Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Laptop tray/cooler/thing recommendation?

Laptop tray/cooler/thing recommendation?
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 07:16 PM

Maybe I just can't think of the right word, but I did search the forum.

I'm looking for something to keep my PB from burning my lap. What are you using or what do you recommend? Got one with padding or vents? A mouse space?

If there is another thread, fell free to lead me to it because the name of such a product simply is not coming to me right now.

Thanks. (and my legs thank you)

lpranal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2007, 10:57 PM

Elite Bastards - Thermaltake iXoft notebook cooler review

Was looking for the same thing a while back, this is what seemed to have the best reviews (and to me makes the most sense).

Haven't picked one up yet but it seems to beat out even the usb powered-fan ones

lisantica
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2007, 11:24 PM

I use the iLap

iLap Laptop Stand - intro

It's kind of big, but it certainly keeps my lap cool. I use it on my desk too.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 1, 2007, 10:26 AM

For protecting my lap from heat from my MBP, I use the Incase sleeve I use to protect the laptop in my pack. But remember that on your lap is about THE LEAST ergonomic place for a laptop computer. It causes you to position your hands and arms as well as your head an neck VERY poorly, and will be very uncomfortable after a fairly brief time. It's always better to put your computer on a table surface if at all possible-and for that (for extended use, anyway) I use a Targus X-Stand. The X-Stand is lightweight, very easy to use, inexpensive, and uses no power. It positions the computer with the keyboard at a good angle ergonomically, and raises it so that air can circulate around it to keep it cool.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 10:42 AM

i use the ibreeze; inexpensive (they're discontinued).
it's a clear plastic stand with 2 fans, powered by a usb port (and there's a port on the back to replace the one it uses).

works great with my powerbook, and i've got 2 other friends using one as well...

edit:oops! early here, didn''t realize you want a stand for your LAP...not this, then (but great for a desk..)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 11:15 AM

Thanks, you guys have got me going in the right direction now. So many names for one kind of product!

ghporter. I realize the ergonomics are bad for me. I am at my iMac most of the time for extended work. But, sometimes I just want to "chill" in my recliner while watching tv and if I'm using it for more than ten minutes... aarrgghhh.

Does anyone have this? Maybe too cumbersome?

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 12:58 PM

here's the simplest. Don't know anyone who has one, but the benefit is obvious:
Ez Lap For Notebooks, MEGAWORKS, Ziotek at Cyberguys.com

I have a usb Targus cooler, and the heat dissipation is modest, nothing to write online about. The hassle of the thing exceeds the gains, imo, so it sits in the closet. All usb coolers that I've seen draw air away from the laptop, which doesn't provide as much cooling as blowing air at the laptop would, hence only minimal cooling. If there are usb coolers out there that take air from the side or back and blow it at the laptop, I'd be interested in trying one out.

Best solution: a small, very quiet desk fan that sits on the end-table next to my recliner. It cools both my laptop and, obviously, me. The fan sound is less objectionable than the hair-dryer speed from the laptop fans.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 02:33 PM

Simple. But I;m a sucker for looks. Maybe I should get over that.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 1, 2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
here's the simplest. Don't know anyone who has one, but the benefit is obvious:
Ez Lap For Notebooks, MEGAWORKS, Ziotek at Cyberguys.com

I have a usb Targus cooler, and the heat dissipation is modest, nothing to write online about. The hassle of the thing exceeds the gains, imo, so it sits in the closet. All usb coolers that I've seen draw air away from the laptop, which doesn't provide as much cooling as blowing air at the laptop would, hence only minimal cooling. If there are usb coolers out there that take air from the side or back and blow it at the laptop, I'd be interested in trying one out.

Best solution: a small, very quiet desk fan that sits on the end-table next to my recliner. It cools both my laptop and, obviously, me. The fan sound is less objectionable than the hair-dryer speed from the laptop fans.
Actually, anything that makes air move around the laptop should be effective in lowering its temperature. Blowing air on it or pulling air away from it both move air around the case, so they both help lower temperatures. The temperature of the air coming into contact with the case is more important than whether it's actively being pushed onto or pulled off of the case. And in spite of the way it might feel, air blowing onto something is not any cooler than ambient air.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 09:45 PM

Targus X-stand. Simple to the max. Portable. Cheap. Looks good.

Targus�|�AWE09US�–�Targus Ergonomic X-Stand for Notebooks

vicious7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 12:17 AM

I've been using Griffin's Elevator stand. I've noticed 7-10C drop in temps plus, the screen is now eye level so my back isn't hurtin' anymore.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 12:30 AM

Remember, I am using this as a LAP top!

Forum Links
Forum Rules