD Player can read it just fine off the new DVD. It just won't read the folder when it's on the hard disk.

Has anyone noticed this recently? Is this a new thing? Opening VIDEO_TS folders worked fine for me before. It would be a major pain for me if we lost the ability to read VIDEO_TS folders off the hard drive. (When I travel, I rip a bunch of DVDs to my laptop's hard drive to watch on the plane.)

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X 10.4.8
DVD Player 4.6.5
Non protected DVD from my standalone DVD recorder.

P
Oct 12, 2006, 01:27 PM

It still works for me if I select "Open DVD media" from within DVD player. If you can't get it to work, VLC will play VIDEO_TS folders, and DVD Player works fine with mounted disk images. Have you tried that?

Meritocracy
Oct 23, 2006, 06:07 AM

You're not the only one Eug, as I've also noticed DVD players newfound lack of this once handy ability. I'm not sure what particular update removed this option, but it's a recent development. Unfortunately, the dreaded 'The media type not supported' message seems here to stay, unless of course you've acquired some additional info on this issue in the interim.

iMac G5
DVD Player 4.6.5
Unprotected VIDEO_TS folder
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2006, 09:41 PM

Might it be a 10.4.8 issue? P - what version are you running?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 10:35 PM

It still works for me with 10.4.8 on both my PowerBook and Intel iMac.
Vandelay Industries

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 10:40 PM

works fine for me on my G5 iMac running 10.4.8.

-r.
( Last edited by rjenkinson; Oct 25, 2006 at 10:51 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 07:55 PM

Works fine for me on my PB running 10.4.8

OAW

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 10:33 PM

Works fine on my iMac G5 with 10.4.8 and DVD Player 4.6.5. Do you still have your G5 iMac around to try it on, Eug?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 11:17 PM

Yep. Works here, too.

Meritocracy
Oct 28, 2006, 01:29 AM

An update to the problem Eug and I were suffering from. After testing, I've discovered, at least on my system, that DVD Player will "only" read the folder in question if it's specifically named "VIDEO_TS". Anything that deviates from this, i.e. nameofmovie... etc. and it chokes. I'm not positive if this is a new development caused by a specific OS update, or if it's always been the case, and I hadn't noticed until recently. I tend to think it's the former, but have no direct evidence to support the assumption. In any case, try this tip out Eug, and I think you'll see that this will also be your experience.
( Last edited by Meritocracy; Oct 28, 2006 at 07:27 AM. )
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

gMan
Nov 3, 2006, 08:45 AM

This really annoys me. I have tested it on three macs. They each have all the latest updates installed. So identical software versions on each:

OS X 10.4.8, DVD player 4.6.5, DVD player framework 4.6.9

They are
- A 2GHz iMac G5
- A 1.5GHz PowerBook G4
- A new Mac Pro

I placed a copy of the SAME VIDEO_TS FOLDER on the hard drive of each machine.

The results: On the PowerBook and the iMac, DVD player will happily play the movie. On the Mac Pro, it will refuse, with the "The media type is not supported" message.

Wonderful! Makes me think it is a firmware thing or a difference in the Intel version of DVD player? But then people above report success on an Intel iMac so go figure. Frankly I think its stupid and I hope it is a bug and that Apple will fix it. Otherwise they are removing a feature that is very useful to a lot of people, and not just people who pirate movies I might add!

P
Nov 3, 2006, 01:28 PM

Makes me think that the reason might be that the path to the VIDEO_TS folder might contain some odd characters - spaces, perhaps? Does it work if you put the folder in the root?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 11:17 PM

I had an eMac with a Superdrive do this to me out of the blue, the only way I could correct it was be reinstalling OSX.

mds_gas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 05:25 PM

Did you ever get a resolution to this. I am using the 17" Macbook Pro with DVD Player v 4.6.5 and am unable to read VIDEO_TS files. I have the same configuration on my desktop which is an older iMac (i.e. not the Intel core duo) and do not have the problem. I would really like to solve this if possible.

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
Can DVD Player no longer read VIDEO_TS folders off the hard disk? I have one on my internal drive right now, and if I try to open it DVD Player says it doesn't support the media type.

However, if I open it right on the original DVD, it works just fine. The copy on my hard disk is simply a drag-n-drop direct copy of the one on the DVD (not copy protected), but DVD Player doesn't like it. Also, if I use MacTheRipper to rip the folder to my hard disk, it still doesn't work.

What's even weirder is if I take that VIDEO_TS folder on my hard disk and burn it to a new DVD, then DVD Player can read it just fine off the new DVD. It just won't read the folder when it's on the hard disk.

Has anyone noticed this recently? Is this a new thing? Opening VIDEO_TS folders worked fine for me before. It would be a major pain for me if we lost the ability to read VIDEO_TS folders off the hard drive. (When I travel, I rip a bunch of DVDs to my laptop's hard drive to watch on the plane.)

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X 10.4.8
DVD Player 4.6.5
Non protected DVD from my standalone DVD recorder.

gMan
Dec 1, 2006, 06:30 AM

There aren't any odd characters or spaces in the path, the problem occurs even with just a VIDEO_TS folder sitting in the root of my startup drive.

I still haven't found any resolution, apart from playing them with VLC. But the interface is not nearly as nice.

The other workaround is to get Toast (or similar) to turn the VIDEO_TS folder into a DVD image file, which you can then mount and DVD Player will happily treat it as though it is a real DVD.

But still, less than ideal really....

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 09:37 AM

You have tried trashing Prefs, right?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 11:27 PM

Not working here either. 10.4.8 MacPro, all updates applied.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules