Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Facebook planning to sell 15-second video ads, sources say

Facebook planning to sell 15-second video ads, sources say
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 30, 2013, 05:12 PM

Facebook is planning to start selling 15-second video ads to marketers, sources tell Bloomberg. The clips would be inserted directly into a person's news feed, and at least initially sold on a full-day day basis, with targeting based solely on a person's age and gender. A video would show no more than three times per person, per day, and cost marketers between $1 million and $2.5 million each day.

CEO Mark Zuckerberg has reportedly delayed the start date for video ads twice, wanting to make sure they won't ruin the site's experience, the sources say. The executive is also reportedly insisting on HD video, and easy playback controls.

Facebook's main concern since it became popular has been monetization. While it's used by tens of millions of people, the service has struggled to find a way to turn a profit on ads and marketing without making the website and mobile apps annoying or hard to use. Most current Facebook ads consist of a mix of text, images, and URLs. Videos have been relegated to companies' Facebook pages, which requires that a person choose to follow the company in the first place.

bjojade
Jul 30, 2013, 05:46 PM

The minute audio and video streams start playing without warning will signify the end of FaceBook usage for many people. If there's an option to click to play, that's one thing. Anything else is too much.

Sebastien
Jul 30, 2013, 06:32 PM

"wanting to make sure they won't ruin the site's experience"

uh, too late, "Mark". It's already ruined. This won't make it any better.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2013, 07:55 PM

LIKE these comments.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

AlohaMacintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2013, 09:03 PM

I truly don't understand any of this. I have never and would never purchase ANYTHING based on some frikkin pop-up banner or in your face ad from anywhere on the Internet, especially Facebook. The advertisers are delusional...let me say it again..advertising has ZERO EFFECT ON ME.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2013, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by AlohaMacintosh View Post
I truly don't understand any of this. I have never and would never purchase ANYTHING based on some frikkin pop-up banner or in your face ad from anywhere on the Internet, especially Facebook. The advertisers are delusional...let me say it again..advertising has ZERO EFFECT ON ME.
Your subconscious is a lot less smart than you think you are.

Unless you're completely self-subsistent and live in total isolation, advertising works, even on you.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2013, 12:53 AM

smacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2013, 01:44 AM

AdBlock. I always meant to thank you for that, Internet. Well, thanks! Too bad you don't exist (yet?) on mobile platforms. Well, don't know about andorid but on iOS, facebook is absolutely unusable and annoying with you. Please port ASAP!

smacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2013, 01:46 AM

Supposed to say "without you".

nouser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2013, 08:11 AM

If I can't block this I will leave FB. Nothing is more annoying to me is that type of advertising. An "AdBlock" or a "Click to Play" extension might be a solution if that can be accomplished but I'm already irritated with all the privacy and security settings and changes needed for FB. This may well be the "straw that broke the camel's back" as I'm beginning to conclude FB is bordering on not being useful any longer.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2013, 08:16 AM

As long as they remain slightly more useful than annoying, they figure they've got a market.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2013, 08:25 AM

This is going to be a big fail, just looking at the sync between mobile to desktop!
You Like something or comment and sometimes it syncs, most often not though.

So you'll see an ad on your Desktop, then even if you've dismissed it, you'll see it
again on your mobile... even a day later?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2013, 08:40 AM

The ads in the mobile feed are completely different from the ads in the desktop feed.

They're dynamically added every time you look at your feed; they're not fixed entries in your history.

Sebastien
Jul 31, 2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by nouser View Post
I'm beginning to conclude FB is bordering on not being useful any longer.
Welcome to the 1% of Internet users that have realised this eons ago - we welcome you with open arms!

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2013, 01:32 PM

I must be that 1%. I did not see that coming. Can you imagine placing a 15 second video ad in your Gmail account?

Forum Links
Forum Rules