Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > cleaning screens

cleaning screens
svenreed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 01:45 PM

not sure where i should have posted this. and maybe a stupid question..but any advice on what to use to screen my imacs screen? and or something to protect it with when im not using it. i was thinking maybe covering it with that foam sleeve that came with the packaging now that it comes to mind.

thanks much. sorry for the novice ?.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 01:52 PM

covering it up with the foam padding is overkill dontcha think? i usually use a lint free micro-fiber towel for all my electronic screens. but recently a friend got me a stuffed frog (i have a collection of toy frogs) whos underside is made specifically for cleaning computer monitors. just dont use a paper towel.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

insha
Senior User
Feb 27, 2006, 02:07 PM

I use iKlear (found in all places Macs are sold) to clean the screens of my Powerbook and iMac. Works pretty good.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by insha
I use iKlear (found in all places Macs are sold) to clean the screens of my Powerbook and iMac. Works pretty good.
I got something similar, iClean (sold in Apple retail). Really good comes with it's own 'special' cloth and doesn't leave any smears or marks like other (lcd and photography) cleaners I have tried.

insha
Senior User
Feb 27, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
I got something similar, iClean (sold in Apple retail). Really good comes with it's own 'special' cloth and doesn't leave any smears or marks like other (lcd and photography) cleaners I have tried.
Not sure why I was thinking iKlear I meant iClean).

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 09:44 PM

one time i heard an apple store employee complaining about hos much iKlean sucked. Ive never used it though, and we all know the reputation of retail employees knowing about the products they sell.

macanon
Feb 28, 2006, 01:36 AM

I've used a light solution of alcohol in the past along with the microfiber cloth. Has worked well thus far.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2006, 10:58 PM

I bought some iKleans for my powerbook and they SUCK! They smear and don't clean SH*T!!

Use whatever doesn't scratch the screen surface itself.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2006, 12:15 AM

iKlear is tricky stuff. If you misapply it, it will appear to stain your screen-- looks really bad and makes you wish you never tried the stuff.

I use a microcloth to apply iklear, i spray a generous amount on the microcloth and then apply it to the screen. after letting it sit for a few seconds i wipe the excess with a cotton cloth. this leaves a very clean surface with no streak marks. iklear is like a polish it leaves a film on the screen.

re: alcohol I've heard that it can over time dry/yellow the plastic surface of LCDs so becareful when using it.

A cotton cloth with warm water also works well, as long as your lcd is not too dirty.

quiklee
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 04:17 AM

i heard windex doesn't hurt it . . . . but i wasn't sure so i haven't done it . . . is that right?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

bink
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 08:20 PM

I have used KlearScreen (by the same maker as the ones listed above) since my pbk. 540c and have loved it. Within the last 6 months, it has started to really make my FP iMac screen look bad. Do not know the reason. Used it just like I have always done. No ideas, unless they have changed the formula?? I have changed to just plain damp cloth. Screen looks much better now.

Rich

mactopsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2006, 10:22 AM

Windex works fine, perfect actually.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Celestine Collins, Realising Doodles | MacTopsuit | http://www.celestinecollins.com/[/FONT]

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2006, 12:38 PM

I use a microcloth dampened with a little bit of water.

This is cute... The microcloth manufacturer has a Q&A as to when to clean the microcloth. Then answer: When the cloth is dirtier than the object you're cleaning, it's time to wash it.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mactopsuit
Windex works fine, perfect actually.
I was told that Monitors have some sort of 'anti glare/reflection' coating, and that regular window cleaning products (such as Windex) will strip this off.
This was told to me by an agency pro.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2006, 01:29 PM

stick with water and a lint free or microfiber towel. the end.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules