Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > move raid0 drives into different bays?

move raid0 drives into different bays?
paulmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2007, 09:56 PM

Currently I have a boot raid0 pair set up in bays 2+3 of my MP2.66. Can I move that pair to bays 1+2? Does the order of the pair need to be maintained, i.e. the order of the bays and drives or does the OS figure out which is the first part of the stripe, so I could install the pair on 1+4 or 4+2, etc.? Also are all the SATA channels, including the 2 behind the fans totally independent and at 3 Gb/s speed so it doesn't matter which channel any one physical drive is connected to?

In the end, what I want to know is if it matters where I put my fastest drives (Raptors) versus my slower ones.

paulmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2007, 10:17 AM

Well, I needed to install new drives so I just tried moving the striped pair and it worked fine (2+3 to 1+2). I did not try to swap the left right order, but I suspect that it doesn't matter, the OS might keep track of the HD's IDs and figure out which drive is in which place.

MM-o4
Senior User
Oct 10, 2007, 01:50 AM

good to know

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 06:52 AM

I am not sure why you didn't get any response the first time around, but the answer is, as you found out, that it makes no difference where on the bus the drives are nor what order they are in.

paulmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 10:00 AM

Sherman,
Thanks for echoing what I discovered: that the buses are indeed totally independent and it makes no difference where the physical drives go, even with striped RAIDs. A very convenient feature!
Paul

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 10:52 AM

Just make sure with a RAID 0 that you have a good backup scheme!

Forum Links
Forum Rules