Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > domain name question

domain name question
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 02:33 PM

The www.me.com domain got me thinking. I seem to recall that we can only register a name that has at least three characters. I just tried this out a few minutes ago and it validated that assumption.

So how did apple get to do this, I'm sure a butt load of $$$ certainly helped but I am curious to know if businesses, particularly big business have different rules when it comes to registering domain names then regular people.

Oops, I just realized I'm in the wrong forum - sorry. If the mods feel so disposed please move it to the correct forum or the lounge which is where I thought I was posting
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Jun 10, 2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: macosnerd is an idiot)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 07:28 PM

You can register a domain name with 2 letters, but they're probably all taken by now.

aa.com and ba.com are both airlines.

frates
Jun 10, 2008, 07:47 PM

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 07:51 PM

network solutions and godaddy didn't let me. I'm not really interested in registering a short domain as much wondered if there was a restriction

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 08:02 PM

I have a friend that has a 2 letter .com domain, but he has had it since the mid 90's.

ibook_steve
Jun 10, 2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
network solutions and godaddy didn't let me. I'm not really interested in registering a short domain as much wondered if there was a restriction
There is no restriction. It's just that none of them are available anymore.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules