Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What kind of shoes do you buy? (men's)

What kind of shoes do you buy? (men's)
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 09:53 AM

I've developed significant knee problems over the last few years, and I've found that I can help this situation with the right shoes. As an example, I picked up a very supportive pair of hiking boots, and now I can tolerate a day in a theme park with the kids without continual intake of Tylenol. I spend 8 hours a day at work, and figured my next step should be better shoes for work. I'm currently wearing Rockports, which are better than others, but compared to the hiking boots, I may as well be barefoot. I used to have some Johnston & Murphy's that I really liked, but looking back, I think they were just really soft, not really supportive.

So, do any of you have good work (business casual) shoes that you find to be good and supportive?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 10:10 AM

Maybe you need shoe inserts. Have you considered seeing an orthopaedist?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 10:34 AM

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 11:27 AM

brown smart shoes. (no laces!)
goes with anything.
we don't have time to stop for gas

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 11:59 AM

I don't buy anything but Merrell. I think the company originally made european hiking shoes, but they make loads of different styles, from casual to dress. They hold up well too.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
I don't buy anything but Merrell. I think the company originally made european hiking shoes, but they make loads of different styles, from casual to dress. They hold up well too.
That's the brand of the hiking shoes I wear when not at work.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2007, 01:31 PM

Question: How can shoes (as opposed to boots) give you the kind of support you're looking for?

If you can go with boots, grab a pair of Hi-Tech Magnum Classics, all leather. Supportive enough for you to engage in an 8-hour rooftop fire fight with Jack Bauer, comfy enough to wear without socks. Coppers wear them, so they can look somewhat "dressy".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 01:33 PM

Old camper style was nice.

These days I use Timberland, good shoes/boots over all.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24ยจ, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 02:07 PM

I got a nice pair of Sketchers. They don't look like Sketchers at all but they are very comfortable even when I wear them or drive all day.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2007, 02:30 PM

I have worn Birkenstock clogs and shoes for the past sixteen years and will never wear anything else. My dress shoes are black patent leather loafers made my the Birkenstock line Footprints. My day-to-day BIrks are Londons and Bostons.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2007, 02:39 PM

I have similar needs. I usually just poke around the store until I find something that suits me really well. A lot of times it's Reebok, but sometimes some other brand will have some shoe out that gives really nice support. My current shoes are Avia.

I agree with Doofy, though. You might want to look at boots. If you look around, you can find some men's models that are attractive enough to wear around everywhere.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 04:12 PM

usually i stick to a 4" heel; but some times...

oh wait. crap!

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 04:54 PM

I have a pair of Timberland blue suede. Well, Nubuckโ„ข actually, feels like suede.
( Last edited by BlueSky; Feb 25, 2007 at 05:16 PM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 05:05 PM

blue shoes? oh so gangsta!
we don't have time to stop for gas

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 05:25 PM

I'm reclaiming them for Elvis.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Feb 25, 2007, 05:58 PM

I got knee problems, too. I use knee supports, though. Although I've found that boots are quite comfortable and do ease the pain a bit.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 06:08 PM

those camper shoes are cool, and they got a cool website too.

are the shoes high quality, cause i might buy a pair soon, but i want to know im getting my moneys worth.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 07:33 PM

I bought a pair of these.. Power Lounger Low Dark Garnet by Timberland weeks ago. I paid $50 for it.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 09:05 PM

Personally I love boots. I'm actually in the market for new ones right now as my current pair is starting to go (holes developing in the soles).

I'm leaning towards a pair of Georgia boots, probably the 11" waterproof Wellingtons. I want something comfortable for just walking around in, but also durable for heavy outdoor use and waterproof for ...water. I've also been considering a pair of Frye's, but the only ones I really like the look of are the harness boots, and I'm a little skeptical about how well suited those would be to working outdoors in dirt and mud (if nothing else, it would be a pain to clean under the harnesses). For the past 10 years or so I've been wearing Blundstones. They're great boots, comfortable and durable (I'm only on my second pair in those 10 years), but this time I'd really prefer some pull-ons and the only pull-ons that Blundstone makes are paddock boots, which I don't want.

But uh, yeah, shoes. I also need to replace my casual shoes as the soles are also falling apart on those. I was thinking maybe Clark's but haven't decided yet.

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 09:08 PM

Another vote for Campers. Discovered them in Spain years ago and they since have exploded all over the world. Sure they're no longer kinda cheap, but will that stopping me from buying pair after pair? Ummmm...no.

Ruf993Turbo
Feb 25, 2007, 09:10 PM

I wear salvatore ferragamo's anthony drivers daily....they are one of the most comfortable shoes ever. you guys should check them out. saucony's are also very comfortable.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 09:17 PM

Black basic shoes. Vans. I keep an extra pair around, and have them imported.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I've developed significant knee problems over the last few years, and I've found that I can help this situation with the right shoes. As an example, I picked up a very supportive pair of hiking boots, and now I can tolerate a day in a theme park with the kids without continual intake of Tylenol. I spend 8 hours a day at work, and figured my next step should be better shoes for work. I'm currently wearing Rockports, which are better than others, but compared to the hiking boots, I may as well be barefoot. I used to have some Johnston & Murphy's that I really liked, but looking back, I think they were just really soft, not really supportive.

So, do any of you have good work (business casual) shoes that you find to be good and supportive?
First, switch from Tylenol to Advil (antiinflamitory). I also have knee problems. My orthopedic Dr. told me I can take up to 800 mg of Advil (Ibuprofen) four times a day. As for shoes, I think any good quality shoe will be good as long as it fits correctly and you replace them when they need it. Daily worn shoes should be replaced every six months or more often if excessively worn. Also, you may want to try some knee supports. These help support my knees, especially when going down stairs. Please consult your doctor before taking any medical steps. If you are overweight, please try to lose some of it. I lost 30 pounds in a year. My knees are still bad, but would be worse with that extra weight still on me.
macforray

Seattle
Feb 25, 2007, 11:39 PM

I almost always wear ECCO shoes. They are kind of pricey though.

ECCO

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 11:42 PM

Born shoes are amazing in my opinion...well worth the money...

Bornshoes.com - The Official Born Shoes Website

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 11:51 PM

I wear a pair of blu Cons (Chuck Taylors) most of the time... or classic DrMarten's that ive had for like ages.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2007, 12:03 AM

These are my favorite.

Nunn Bush Bristol - Black

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2007, 12:04 AM

I love my Onitsuka Tigers.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 12:35 AM

I love ALDO Shoes.

They're where I get most of my shoes, especially casual. I do have a pair of black Chucks that I used, but they feel like crap. I only wear them because they go with a lot of the stuff that I own. I couldn't find a picture of my Aldo shoes that I wear all the time, but they've got a lot of good stuff that feels as good as it looks.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2007, 02:32 AM

I wear these for lounging and stints in my AMG DTM racer:

don't step on my:

ice

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by hickey View Post
those camper shoes are cool, and they got a cool website too.

are the shoes high quality, cause i might buy a pair soon, but i want to know im getting my moneys worth.
Another vote for Campers. Discovered them in Spain years ago and they since have exploded all over the world. Sure they're no longer kinda cheap, but will that stopping me from buying pair after pair? Ummmm...no.
what he said

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
First, switch from Tylenol to Advil (antiinflamitory). I also have knee problems. My orthopedic Dr. told me I can take up to 800 mg of Advil (Ibuprofen) four times a day.
I get no relief from ibuprofen. I get plenty from Tylenol. I'm told that's common among people with arthritis.

Also, you may want to try some knee supports. These help support my knees, especially when going down stairs.
I was told I wasn't really a candidate for braces. I think they're mostly for lateral support, and I have a problem with the bones grinding on each other (I had my meniscus removed).

Please consult your doctor before taking any medical steps. If you are overweight, please try to lose some of it. I lost 30 pounds in a year. My knees are still bad, but would be worse with that extra weight still on me.
I've never been overweight, though my change in activity level due to my knees does cause me concern. I haven't played sports regularly in nearly two years, but I've only gained 3 or 4 pounds, so hopefully that won't become an issue. The only exercise I've ever really enjoyed is soccer, and it's killing me that I can't play.

nbnz
Senior User
Feb 26, 2007, 08:47 AM

Camper for me too. Great quality, comfortable, durable. Cost a bit (my last pair was ยฃ75) but worth it IMO.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 02:55 PM

My last two pairs have been K-Swiss. I'm currently wearing the old pair since they're treaded like boots and I have to tromp through ice and snow to get to classes now. But I love how light these are:

Dakarยฒ
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 03:01 PM

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarยฒ View Post
*snip*
That's disturbing on so many levels....

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 03:09 PM

For work (buisness casual), I've been wearing this pair of Rockports all winter:

Very comfortable and VERY dry. I find Rockports to be pretty comfortable and pretty longlasting. Best of all I can usually find a Rockport outlet here in the East, where a $100 pair usually goes for about $70.

Dakarยฒ
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
That's disturbing on so many levels....
You should have seen the TV adverts.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
For work (buisness casual), I've been wearing this pair of Rockports all winter:

another for the Rockports. Very comfortable.

Also a pair of Boston Black Oxfords for Meetings/Weddings/Funerals, and a pair of Merrells for mucking in the deep woods.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Spliff
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 09:50 PM

Campers are so outrageously expensive. $220 Cdn for a flimsy pair of shoes? Too rich for me.

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2007, 11:11 PM

prada sport makes shoes that are both stylish and profession, and have athletic support (more padding) your foot. check them out, steep prices at around $500 though.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 11:20 PM

Dr. Scholls (yup, they actually make shoes). These help me get around comfortably despite collapsed arches.

I be gellin'.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2007, 03:34 AM

prada sport? 500 a pair?!? get real. it's one thing to wear them because you have so much disposable income, it's another to suggest them to homeboy.
ice

iMacfan
Senior User
Feb 28, 2007, 05:49 AM

I'll give a shout out to Ecco - Smart, simple black leather laceups that are tough and comfortable enough to last a year of walking mile after mile around London.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
I find Rockports to be pretty comfortable and pretty longlasting. Best of all I can usually find a Rockport outlet here in the East, where a $100 pair usually goes for about $70.
I'm actually replacing a pair of Rockports that I found initially comfortable, but pretty quickly not so.

Originally Posted by iMacfan View Post
I'll give a shout out to Ecco - Smart, simple black leather laceups that are tough and comfortable enough to last a year of walking mile after mile around London.
David
I tried on several styles of Ecco, but found that they were too wide for my feet.

I ended up buying a pair of Johnston & Murphy shoes. I've had some in the past and loved them. I don't know that they have tremendous support, but they're as soft on the inside as I've ever felt.

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2007, 06:54 PM

As a bartender working 12+ hour shifts on a tile floor, I find Doc Martin's to be a great shoe. For me it's all about durability. Most shoes I have owned, cannot stand up to the abrasive floor for very long....3-5 weeks at most. (beer is not a good leather conditioner BTW) Then you have to figure in slip resistance. . I just bought a pair of doc's industrials today for $60. They are shoes though. The boots I have found differ in quality with sizes. Some stretch unbelievably, some not at all. It is the only shoe I can buy that holds up for any length of time behind my busy bar....
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2007, 06:56 PM

and the girlz like 'em...they look good beside a bed! wink wink! (hint...girls look at your shoes!!! I just recently learned this)

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 07:23 PM

Girls look at everything. Things you'd never think in a million years they'd look at. Whatever it is, they look at it.

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2007, 08:33 PM

amem brotha!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ratspittle View Post
and the girlz like 'em...they look good beside a bed! wink wink! (hint...girls look at your shoes!!! I just recently learned this)
Once again proving how superficial most people (which includes the subcatogory of women) are.

Shoes should be comfortable and practical. Nothing pains me more than seeing most young Japanese women walk about in 6 inch high boots. Though it is sometimes funny to watch stumble around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules