Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Google's Schmidt: Android winning 'war' versus iOS

Google's Schmidt: Android winning 'war' versus iOS
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 12, 2012, 08:53 AM

Android is winning the platform war versus Apple's iOS, claims Google chairman Eric Schmidt. He made comments during a recent interview with Bloomberg. "This is a huge platform change; this is of the scale of 20 years ago -- Microsoft versus Apple," Schmidt argues. "We're winning that war pretty clearly now."

Although iOS and Android devices regularly trade marketshare according to some metrics, Android has gained significant ground in sales during the past few years and is dominant in many markets. Unlike iOS, Android is designed to be distributed among third parties, which has resulted in virtually every major phone maker building at least one device using it. The OS is also available in tablet form, but very few Android tablets have seen any success. Apple is typically the best-performing individual phone maker, especially in the United States. It also only releases one new phone per year, whereas its rivals usually put out several.

macmediausa
Dec 12, 2012, 08:59 AM

So the REAL google comes out. Apple was good enough to give Schmidt a seat on it's board. Turns out the real motive was to see what the internal workings at Apple was so they could fine-tune their secret attack. Turns out Jobs was right in going Thermonuclear against their supposed friend.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2012, 09:03 AM

Britney Spears sells a lot of records but that doesn't mean that she can sing.

I recently came over to the iPhone 5 from the Android world - had the first commercially available Android phone (G1) and more recently the piece of crap G2X. Android is fine for what it is, but it lacks the elegance of iOS. The carriers and manufacturers have wrecked it by putting moronic skins on the devices and loading them down with crapware that you can't get rid of.

eldarkus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2012, 09:13 AM

And how much money are you making from those sales exactly? Wanna tell me again who the real winner is?

Eldernorm
Dec 12, 2012, 09:16 AM

"Android has gained significant ground during the past few years and is dominant in many markets."

You can tell that the speaker has no idea of the real world. Yep, phones running Android are selling more phones than Apple. And losing tons of money doing it. Android/Google is also not making the profits they would like as many of those phones are sold in China and do not use Android features that go back to Google for ads.

Apple is still making 70+% of the world PROFITS involved with smart phones. PERIOD...

Market share is for selling oranges. Profits are for dominating in the real world.

Just a thought.
en
Reality, what a concept! :-)

ravemac.com
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2012, 09:41 AM

Wow, for a minute I thought I was reading comments From Steve Ballmer...

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2012, 09:43 AM

Surely, somewhere Schmidt broke a few laws with what he did? How can you sit on the board of a company, have access to confidential, market sensitive information and then wheel it home to your other company in a shopping trolley without breaking some sort of corporate governance laws?

Peter Bonte
Dec 12, 2012, 09:44 AM

Android is for feature phones and for about everything but the kitchen sink, there are USB android computers on a stick. Apple only sells the real stuff, Android is a big mess.

Samsung has to give them away to get some traction. Galaxy Galaxy Tab 2 ->

free with a camera
http://www.samsung.com/uk/smartnxoffer/

free with a laptop
http://www.samsung.com/uk/series9offer/

free with a tablet and trade-in
http://www.redmondpie.com/want-a-free-galaxy-tab-2-7.0-upgrade-to-a-galaxy-s-iii-or-note-in-the-uk/

free with a TV
http://www.samsung.com/be/promotion/smart-tv-tab-promotie/

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2012, 10:23 AM

So, Schmidt is equating Google with Microsoft? That doesn't seem wise...

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Eldernorm View Post
phones running Android are selling more phones than Apple. And losing tons of money doing it. Android/Google is also not making the profits they would like as many of those phones are sold in China and do not use Android features that go back to Google for ads.
Apple is still making 70+% of the world PROFITS involved with smart phones. PERIOD...
It all depends on your definition of "winning". If you want to count profit as a result of hardware sales then iOS is "winning". Google never wanted to enter the hardware business, that's not Google's strategy. If you are generating revenue from web services - search results, ad supported apps, that depend on sheer number of hits and requests, then based on market share and revenue as a result, Google may be "winning". Don't forget, every time an iDevice user searches on Google, Google gets paid. That's a lot of Android, Symbian, WP, WP7, Blackberry, and iOS bucks rolling in.

lockhartt
Dec 12, 2012, 01:23 PM

Schmidt looks more and more like Ballmer every day...

pairof9s
Senior User
Dec 12, 2012, 01:36 PM

Actually I'm glad Android is now "leading"...so from now on Apple can copy everything Google does and not pay or worry about a single patent infringement. Let the boys of Goog carry the load of innovation and design that they so proudly claim they initiated. And then let's see how long the true Google stays committed to "open source" with Apple stealing every idea they come out with.

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 12, 2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Strat View Post
Britney Spears sells a lot of records but that doesn't mean that she can sing.
I recently came over to the iPhone 5 from the Android world - had the first commercially available Android phone (G1) and more recently the piece of crap G2X. Android is fine for what it is, but it lacks the elegance of iOS. The carriers and manufacturers have wrecked it by putting moronic skins on the devices and loading them down with crapware that you can't get rid of.
Now by can't, you mean you haven't put forth the effort to figure out how. Well, go on, start lookin'!

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 12, 2012, 03:02 PM

The numbers speak for themselves. No matter how elegant crApple tries to be, choices are out there and they have caught up. The playing field is level I'd say.... and who benefits??... the consumer, but then again, crApple still prefers to cripple their own customers with forced technologies and no alternatives. Well, I am glad I am ahead of the curve in their little game, and I know I am not the only one.... Again, the numbers speak for themselves.

revco
Dec 12, 2012, 05:14 PM

War!? Oh please!

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post
And then let's see how long the true Google stays committed to "open source" with Apple stealing every idea they come out with.
The funny thing is, Google wouldn't (have) sue(d). At least not before Apple began all these courtroom shenanigans. There is a different culture over at the Chocolate Factory - the culture of let's build the best things we can build using the concepts and inspirations of others. And let's share and give back to the developer community by open sourcing our creation. Perhaps a bright group of individuals can come up with something better or spawn another project or concept by building upon the ideas we've made and the path we've cleared. Not sue people for rounded corners and rubber-banding screens. Time to compete on the technological front, not the courtroom.

In 1959, the engineers at Volvo invented the 3-point seatbelt - an invention that revolutionized automotive safety by saving lives. Volvo had patented that concept but in the interest of safety, Volvo made that available to any automaker for free.

What would Apple have done in their place to protect their precious "Mine. All mine" way of doing business?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2012, 09:14 PM

Apple didn't start the lawsuit feat.

smacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2012, 09:41 PM

Yeah, they're winning alright. All those other platforms are winning for over 30 years now. But you know who continuous to make a shitload of money?

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Oh but they're trying to finish it aren't they? And take out any other threat to "their" industry while they are at it. They sure aren't holding back! All the press covering these ridiculous lawsuits are leaving a bad taste in peoples' mouths. It is affecting Apple's shiny image and people are starting to see how rotten that core really is.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by wrenchy View Post
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Oh but they're trying to finish it aren't they? And take out any other threat to "their" industry while they are at it. They sure aren't holding back! All the press covering these ridiculous lawsuits are leaving a bad taste in peoples' mouths. It is affecting Apple's shiny image and people are starting to see how rotten that core really is.
I'm sure they'd love to end it (the FEST, btw - ****in' autocorrect). But currently, there are about three times as many lawsuits levied AGAINST them then BY them, IIRC.

Seems people just won't leave them alone.

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 13, 2012, 10:39 AM

I'd say everyone is riding the wave.... suing is definitely in this age.

Forum Links
Forum Rules