Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How to Quit a Volunteer Job

How to Quit a Volunteer Job
production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 08:38 PM

The Situation:

I design a newsletter for a nonprofit organization I'm a member of. I've recently switched jobs... and I no longer feel a connection to the newsletter or the organization.

My question, is it OK for me to say "This is going to be my last newsletter"?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 22, 2005, 08:40 PM

Yes, it's ok, but you need to let them know ahead of time so they can find a replacement. And further, let them know that it's not them that's causing you to leave, but your situation. You don't have to say "I don't feel connected with you anymore," but saying "with my new job I don't have the time to do the kind of job this newsletter deserves" is probably not only more comfortable for them to hear, it'll be more comfortable for you to say.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 09:23 PM

Step 1: Walk into their office.

Step 2: Grab your jock and say "Suck it, bitches. I'm out!"

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 09:38 PM

You know, there is some good in Total submission.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

production_coordinator  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Yes, it's ok, but you need to let them know ahead of time so they can find a replacement. And further, let them know that it's not them that's causing you to leave, but your situation. You don't have to say "I don't feel connected with you anymore," but saying "with my new job I don't have the time to do the kind of job this newsletter deserves" is probably not only more comfortable for them to hear, it'll be more comfortable for you to say.
The newsletter is quarterly and I'm the first person to do it professionally (Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator). They aren't going to find a replacement for free (It's 16 pages and I spend about 30+ hours on it). They can always go back to using Word...

Yah, I will probably go the "my schedule... bla bla bla..." rout.

Do you think it's OK to say "I can complete this edition, but this will be my last."

Thanks for your input.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 22, 2005, 10:00 PM

Before you say anything, make PDF backups of your work if you don't have the original for your own portfolio.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
The newsletter is quarterly and I'm the first person to do it professionally (Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator). They aren't going to find a replacement for free (It's 16 pages and I spend about 30+ hours on it). They can always go back to using Word...

Yah, I will probably go the "my schedule... bla bla bla..." rout.

Do you think it's OK to say "I can complete this edition, but this will be my last."

Thanks for your input.
I think that this is an appropriate way to leave. Unless you have stated that you were going to help with a specified number of newsletters or a specified amount of time, you were donating your time and resources, and they should be happy with whatever you have give them. That doesn't mean they'll be happy to see you go. If you know of anyone else in your profession that might be interested, hooking them up with someone else in your field may make the transition easier, but even if you don't or can't, you shouldn't feel obligated or guilty if the reason for quitting is because of your time restraints or even if you no longer feel like donating your time.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

alligator
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 10:34 PM

I did the same thing once - but I timed my leave of being the newsletter editor with an anniversary of when I started. I just told them that I've done it for xxx amount of time, and that I wanted to focus my interests elsewhere with the group. Of course, I later quit the club, but at least I made a graceful exit as newsletter editor.

ChrisF
Senior User
Nov 22, 2005, 10:42 PM

I would say yes. I've managed teams of volunteers for the past 4 years and there's nothing worse than someone who stays on past their usefulness and who has to be asked to leave or fired, especially when they're not paid. I'm always happier to have someone just go ahead and tell me they can't continue. Keep in mind, though, the fact that it's a volunteer job isn't an excuse to just stop doing it without telling any management... particularly because your position is directly related to your career.

Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 11:08 PM

Kevin,

It's ALL my design. I'm sure they will be asking me for my files when it's all over... which I will gladly hand over. I have no intention of profiting off of their need.

cjrivera,

No, I haven't signed on for a specific period of time. If I did, I would naturally suck it up and finish the time period out. I'm just unhappy with the current direction of the organization, and feel I will only get worse over time.

alligator,
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I simply feel like I'm not getting anywhere with the organization... and ultimately will destroy my reputation.

ChrisF,
I'm starting to realize that I can no longer help the organization. And I'm not going to help them by giving a half hearted effort.

Thanks everyone!

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 22, 2005, 11:11 PM

Kevin,

It's ALL my design. I'm sure they will be asking me for my files when it's all over... which I will gladly hand over. I have no intention of profiting off of their need.
You can give them a copy. I am talking keeping a copy for yourself for self reference of things you have done.

I am not talking about making any money off it.

Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
You can give them a copy. I am talking keeping a copy for yourself for self reference of things you have done.

I am not talking about making any money off it.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were asking me to profit off of them. I have all the designs and I've already given them copies of the newsletters. So they could always take it to another designer. I just think they are going to be shocked with they are given a quote of $4,000+

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 22, 2005, 11:21 PM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2005, 12:49 AM

I have some advice on how you can break it off with them...

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2005, 01:22 AM

What kind of non profit is it? What was your previous connection.

Generally people who have no design talent are fine going back to Word and that sorta thing.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 23, 2005, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
I'm thinking he didn't give that info on purpose. But I could be wrong.

Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2005, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Salty

Generally people who have no design talent are fine going back to Word and that sorta thing.
It was a religious organization, and I just didn't have the heart to tell them that there was no God and that they were praying to an invisible man, who lives in the sky...

Ok, that was just a joke. It's a outdoors organization. I feel like a bit of a baby, but I'm tired of doing the design. The issue is that my schedule has changed... and I feel the organization is dying

Oh well... I sent the email... I'm sure they won't care. Back to Word. I bet the printer cries.

insha
Senior User
Nov 23, 2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
Step 1: Walk into their office.

Step 2: Grab your jock and say "Suck it, bitches. I'm out!"

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2005, 08:45 PM

Yes, that is the best part of a volunteer job.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Yes, that is the best part of a volunteer job.
Quitting is the best part of being a volunteer? Well I guess it is.. but you sure do say some bizarre crap.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Monique
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2005, 04:48 PM

Tell them simply that you want to quit if they ask you why tell them you cannot relate to this organization anymore and it is time you give your place to someone else.

Also, no notice necessary it is not a paying job. You do not like it anymore move on.

I am wondering here how can you get fired from a volunteer job, you can be asked to leave but fired.

Make copies of everything you have done and start a portfolio, if you do not sell the stuff you not infringing into the author rights. It is very important to keep copies of the type of work you are doing, you do not know when it is going to be useful to you in the future.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2005, 10:27 PM

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I have some advice on how you can break it off with them...
Haven't enough kitchens suffered?

Forum Links
Forum Rules