Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Any Jaguar performance tests out there?

Any Jaguar performance tests out there?
adamtki
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2002, 10:01 PM

I haven't seen any posts on this. Does anyone have numbers showing how much faster Jaguar is? It would be nice to see performance differences on systems that don't even support QE.

The snappy factor in OS X has always been disappointing. I use both PCs and Macs about the same amount and between OS 9, OS X, and all the MS OSes, OS X is the only one that makes the user ask "why is this so sluggish?"

For those Warcraft 3 players out there, you will notice that OS 9 performs worlds better than OS X. Even the snappy factor is very important, especially if you're competing against level 12 players.
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

[osX]RTouris
Aug 28, 2002, 10:13 PM

Re: Warcraft III & OSX. I'm with you on this one. I can't even touch WIII under OSX (even 10.2 which improves the situation over 10.1.5 by just a bit). It all feels dog slow G4/800 I guess we'll have to wait until 10.3 to see some real performance gains in gaming (or at least level the difference of OSX to OS9). But then again we may have to buy a new Mac to achieve that and that really sux, cause I just bought my mac and I refuse to waste another thousand or something just to be able to play WIII...Dammit Apple, why are games under OSX so much slower compared to OS9? "Top" doesn't show any services taking up considerable CPU time, which gives?

iamnid
Senior User
Aug 28, 2002, 10:14 PM

I've been wondering the same thing -- WHY IS IT TAKING YOU BENCHMARK GUYS SO LONG! Seriously, we had benchmarks of the new powermacs the day after they were announced -- I got my copy of jaguar in the mail a week ago and there haven't been any benchmarks yet.

And yes --- why the heck are games so much slower in OS X? Please! Is this because most games are carbon? That is, because they have the ability to run in OS 9, does that affect their performance in OS X? Will games specifically coded for OS X be able to run more efficiently? (Giants notwithstanding.)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2002, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by [osX]RTouris:
Re: Warcraft III & OSX. I'm with you on this one. I can't even touch WIII under OSX (even 10.2 which improves the situation over 10.1.5 by just a bit). It all feels dog slow G4/800 I guess we'll have to wait until 10.3 to see some real performance gains in gaming (or at least level the difference of OSX to OS9). But then again we may have to buy a new Mac to achieve that and that really sux, cause I just bought my mac and I refuse to waste another thousand or something just to be able to play WIII...Dammit Apple, why are games under OSX so much slower compared to OS9? "Top" doesn't show any services taking up considerable CPU time, which gives?
I hear that Gateway has a new killer machine out there, Profile 4, that has AMAZING graphic card/game FPS rates (so their "independent tester" claims)!

[osX]RTouris
Aug 28, 2002, 10:19 PM

I wouldn't expect to see real differences between same versions of apps running on 10.1.5 vs. 10.2. Maybe perhaps upto 5-10% max. The thing that 10.2 does better is handling multiple tasks and off-loading graphics to the GPU...Moving windows around, scrolling through Finder lists etc...

OreoCookie
Aug 29, 2002, 02:55 AM

The best german computer mag (for general users) has tested Jagwire. OpenGL stuff is 15 % faster.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

adamtki  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2002, 03:20 AM

Yeah, on the WCIII issue, I always play it in OS 9. I had two problems initially with this. One, the multibutton support slowed the cursor down about 10x for some strange reason. So I mapped my right click to the command-click button. And two, the computer would completely halt every so often every time it accessed the CD which it didn't need. I solved that by ejecting the CD after starting the game up. Perhaps we can all dream that in 10.3, gaming performance will come within 90% of OS 9 performance. Right now, it feels about 50% of OS 9's performance (from a purely subjective POV).

If someone could post some gaming numbers... that would be great as well. Unfortunately, to perform an accurrate test, you'd have to perform them after a clean install and optimization of every version you're testing on.

That optimization although, necessary, has always misled the average joe that the latest OS is that much faster. I think it's an extension of SJ's reality warp.
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules