Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Google Glass returns to public sale after 'overwhelming' response

Google Glass returns to public sale after 'overwhelming' response
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 13, 2014, 07:32 PM

Google has reopened sales of Google Glass to the public without an invitation, following an "overwhelming" response to a single day sale in April. The recently-announced sale isn't a full blown consumer launch of the product, but will give those wishing to join the Explorer Program time to do so before the device opens to a "wider consumer launch" later this year.

Still considered under open beta Explorer Program, Google Glass will be open to sales in the United States indefinitely, as long as Google's inventory holds out. In a posting on Google+ the company states that during the previous one-day sale, it "almost ran out of inventory and had to close things down early."

Since the previous sale, Google has been able to build up inventory of the devices. At the time of this article, all five color choices are available to go along with complementary frame and shades options for the Explorer Program price of $1,500. Checkout indicates that it will be five to seven days until Glass ships to customers.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 14, 2014 at 07:04 PM. )

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 14, 2014, 01:46 AM

Overwhelming... ran out of inventory... so what is that, 5 or 10? Would more than a half-dozen people be the type that would actually want something like this? If so, things are more scary in society than I thought.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

shawnde
Forum Regular
May 14, 2014, 02:37 AM

It's all pure BS ... they never ran out of anything ... I think they only had 25 or 30 of them to begin with (basically manufacturing samples), and I think this time around they probably have the same number. It's a useless device .... not even the Google employees want to wear one .... it's the stupidest idea ever.

smacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2014, 03:26 AM

Both of you beat me to it. Additionally, I saw a segment on a german news show yesterday. Some journalist tested it and even she got only negativ feedback from people on the street, in bars, in malls, well basically anywhere. And appearently, some guy almost got beat up over it. So its already hated in germany as well, despite not being available on a larger scale. This one will never pan out for google, and I'm glad.

growlf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2014, 08:46 AM

The "overwhelmed public" could have signed up for the Explorer program and gotten an invitation in ~24 hours. I did earlier this year. Hadn't been paying attention and assumed the price would have fallen, so when I got the invitation, I ignored it.

After a week or two, I received:

Just a quick reminder that you can still buy Glass, but spots in the Explorer Program are limited, so join us soon.

Hmmm...

growlf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2014, 08:49 AM

The "overwhelmed public" could have signed up for the Explorer program and gotten an invitation in ~24 hours. I did earlier this year. Hadn't been paying attention and assumed the price would have fallen, so when I got the invitation, I ignored it.

After a week or two, I received:

Just a quick reminder that you can still buy Glass, but spots in the Explorer Program are limited, so join us soon.

Hmmm...

sammaffei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2014, 09:08 AM

$1500 - PS4, Xbox One (Kinectless) and iPad Air 32GB or Google Glass.

Hmm... which to chose? Which to choose?

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2014, 09:18 AM

This one is got to be Google Glass Beta #3 (a more enhanced data collection from your brain plus better indoor mapping).

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 15, 2014, 01:21 AM

@ smacker - lol, yea, I'm trying to figure out if it is how they look, or that someone would be so daft as to wear them, that triggers the 'beat-down Glass-hole gene' in most of us. I wonder if the 'born that way' defense will work?
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules