Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > how to impot .xls into iweb

how to impot .xls into iweb
mule
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 10:36 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a Mac and have been having a love/hate relationship with it since day 1. On the bright side, it runs the sensitive hardware/software I bought if for wonderfully, but the other side is that common, everyday tasks that I thought would be intuitive are simply not. Perhaps I'm stupid. At any rate, to the brain thumper of the week...

I want to use iWeb, and I need to import an Excel spreadsheet that will load properly online. I've been screwing with this off/on all week and cannot figure out what format this thing (iweb) wants. Is this possible, and if so, how can I do it?

Thanks so much for any help.

Mule

mchladek
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 01:11 AM

Well, the main problem here is that an Excel spreadsheet is not designed to go on the web. It's like asking, "How do I import this web page into Excel?"

That being said, it's not impossible, but you need to be more clear about what you want to do. Do you simply want someone to be able to download the Excel file? In that case all you need to do in iWeb is select the image or text that you want the person to click in order to download the file, go to your Inspector palette, select the far right "Link" tab, choose "Link To A File," and select your Excel file.

If you want the Excel file to be displayed as a separate web page, you can do "Save As Web Page..." in Excel. (This will result in really bad html code because of the first thing I mentioned in this post.) You won't be able to import this html file into iWeb, though, because iWeb is too basic. However, you can upload this Excel-generated html file onto your server separately from iWeb and link to it within iWeb just like you'd create a link to any other site.

Finally, if you want the Excel spreadsheet to appear like an image in your web page, probably the easiest way would be to do a Print to PDF within Excel, open the resulting PDF in Preview, save as a JPG or GIF, and import that image file into iWeb.

I think those are your options.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2006, 04:13 PM

If you just want a small snippet of an Excel document then do a screenshot by pressing Command + Shift + 4, select the area you want, and use the resulting screenshot that shows up on your desktop in your webpage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules