Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 4 (Official Thread)

iPhone 4 (Official Thread) (Page 6)
Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Well, back in 2010, the 3G runs iOS 4 like crap. If you can believe it, I actually get skipping in music when trying to multitask to another app. (Yes, the 3G can multitask... when using apps like the iPod, etc. That's been true since launch.)

Personally, I'd forego iOS 4 on the 3G, at least until we get some performance and music playback updates in iOS 4.
Not gonna happen. It's fairly obvious Apple's support of the 3G is bare-bones.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 08:27 AM

Ok iPhone 4 upgraders, what happens to your old iPhone once you activate the new one? Disabled? Just no calls? Can it be jailbroken and used as an iPod touch?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Ok iPhone 4 upgraders, what happens to your old iPhone once you activate the new one? Disabled? Just no calls? Can it be jailbroken and used as an iPod touch?
You don't even need to jailbreak it to use it as an ipod touch. Just use it. No calls, you can still get wifi.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 09:17 AM

SO...My phone is at my local destination sort facility. It's like 5 miles from my house. It got there at 2:30am last night (7 hours ago). It doesn't currently say "on truck for delivery" and my estimated delivery date is still tomorrow.

I wonder if they'd give it to me if I went to pick it up?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 09:38 AM

Can anybody tell me if apps are being made for iP4 resolution? Will they run iPhone apps with the same grace as an iPad does?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Can anybody tell me if apps are being made for iP4 resolution? Will they run iPhone apps with the same grace as an iPad does?
Yes, they are. Yes, they will.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
SO...My phone is at my local destination sort facility. It's like 5 miles from my house. It got there at 2:30am last night (7 hours ago). It doesn't currently say "on truck for delivery" and my estimated delivery date is still tomorrow.

Five miles … no harm in trying, eh?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Not gonna happen. It's fairly obvious Apple's support of the 3G is bare-bones.
Bare bones doesn't mean music should skip while you're surfing the net. Personally, I think/hope this will be fixed.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 10:37 AM

I've done it before. In fact, as long as it's not currently on a truck they're pretty good about it. But it could be that it's already on a truck, it just hasn't left the facility yet. If that's the case they won't be able to do anything for you.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yes, they are. Yes, they will.
Are many apps going to be iP4 exclusive?
When an iP4 runs a regular resolution app, will the keyboard show double pixeled too?
Will Netflix for iOS4 run on the 3G? iPad?
Will the iP4 steamroll the iPad in terms if sales, preventing the iPad from having a decent amount of enthusiasm by developers, therefore stumping its store catalogue growth?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Five miles … no harm in trying, eh?
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I've done it before. In fact, as long as it's not currently on a truck they're pretty good about it. But it could be that it's already on a truck, it just hasn't left the facility yet. If that's the case they won't be able to do anything for you.
I could also exercise some friggin patience and not be a total spazz about it.....nah.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 10:43 AM

Are many apps going to be iP4 exclusive?
When an iP4 runs a regular resolution app, will the keyboard show double pixeled too?
Will Netflix for iOS4 run on the 3G? iPad?
Will the iP4 steamroll the iPad in terms if sales, preventing the iPad from having a decent amount of enthusiasm by developers, therefore stumping its store catalogue growth?
No.
I doubt it, but I don't have specific knowledge.
Dunno about the 3G, and it already runs on the iPad.
Seriously? No.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2010, 10:46 AM

Fonts will automatically be rendered at full resolution. The keyboard probably will, too.

I think both iPad and iPhone will sell like crazy. They're in completely different markets.

david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2010, 11:20 AM

I'm in the same boat, but I can wait until tomorrow. The only real downside is that I won't be able to activate the phone before the deluge tomorrow.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Fonts will automatically be rendered at full resolution. The keyboard probably will, too.

I think both iPad and iPhone will sell like crazy. They're in completely different markets.
1. That's great.
2. I hope that as many games are developed for the iPad as they are for the iPhone, or else I will have to sell the iPad in order to get an iPhone. Hopefully by that time, Google docs will work on mobile Safari.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2010, 12:26 PM

Have you checked the app store? A lot of the best stuff is already transferred (real racing took a week or so).

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2010, 01:00 PM

I regularly find that FedEx items show up when the online status doesn't reflect "On Truck For Delivery". Typically happens when your item is one of hundreds or thousands in a bulk shipment, as is the case now.

Be patient, it's coming today.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 01:10 PM

Yeah, sometimes they'll deliver it without changing the status. I've had items say "in transit" or even "departure scan", only to be delivered and then, after delivery, I'll see 2 or 3 entries that would've been helpful before delivery, e.g. "out for delivery" or whatnot.

Meanwhile, It's looking like the media is finally starting to notice the lack of white phones. Saw the local CBS affiliate run a story earlier, and they actually mentioned it.

It's all I've got to cling to, as there's no way I'm interested in the black one.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 01:35 PM

Oooh. I saw this note on the fedex site:

IMPORTANT!
Package deliveries are proceeding as normal; however tracking updates are temporarily being delayed. Please try back later.

It's probably coming today.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 02:09 PM

1. That's great.
2. I hope that as many games are developed for the iPad as they are for the iPhone, or else I will have to sell the iPad in order to get an iPhone. Hopefully by that time, Google docs will work on mobile Safari.
I don't understand - if you need a phone you get the iPhone. If you don't need a phone you either get an iPod Touch or an iPad. The iPhone and iPad aren't competitors in the market, since they are vastly different devices.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 23, 2010, 02:12 PM

IMPORTANT!
Package deliveries are proceeding as normal; however tracking updates are temporarily being delayed. Please try back later.
Translation: Our tracking servers are being slammed like a drunk sorority sister at spring break.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2010, 02:54 PM

man, this things ALIVE!
Love the new iPhone, what a great experience so far. 0 problems from 9:30 this morning when Mr FedEx dropped it off asking if that's what it was! He said he had many on his truck! HA!

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2010, 03:09 PM

**** radio shack.

That is all.

david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2010, 03:15 PM

Just got it. Activation took less than a minute. The screen is very nice!

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2010, 03:22 PM

So, is everyone going to use their new iPhone 4 "naked"? Or, do you plan on buying a case (when they come out)?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2010, 03:24 PM

Were the bumper cases available at the apple store?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
At one point, Apple wasn't accepting cash for the iPad in the US, you needed a credit card with a US address. Who knows what Apple might require? A Canadian credit card?

Even at the end of an iPhone's contract in the US, you can't get Apple to unlock the phone...whereas every other phone must be unlocked by law under those circumstances (upon request--most are just trashed...)
Actually, there is no U.S. law that says it has to be unlocked at the end of the contract, otherwise the iPhone would be included with that.

Maybe the official Apple stores won't sell you a phone if you buy from another country, but sometimes carriers will. I bought my factory unlocked iPhone 3GS in Greece from a Vodafone shop, using my American credit card to pay for it. They were happy to take my money and happy to give me the phone without any hassles whatsoever. Of course, I paid $918 for it (32 GB black phone), but it's worth it to be able to use a Greek pay as you go SIM card in Greece, a German one in Germany, and my AT&T SIM here at home.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 23, 2010, 03:35 PM

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 04:30 PM

Got mine and had it fully set up and synced within 20 minutes. Man I'm glad they decided to send the pre-orders out a day early. Didn't want to deal with AT&Ts busted ass servers when a million people try to activate in the same day.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 04:44 PM

I use a silicon case with my 3G, for the 4 I've ordered a bumper with it, and I'll try to get hold of front and back Invisible Shield or similar.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2010, 06:06 PM

Eyenigma
Jun 23, 2010, 07:07 PM

Have one reserved, but may not buy (yet) - can anyone comment on this and if it's true?

YouTube - iPhone 4 Reception Issue with Holding the Phone

I like to run my phone without a case, but this would seem it's not a good idea unless I want to use it as a paperweight.

david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I can confirm this. I guess those Apple bumpers are going to be my next purchase. This is not cool.

The price for adopting early...

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2010, 07:21 PM

I shouldn't be surprised but I'm amazed at the speed difference between my old 3G and the new one. The screen looks spectacular. Only issue now is resyncing my contacts as I now have doubles and some groups imported as one contact with all the email addresses/phone #s included.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 07:23 PM

Anyone know of a good list of apps that have been updated for iPhone 4? (Not just iOS 4 but also updated to take advantage of the new display and other goodies.)

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2010, 07:53 PM

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2010, 08:40 PM

Mine arrived today and it's great! Upgrading from a 3G to this one it's amazing in every way. Some are having reception and screen issues but so far so good here. Activation and syncing was very fast....just a few minutes for everything to complete.

I've seen the pictures of the bad screens and I do feel bad for those who ended up with them. It's noticeable so you'll be able to tell if your iPhone has the problem. The best way seems to use a flashlight app in order to display a bright white screen.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 08:46 PM

I suspect the reception issues are because of upgrades not yet performed on the majority of AT&Ts network.

Lets let em launch the product before we panick eh? I bet at midnight those problems disappear.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I suspect the reception issues are because of upgrades not yet performed on the majority of AT&Ts network.

Lets let em launch the product before we panick eh? I bet at midnight those problems disappear.
Do you really think AT&T is holding back network upgrades???

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 09:22 PM

iphone 4 in hand. Last 3GS sync going down now. App updates being downloaded. Will update with how long the transfer to new phone takes...

OMG. Pretty much instantaneous. Going to play now. byeee.
( Last edited by scaught; Jun 23, 2010 at 09:35 PM. )

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2010, 09:23 PM

Why would that be induced by holding the phone in a certain way? I don't think this has anything to do with it, unless there's some logic update they're going to push to the way their cell towers work (seems very unlikely). It's either a hardware defect (lets hope not), or a software defect on the iPhone, something along the lines of the phone improperly calculating the signal strength (hopefully this, so it can be fixed easily).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2010, 09:41 PM

What do you mean about upgrades? iPhone 4's improved reception is supposed to be due to the new case design.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
What do you mean about upgrades? iPhone 4's improved reception is supposed to be due to the new case design.
Yeh I agree, I heard of no network upgrade on phone launch. You have a link to support this?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2010, 01:44 AM

Many are reporting that there is actually no difference in call quality/reception. The signal status indicators, which is a very simple display, use complex algorithms based on signal strength, noise, etc etc. I would imagine that your hand greatly affects the inputs into those algorithms, and I'd bet you that the new iPhone needs some sort of update to AT&Ts network to take full advantage of the new antennae (remember the new cell tower selection process touted for iPhone4?), and that not all of AT&T's towers are up to speed before the phone actually launched. Several people on other boards who loaded jailbroken profiles to iPhone 4 after experiencing the problem, reported that the actual signal strength and noise when displayed as a number did not change.

All i'm sayin is let the damn thing launch before making assumptions about its operation on AT&Ts network

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2010, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Yeh I agree, I heard of no network upgrade on phone launch. You have a link to support this?
Call it experienced intuition.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It also has new frequency selection algorithms based on interference and channel crowding rather than solely on signal strength alone.

Nought to do with the carrier, though.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2010, 03:11 AM

If that were causing an issue besides signal indication, you would be right. The fact that it only affects data connection is a strong indicator that its an issue with the iPhone and AT&T. Wait and see.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2010, 08:07 AM

More on the dropped signal when you hold it - Some iPhone 4 models see signals drop to 0 when held left-handed, including ours (video) -- Engadget

Its something to do with the hand touching across the 2 antenna sections at the bottom left corner, bridging them over and killing the signal strength. That part of the phone falls naturally on the skin when its held in the left hand. The rubber bumpers completely bypass the problem because there's no skin contact with the metal. Weird.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2010, 08:44 AM

Did Apple test these things out, for crying out loud? Harumpf! Harumpf!

Apple should include bumpers for free, or fix the problem with a clear non conductive coating.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Andrew88088
Jun 24, 2010, 09:06 AM

I just got home from the Apple store. The line was crazier than I thought it'd be. I arrived at about 4:45am and there were at least 200 people, if not more, already there. Thankfully I had a reservation because they split the lines and I ended up skipping over almost everyone. I got inside at 7:30 and was out the door at about 7:40. The line was definitely over a block long when I was walking to my car.

This thing is great. The screen is gorgeous and everything is very quick. I've been playing around with it and so far, there has been no issue of the signal bars dropping to zero when touching the metal band. I even tried touching both sections in the bottom corner at the same time and nothing happened. No sign of a yellow tint either, thankfully!

Forum Links
Forum Rules