Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need a new display for my G5..ideas?

Need a new display for my G5..ideas?
NordicMan
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2006, 04:18 PM

I have used a 17" Apple display for several years now, which has worked just fine. There are but few places on the screen which have become funky.

But, I wish to get me a 20 or 23 or 24 inch sized display.

I almost got one of the Apple displays last winter, but there seem to be various complaints that one reads about, and so I put that on hold. I got an intel iMac in stead(nice). But now that will be going to the office(of our small business).

So, I am looking once again. I just about got one of those 24" CRT LaCies. I used to have a 19" CRT LaCie, which while it had some problems,, as it was the first of its kind, is one of those things thå† happens, and it gave a good picture. I really would like to get an LCD display, as it takes up so much less room.

I want something of quality that is easy on the eyes. Of course, it is nice to save a buck, but it is best to take care of your eyes.

Sorry for the long query, but any good ideas?

iMacfan
Senior User
Nov 24, 2006, 04:50 PM

Really, it depends just how good you want. Noone is going to blame you for getting a widescreen Dell - they aren't perfect (they have 'Dell' on them for a start), but they are very good value for money. Likewise, I do really think that Apple displays are usually decent (barring the odd lemon), but you pay a significant premium for that aluminium case.

If you fancy something different, you can't go wrong with either Samsung or Eizo. I got an Eizo 24" s2410w, and love it, but can't really tell if it's that much better than an Apple or a Dell - it uses the same panel as the Dell, but it's important to realise that backlight, electronics and firmware are a very important 50% of the equation. They've reduced the prices on the 21" and 24" widescreens significantly (here in the UK at least), so they are about equivalent on price to the Apple 20" and 24" - I also like the plain black enclosure - it's solid but not flashy.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2006, 06:07 PM

i really like the price of dells displays, i hate dell but i am a poor student and a dell 30" is a price i am working for. i wish apple was that cheap...*edit* inexpensive.

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2006, 06:54 PM

Dells are great because of the many inputs they have on them, DVI VGA, some with composite video and s-Video, oh and the low prices.

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

NordicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2006, 09:15 PM

Thank you gentlemen,

I do fancy something different. You are right, the dells have the wrong name on them. But, I will have to look at them.

One day many years ago, I was pondering whether to get a dell computer, which I am glad that I went with a Mac. When I first saw Apple computers, I loved them, but they were then so expensive, that was even before the Mac, the IIGS. It was a great computer for its time.

Well, anyway, I looked at dells years later. The salesman said to me he had a special deal for me since I was from Wisconsin. I said "Oh, what is that?" He said they would paint it green and gold for free. (Those are the colours of the Green Bay Packers.) I had to laugh about that.

The Samsungs and the Eizo, I will too. I think Eizo is more common to the UK, but I will search a bit.

It used to be that there was a nice HP display, the same hardware as the Apple, if I recall, in the 23", but I haven't looked for quite a while.

Thanks for the consideration.

NordicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 06:24 AM

The Eizo is so well reviewed, it is quite attractive. It is expensive ,more than the Apple displays.

Forum Links
Forum Rules