Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Planning a home entertainment center, Sans cable.

Planning a home entertainment center, Sans cable.
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 12:35 AM

We will finally be getting an HDTV soon, and I want to avoid paying for cable at all costs. Here is my plan for our home entertainment center. Posting this here so you guys can tell me if there is a cheaper/better/cooler solution for anything here or if there's anything extraneous I'm planning on.

It will all revolve around a Mac Mini. I'll have it hooked up to the TV, with all my local media, photos, etc. there. I'll also upgrade my internet connection to be able to handle HD streaming of TV shows from online, like ABC.com or Hulu (assuming they do HD soon.)

The last thing I'm not sure I need is the EyeTV Hybrid for live local TV. On the one hand, it would allow recording to iTunes to watch later for shows like SNL that aren't on Hulu, but on the other hand I could save $150 by just using the digital tuner in the HDTV.

What do you think? Am I missing something? is there a better way for anything?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2008, 12:51 AM

Yes there is a better way. Get cable, or satellite.

Seriously though, you could just get OTA directly to the TV. However, even though I have an antenna on the roof of my house, I still got cable.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 12:53 AM

...which I am, as part of a bigger plan.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2008, 12:57 AM

I guess it also depends on what you watch.

I watch my local sci-fi channel and Discovery HD, neither of which exist for me online or OTA. Same goes for some other channels as well. And trust me, I know what OTA is like, as I had just that for years. In the end I finally caved. I just hated the lack of selection, and the potential hassle factor.

Good luck to you though.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2008, 03:26 AM

I too enjoy the $60 extra in my pocket by not getting cable/sat service.
Definitely get the eyeTV. You are very likely going to find yourself at one of those times when there's nothing worth watching on TV. But if you have a PVR, you could re-play the Oprah show and stay entertained for the night.
If you will save $$$ every month, consider saving up towards a Blu-ray player. If you kept watching PVR-recorded shows (hard to record in 720p) and Hulu, you could as well be watching them in a CRT SDTV.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2008, 05:28 AM

Why would you need the eyeTV hybrid? Do you still get analog TV over the air in the States?

If it's all digital broadcast, the standard eyeTV DTT stick will do fine (it's same receiver), and that's less than half the price.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 10:21 AM

Oh yeah, Blu-Ray is a definite as well. Forgot to add that.

And wasn't aware of that, Analogika, thanks.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2008, 10:54 AM

my setup is:
Mac Mini running Boxee. This allows me to use the bbc iPlayer and also stream transcoded HD stuff off my drobo
PS3 for Bluray
PVR which records live TV then copies them to my drobo (which can then be played via Boxee)
we don't have time to stop for gas

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 5, 2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Why would you need the eyeTV hybrid? Do you still get analog TV over the air in the States?

If it's all digital broadcast, the standard eyeTV DTT stick will do fine (it's same receiver), and that's less than half the price.
Analog broadcast ends February 2009 here, digital is already up and running. Most cable systems still have lots of analog channels, though.

That said, Elgato doesn't sell the digital-only USB tuners in USA. The Hybrid is their cheapest model here. (The HomeRun tuner is digital-only, but it's their most expensive, networked model.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules