Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NFL owners opt out of labor agreement

NFL owners opt out of labor agreement
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 20, 2008, 11:05 AM

So the NFL owners as expected opted out of the collective bargaining agreement that they just got themselves into 2 years ago. msnbc

To be honest I don't get it, they just hammered this out, it may result in a strike and it may mean no salary caps and no draft. The collective agreement didn't seem horrendous to me, both sides seemed to be making on the deal. The new deal will invariably cost the owners more.

To be honest, with the whole patriot cheating issue, I've had a bad taste in my mouth about football and this just continues that bad taste to me.

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 20, 2008, 11:21 AM

I'm surprised they did this, historically NFL contracts are the worst contracts for players, so I don't know what they could be bargaining toward. . Very few NFL contracts are guaranteed, which means that if an NFL player signs a multi-year contract but then gets badly injured and can no longer play, the team is not liable to pay for the rest of the contract past that year. (Their health care plan is good, though.)

Contrast this with baseball, where a player who gets released by the club for underperformance still gets paid. (Mo Vaughn is technically still on the Mets' payroll, even after retiring in 2003 after injuries, since his contract didn't end until 2005 or 2006, and then as part of the deal to bring him to the Mets, he had part of that guaranteed salary deferred until 2007 and 2008.)

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
May 20, 2008, 11:25 AM

agreed

but I think one point that's probably been sticking in a lot of people's craw is the guaranteed portions of rookie contracts. Some of them are absurdly high. Is that the players fault of course not.

This is going to cost the owners a lot, not just salary cap dollars, if a work stoppage does occur that's a ton of money both sides will lose and possibly eroding their fan base. Look how long it took baseball to bounce back from their devastating strike in the 90s

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2008, 11:49 AM

Isn't the NFL the healthiest sport, financially? Seems absurd.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2008, 05:37 PM

The top 10 picks or so get more money than they will ever deserve (most times) after that, rookies dont make enough $$$ to go to strike for. I dont get the point of opting out, from a fans perspective...

Forum Links
Forum Rules