Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari and DVD Ripping Questions

Safari and DVD Ripping Questions
kalani79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 08:58 PM

(cross-posted with 5-favorite application thread)

2-week old PC-Mac converter here, so I'm still compiling my list of favorites.

A couple questions:

1. Are there any programs that allow you to switch between tabs in Safari using keyboard shortcuts? I had an extension in Firefox that allowed me to do this and it was very convenient.

2. If I want to rip DVDs to my harddrive to watch later (while travelling), is it best to use a program like HandBrake to change the file format to MPEG-4 or something? Or, what is the best thing to do to put DVDs onto your harddrive for later viewing? Currently I just use Mac The Ripper and launch the Video_TS folder.

TIA

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by kalani79
(cross-posted with 5-favorite application thread)

2-week old PC-Mac converter here, so I'm still compiling my list of favorites.

A couple questions:

1. Are there any programs that allow you to switch between tabs in Safari using keyboard shortcuts? I had an extension in Firefox that allowed me to do this and it was very convenient.

2. If I want to rip DVDs to my harddrive to watch later (while travelling), is it best to use a program like HandBrake to change the file format to MPEG-4 or something? Or, what is the best thing to do to put DVDs onto your harddrive for later viewing? Currently I just use Mac The Ripper and launch the Video_TS folder.

TIA
1. To switch between tabs in Safari, just hit shift-apple-right arrow/left arrow, depending on what tab you want. Just make sure the cursor is not in a text field on the current page, as that shortcut will do nothing.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 09:56 PM

2. It depends on what your needs are. If you are just ripping a couple movies and what to retain the original quality, just use the Video_TS folders. If you want to rip your entire collection and take that around with you, you'll need to lug a 300 GB harddrive around with you to keep the movies at their original quality. Or you can encode the movies to MPEG4 using handbrake or something similar which will get the movie files down to 1-2 GB but with a loss in quality.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 06:21 AM

I use to encode them with HandBrake -mpeg4-, what I really like is that this way I avoid the letterbox thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules