Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Zuckerberg confirms Facebook 'Like' button alternative in development

Zuckerberg confirms Facebook 'Like' button alternative in development
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 16, 2015, 03:03 PM

Facebook is working on a feature for the social network that has been called the equivalent of the mythical "dislike" button, co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg has confirmed. Speaking at a townhall session yesterday, Zuckerberg not only revealed development for an alternative to the site's famous 'Like' button is under way, but also that the company is preparing to trial the new button on some of its users in the near future.

"People have asked about the 'dislike' button for many years, and probably hundreds of people have asked about this," CNBC reports Zuckerberg as stating to the crowd. "Today is a special day because today is the day that I actually get to say we are working on it, and are very close to shipping a test of it."

While the button would in theory be a natural opposite to 'liking' something on the service, Zuckerberg warns that the company is being careful with its implementation. "We don't want to turn Facebook into a forum where people are voting up or down on people's posts. That doesn't seem like the kind of community that we want to create." Zuckerberg suggests a user may not want to share an important moment on Facebook only for it to be 'downvoted' away by other users, an event that takes place regularly on Reddit.

Zuckerberg instead wants the new button to "express empathy" with a friend's situation, and could be a real alternative to the 'Like' button in certain situations. "If you are sharing something that is sad, then it may not feel comfortable to "like" that post," suggests the CEO.

Elsewhere in the question-answering session, Zuckerberg discussed Facebook's work with the Oculus VR headset and platform, and the field of artificial intelligence. Zuckerberg played down suggestions of AI threatening humanity, claiming he was less fearful considering its application in many areas is likely to be beneficial, such as with self-driving cars.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 17, 2015 at 01:02 PM. )

smacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2015, 05:05 AM

"If you are sharing something that is sad, then it may not feel comfortable to "like" that post..."

Of course not. But I think they're overthinking this. The Like button and thumbs-up is so easy to use because one can universally express whether one likes some post. Logically, the opposite should be a dislike and thumbs down. Both options should've been there from the start. And as much as they want to avoid it beeing an up- or downvote feature, that's what it's going to be. One must have the option to either like or dislike something. They could also do love and hate buttons. Whatever they gonna call it, one button is to express positive feelings towards a post, the other is to express negative feelings. Theres just no way around it.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2015, 08:25 AM

I don't think "Dislike" in Facebook is a good idea. By not clicking on "Like" already speak for itself.

smacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2015, 08:35 AM

@coffetime
I don't think so. If you don't klick "Like", the poster only knows about the people who approve of his/her post. Especially with controversial stuff, you only get the positive feedback. That's just not balanced. Of course one could voice ones disapproval with a comment. But the whole point of the Like button is that you can express your feelings about a post very quickly. The button exists because people don't have time to write lengthy positive feedback. So they klick Like and move on. For a balanced conversation in this particular form, there should be a dislike. To very quickly express your disapproval. Without having to elaborate on it.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Sep 17, 2015, 12:45 PM

There is the completely reasonable option to not click like, but post a comment. There is waaaaaayyyyy to much binary black/white right/wrong pandering in our day already. I feel empowered by not clicking "like", but leaving a comment, or even just not clicking "like".
That's as binary as I need, and "dislike" just looks like a great way to bully.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2015, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this new "opposite of like" (for lack of a better term) button isn't called "Dislike," but rather something more neutral like "Regards" or "Sympathies" or "Concerned" or something.

Since it's been described as an "equivalent" to a dislike button, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to think that the solution Facebook comes up with won't be a button at all alongside the "Like" button, but rather, a more granular way to express a reaction to a post -- with perhaps a few options, like "Happy for you" and "Shocked" and "Sympathetic" or some such thing.

I suppose we'll all find out shortly.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2015, 10:05 PM

Agree with Diablo. Current event such as Chile earthquake is a bit odd to click "Like". Or even when someone is sick and having a surgery. Normally I don't click "Like". An alternative one would be nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules