Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What hardware does PIXAR use?

What hardware does PIXAR use?
milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2001, 10:46 PM

Will Jobs eventually convert PIXAR to OS X? What do they use now anyways? I'm curious as I see that pixar.com is run on a SUN webserver.
F = ma

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2001, 10:55 PM

They probably use SGIs.
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Joshua
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2001, 11:16 PM

I don't imagine Pixar will ever convert to OSX. Jobs is smart enough not to whore out either Pixar/Apple to help the other company.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

iCartman
Senior User
Aug 19, 2001, 11:44 PM

Don't be too sure about that.

Check out thsi job listing at Pixar:
http://www.pixar.com/recruiting/list...tsysadmin.html

It's for a Senior NT admin but it has this line:

"Familiarity with Windows2000 and/or Mac OS X is a big plus."
respect mah athoritah!

applenut1
Senior User
Aug 20, 2001, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
<STRONG>Will Jobs eventually convert PIXAR to OS X? What do they use now anyways? I'm curious as I see that pixar.com is run on a SUN webserver.</STRONG>
they use various systems, most of the modeling is done on SGI systems and a huge SGI renderfarm. other things are done on macs and other things are done on PCs.

it was in an article several months ago in which Pixar said they are switching to Linux for most of the modeling work.

nana2
Senior User
Aug 20, 2001, 02:04 AM

"Pixar's next generation Renderfarm will use 250 new Sun Fire 3800 Midframe servers, each with eight UltraSPARC III microprocessors, 16 gigabytes of system memory and 108 gigabytes of local disk space, giving Pixar 2,000 processors in production and nearly four terabytes of main memory. An additional cluster of Sun servers will function as a model server and will offer an additional 10 terabytes of storage. Plans call for all 250 servers to be operational by June 2001."
http://sun.systemnews.com/system-new...3667/3667.html

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2001, 02:48 AM

Last I heard they were using Sun for the farm and SGI for desktop systems. I doubt they would go OS X. For one I doubt much of the rendering software can be alti-veced. So your price/performance goes into the shitter then. For the other I bet your average Athlon give better price/performance than any G4. Also sun just came out with hot new CPUs that are cheap.

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2001, 08:46 PM

Well, I will tell you what I know... since I was working there almost 3 years ago. Like most CG houses, the bulk of their hardware is SGI and Sun. The art department, of course, uses Macs for painting and such.

The right tool for the job, is the philosophy. Even though they embrace macintosh, they use the proper computers for the tasks they need to accomplish.

When I was working in Steve's office (a 2 week gig only), he had a next box in his office...

So there you go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules