Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > crazy canucks

crazy canucks
SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2001, 11:50 PM

just back in the states yesterday after a week and a half trip through western canada...
going through vancouver island and all the small towns around there, i noticed many differences.
one of the big ones was that drivers stop for pedestrians crossing streets. im not talking about small roads, but i mean major 4 lane roads where both directions stopped so we could cross in the middle of the street (not even a cross walk zone). damn, those canucks are too polite...im used to drivers speeding up so u have to run for it to avoid being run down...
another thing: some things are free over there...now thats something any american is wary of--my first day there, while in the airport, those little luggage carts, which cost a dollar or somthing in airports in the states, well theyre free over there. i kept lookin around expecting someone to accuse me of stealing...damn, the simplicity of it all makes us paranoid.
one more thing: while driving through towns, i noticed this street sign quite often (i dont remember exactly how it went, but was somthin like this),

"please avoid use of engine brakes in urban areas"

what the hell does that mean?!?!?!?!
your not supposed to use breaks? or just cant downshift break? or what???
i guess yer sposed to coast through neighborhoods, trying to drive around people...i dunno...

strange things happen up there...

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: SpYn ]
i wear maroon so your blood doesn't show

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2001, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by SpYn:
<STRONG>one of the big ones was that drivers stop for pedestrians crossing streets. im not talking about small roads, but i mean major 4 lane roads where both directions stopped so we could cross in the middle of the street (not even a cross walk zone).</STRONG>
They do that in Vermont. It freaked me out the first time it happened. Vermont is close to Canada...

<STRONG>free over there...now thats something any american is wary of--my first day there, while in the airport, those little luggage carts, which cost a dollar or somthing in airports in the states, well theyre free over there. i kept lookin around expecting someone to accuse me of stealing...damn, the simplicity of it all makes us paranoid.</STRONG>
In holland you have to pay to take a piss. The bathrooms are clean though.

<STRONG>one more thing: while driving through towns, i noticed this street sign quite often (i dont remember exactly how it went, but was somthin like this),

"please avoid excessive use of engine brakes in urban areas"

i guess yer sposed to coast through neighborhoods, trying to drive around people...i dunno...</STRONG>
I think they do mean down shifting. Here in Chicago the cops gave up on ticketing the motorcycle "gangs". They can't catch them and wont try. Even though they open full throttle all night long waking everyone up. Some of us have to work for a living at something other than selling crack.

SpYn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2001, 12:16 AM

yeah, actually i just remembered something--they charge for bags in grocery stores...the lady asked if we wanted a bag...and thinking that was weird, we said yes...and she charged us 6 cents canadian...apparently theyre trying to promote recycling, so bring yer own bags, hehe
so not everythings free...

oh yeah, some grocery stores charge to use shopping carts...i guess that varies city to city though...this was in central vancouver island area

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2001, 12:35 AM

Charging for the cart. Man. Dumb move. Why get between your paying customers and a full cart! If they were smart they would make the cart big and free

dtriska
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 12:35 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip through Canada. What other parts of Western Canada did you visit?

I believe the sign says "Use Of Engine Retarder Brakes Prohibited Within City Limits," or something similar. It's directed towards semis coming off the highway.

This is the first time I've heard of a store charging for bags, but the reason justifies it. The shopping carts usually have a deposit placed on them (the carts are locked together, and you put in a coin to take one). It varies from 25� to a dollar. This practice was started because people tended to take the cart home to carry groceries, and then leave the cart in an alley or street when they were done. So, the stores put this deposit system in place (if you bring the cart back, you get your coin back), and now I very rarely see a shopping cart outside a store parking lot.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
<STRONG>Charging for the cart. Man. Dumb move. Why get between your paying customers and a full cart! If they were smart they would make the cart big and free </STRONG>
These aren't the regular, one-level, metal wired carts. They are huge, multi-layered and metal with plastic corners, in addition to other nice touches.

SpYn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2001, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
<STRONG>I'm glad you enjoyed your trip through Canada. What other parts of Western Canada did you visit?

I believe the sign says "Use Of Engine Retarder Brakes Prohibited Within City Limits," or something similar. It's directed towards semis coming off the highway.

This is the first time I've heard of a store charging for bags, but the reason justifies it. The shopping carts usually have a deposit placed on them (the carts are locked together, and you put in a coin to take one). It varies from 25� to a dollar. This practice was started because people tended to take the cart home to carry groceries, and then leave the cart in an alley or street when they were done. So, the stores put this deposit system in place (if you bring the cart back, you get your coin back), and now I very rarely see a shopping cart outside a store parking lot.</STRONG>
no, actually the sign said what i stated earlier, or at least was closer in wording.

oh yeah, we got a kick out of the infamous "Toonies"
the store clerk thought we were quite strange for laughing at that word on a sign, hehe
and thought we were stupid for not knowing what it meant

well, we started in vancouver, then crossed to the island at victoria, which i thought was an incredible city right on the bay.
then we drove up the east coast to campbell river. on the river, we went snorkling up it looking at the salmon...geez, ive never been so cold...crazy people who do that everyday...man, what an experience...
then we drove further up the coast and took a 4 hour boat ride northwest to watch the orcas moving east...another freezing experience.
then we took the ferry at nanaimo back to the mainland and went up to whistler.
over all, a cold place, but very beautiful. im happy in my 100 degree humid sauna here in houston fer now...but wouldnt mind living up there...at least during the summer...

SpYn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2001, 12:49 AM

<STRONG>

These aren't the regular, one-level, metal wired carts. They are huge, multi-layered and metal with plastic corners, in addition to other nice touches.</STRONG>
i dunno...they seemed pretty ordinary to me...

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2001, 12:58 AM

no, actually the sign said what i stated earlier, or at least was closer in wording.
They aren't trying to make you stop downshifting your car, trust me. It's a large truck thing.

Where did you shop? Was it the Real Canadian Superstore? (big ass green building) That place is a POS and they do charge for bags. The ignorant little bitches at the till don't have to pack your bags either, so they can devote more time to rolling their eyes at your questions and whisper snide remarks under their breath at seniors counting out exact change. Did I mention that I hate this store?

San Acoustic
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 01:02 AM

Yeah, they're engine-retarder brakes on semi-trailers. An engine-retarder brake sound like a boiler factory . Not sure if they are also called jake brakes, which might be something else. Need a trucker to answer that.

The bags cost money in the super price-cutter stores, like Superstores in the West, Price Choppers and No Frills in the East. Run-of-the-mill supermarkets like Safeway don't charge extra.

The shopping carts don't cost money. It takes a coin -- a quarter or a dollar -- to free a parked cart from the one in front. When you put the cart back, you get the coin back. It forces customers to return the things rather than leaving them all over the parking lots. But all supermarkets don't do this. Safeway, however, has a near-monopoly, in the West, other than the no-extras Superstore-type markets, and all Safeways -- A U.S. company -- do it.

These peculiarities are all over the States, too.

SpYn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2001, 01:10 AM

ok, the thing i noticed that i liked the most was the lack of cops...in vancouver and victoria i saw a whopping 1 cop car...and it was parked...now thats in 3-4 days...in the states, i see a good 5-10 cop cars an hour...
now, as a professional speed-deamon on the road, i just wish i could bring our ol S2000 up here instead of the slow-assed american rental POS...oh well...
the lack of cops i guess is attributed to the canuck good behavior, w/ no need for enforcement, eh?
too nice...

dtriska
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 04:29 AM

<STRONG>ok, the thing i noticed that i liked the most was the lack of cops...in vancouver and victoria i saw a whopping 1 cop car...and it was parked...now thats in 3-4 days...in the states, i see a good 5-10 cop cars an hour...
now, as a professional speed-deamon on the road, i just wish i could bring our ol S2000 up here instead of the slow-assed american rental POS...oh well...
the lack of cops i guess is attributed to the canuck good behavior, w/ no need for enforcement, eh?
too nice...</STRONG>
Yeah, I love our police force here. The two times the police have talked to me at 3 am both went like this:

Police: Hello.
Me: Hi.
Police: What that you're listening to on the radio?
Me: Metallica.
Police: Cool. You're not consuming any alcohol, or drugs?
Me: Nope.
Police: Alright, thanks. Have a good night.
Me: 'Night.

As far as speeding goes, you don't see the police because we have photo radar and red light cameras. All you see is a flash in your rear view mirror as you pass the camera.

SpYn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2001, 04:46 PM

<STRONG>

Yeah, I love our police force here. The two times the police have talked to me at 3 am both went like this:

Police: Hello.
Me: Hi.
Police: What that you're listening to on the radio?
Me: Metallica.
Police: Cool. You're not consuming any alcohol, or drugs?
Me: Nope.
Police: Alright, thanks. Have a good night.
Me: 'Night.

As far as speeding goes, you don't see the police because we have photo radar and red light cameras. All you see is a flash in your rear view mirror as you pass the camera.</STRONG>

hahahaha, thats hilarious bout the cops...damn, i always get the a**hole cops who treat me like sh*t cause i look young...oh well

and about the speeding, umm, i think we were goin a bit fast a lot of the way...is 160 km/hr considered fast over ther? cause we were cruisin around there quite often...
how often are those photo radars around? i have a feeling we wont be welcome bak in canada after we get a few of those tickets, hahaha
oh well, i doubt they can get us to pay way over here in the south, hehe

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by San Acoustic:
<STRONG>Yeah, they're engine-retarder brakes on semi-trailers. An engine-retarder brake sound like a boiler factory . Not sure if they are also called jake brakes, which might be something else. Need a trucker to answer that.

</STRONG>
I think an Engine Retarder is the same as a Jake Brake.

It works by keeping the Exhaust Valve open on the engine when it's turned on. That's why it sounds so weird.

The engine can't compress the fuel, so it "retards" the engine from making power. The friction of a honking big engine is what helps slow the truck down.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2001, 05:39 PM

<STRONG>yeah, actually i just remembered something--they charge for bags in grocery stores...the lady asked if we wanted a bag...and thinking that was weird, we said yes...and she charged us 6 cents canadian...apparently theyre trying to promote recycling, so bring yer own bags, hehe</STRONG>
That might be a B.C. or store thing. They are not doing that here in Toronto.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

dtriska
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 05:40 PM

<STRONG>and about the speeding, umm, i think we were goin a bit fast a lot of the way...is 160 km/hr considered fast over ther? cause we were cruisin around there quite often...</STRONG>
Yeah, 160 km/h can be considered fast; it depends where you are (urban vs. rural, and also the province).

<STRONG>how often are those photo radars around? i have a feeling we wont be welcome bak in canada after we get a few of those tickets, hahaha
oh well, i doubt they can get us to pay way over here in the south, hehe</STRONG>
You don't have to worry about the photo radar and red light cameras. I think all the police will do is send you a letter stating that you were caught speeding, if they do that at all. You won't have to pay a dime.

In fact, I think you have to be a resident of the province you were caught speeding in before they'll consider charging you.

Out of curiosity, have you been to any other place in Canada?

SpYn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2001, 09:19 PM

<STRONG>

You don't have to worry about the photo radar and red light cameras. I think all the police will do is send you a letter stating that you were caught speeding, if they do that at all. You won't have to pay a dime.

In fact, I think you have to be a resident of the province you were caught speeding in before they'll consider charging you.

Out of curiosity, have you been to any other place in Canada?</STRONG>
hmm...interesting...
they have that photo thing in some places in the states, but they enforce it just as they do normal tickets...my dad got one in pheonix, and they sent a photo of us in the car and a ticket...i dont remember if he payed it, but i dont think he can rent cars in pheonix anymore

and to yer question, no, this was my first trip north of new york...stayed in B.C.

one more question i thought of...no big deal, but im still curious:
at traffic lights, sometimes the green light blinks, but sometimes it doesnt...does this mean anything, or am i just lookin too far into it?

and to the speed thing, yeah we were around 160 km/hr in a rural area mostly, between campbell river and nanaimo...but thats really not too fast...only like 100 mph...i regularly go 120+ mph

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2001, 09:38 PM

<STRONG>

hmm...interesting...
they have that photo thing in some places in the states, but they enforce it just as they do normal tickets...my dad got one in pheonix, and they sent a photo of us in the car and a ticket...i dont remember if he payed it, but i dont think he can rent cars in pheonix anymore

and to yer question, no, this was my first trip north of new york...stayed in B.C.

one more question i thought of...no big deal, but im still curious:
at traffic lights, sometimes the green light blinks, but sometimes it doesnt...does this mean anything, or am i just lookin too far into it?

and to the speed thing, yeah we were around 160 km/hr in a rural area mostly, between campbell river and nanaimo...but thats really not too fast...only like 100 mph...i regularly go 120+ mph </STRONG>
Yeah, I saw that blinking light thing when I was in Toronto. What gives?

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 10:52 PM

The crossing thing is only in Western Canada.

And in Calgary you will find the worst drivers in Canada and in the U.S.

Canada is the same than anywhere else Canadians are just more polite.

Before someone will mug you they say please and thank you, and you have to smile and pretend it is not a big deal. Come on it is a part of life, not a big deal.

SpYn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2001, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Monique:
<STRONG>Before someone will mug you they say please and thank you, and you have to smile and pretend it is not a big deal. Come on it is a part of life, not a big deal.</STRONG>
ill keep that in mind next time im being mugged...

(any aggies get the hidden meaning in that? hehe )

DBursey
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2001, 12:28 PM

The flashing green light is the same as a green arrow on some traffic lights. It indicates an advanced left turn. Hence, you can make that left turn into the intersection while the green is flashing.

As for some of your other observations from your trip to British Columbia; keep in mind that many of the things you noticed vary from province to province, just as they do from state to state in the U.S.

You Americans should remember that in visiting Canada each of your vacation dollars are magically transformed into $1.53 worth of purchasing power. Now there's a bang for your buck!

San Acoustic
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2001, 12:44 PM

Gotta watch them blinking greens in B.C. I tried turning left on one and got a finger from a pedestrian. I think they're walk signs in B.C. I thought all of North America is supposed to conform with traffic signs and signals. If it doesn't, it should.

SpYn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2001, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
<STRONG>You Americans should remember that in visiting Canada each of your vacation dollars are magically transformed into $1.53 worth of purchasing power. Now there's a bang for your buck!</STRONG>
yeah, except for some areas, which are tourist havens, like victoria, where 1 dollar is more like 20 cents canadian...damn, we wasted so much money over ther.........
oh well, thats part of the deal, i guess, eh?

Octo
Aug 9, 2001, 10:02 AM

<STRONG>
one more thing: while driving through towns, i noticed this street sign quite often (i dont remember exactly how it went, but was somthin like this),

"please avoid use of engine brakes in urban areas"

i guess yer sposed to coast through neighborhoods, trying to drive around people...i dunno...

strange things happen up there...

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: SpYn ]</STRONG>
These signs as others have pointed out are targeted toward 'big rigs', with the number of large hills in BC, most trucks would find that they wouldn't have any brakes left if they used their regular braking system. Excessive use of the brakes on a large truck will cause the brakes to over heat, when the metal drums heat up, they will expand, sometimes to the point that there are no brakes left. When the system cools the brakes will return. Therefore truckers have to use a combination of a lower gear and the exhaust brake to control the vehicles speed on big hills. Truckers get used to using it and then out of habit use it in built up area causing excessive noise.

As far as people stopping to let you cross, next time you come to Canada, come to Montreal. I can guarantee that nobody will stop for you or anybody else silly enough to step out into traffic.

PatriCanuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2001, 04:40 PM

in BC, the flashing green lights (without arrows) are "pedestrian controlled crossings" this is very efficient. instead of having a traffic light for pedestrian crossing at almost *every* intersection, it's only activated when a pedestrian presses the button, then waits to cross. it's better than taking your life in your hands from speeding Americans who don't realize 160 km/h is way over the speed limit. yes, that was a comment on your "I'm American, and don't understand Metric, so please forgive me while I speed" mantra.

very pleased you enjoyed Vancouver and Vancouver island. yes, the bigbox discounters charge for bags, again... it's to encourage recycling - the whole movement of which started in Seattle, WA, and we picked up the cause for *this* province too. recycling is a good thing. do it. encourage it. and ...

come back and visit and spend yer hard-earned Yank cash up here &lt;smile&gt;. sincerely, glad you had a good time. totally different experience, huh? that's the exciting thing about travel.
Patrick
no 3-wish limit

SpYn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2001, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by PatriCanuck:
<STRONG>in BC, the flashing green lights (without arrows) are "pedestrian controlled crossings" this is very efficient. instead of having a traffic light for pedestrian crossing at almost *every* intersection, it's only activated when a pedestrian presses the button, then waits to cross. it's better than taking your life in your hands from speeding Americans who don't realize 160 km/h is way over the speed limit. yes, that was a comment on your "I'm American, and don't understand Metric, so please forgive me while I speed" mantra.

very pleased you enjoyed Vancouver and Vancouver island. yes, the bigbox discounters charge for bags, again... it's to encourage recycling - the whole movement of which started in Seattle, WA, and we picked up the cause for *this* province too. recycling is a good thing. do it. encourage it. and ...

come back and visit and spend yer hard-earned Yank cash up here &lt;smile&gt;. sincerely, glad you had a good time. totally different experience, huh? that's the exciting thing about travel.</STRONG>

yes, it was a "different" experience, but i must say that the environment is very american-friendly, at least compared to places like europe (at least the small towns, which shows u a truly new take on life)

but i do find the metric things amusing...why doesnt the rest of the world conform to our scales???

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2001, 06:52 PM

re: paying for restroom access and grocery bags is proof that the .NET strategy isn't as loopy as it first seems.

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2001, 08:29 PM

<STRONG>

yeah, except for some areas, which are tourist havens, like victoria, where 1 dollar is more like 20 cents canadian...damn, we wasted so much money over ther.........
oh well, thats part of the deal, i guess, eh?</STRONG>
Don't rely on specific stores' exchange rates or whatever. Change your money to Canadian before going to Canada.
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Forum Links
Forum Rules