Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 3400 Problems

Powerbook 3400 Problems
jddreyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2005, 01:14 AM

I recently picked up a Powerbook 3400, but so far it's given me nothing but headaches.

Any system I install on it crashes at startup except for 8.0, I've tried clean installs of 8.5 and 9.0 and updates to 8.1, 8.6, and 9.1.

But that isn't even my biggest problem right now.
Now the damn thing goes right into sleep mode as soon as it starts up, hitting keys brings it out for about a second and then it goes right back into it.

I'm almost ready to give up trying to get it to work.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or ideas I might I could try to solve the sleep problem at the very least?

Thanks,
Jon

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2005, 04:55 PM

Could it be a power issue? Try disconnecting the battery and plugging in the AC to see if it starts up under AC power. If it doesn't, there's your problem.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by jddreyer
I recently picked up a Powerbook 3400, but so far it's given me nothing but headaches.

Any system I install on it crashes at startup except for 8.0, I've tried clean installs of 8.5 and 9.0 and updates to 8.1, 8.6, and 9.1.

But that isn't even my biggest problem right now.
Now the damn thing goes right into sleep mode as soon as it starts up, hitting keys brings it out for about a second and then it goes right back into it.

I'm almost ready to give up trying to get it to work.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or ideas I might I could try to solve the sleep problem at the very least?

Thanks,
Jon
Don't take this the wrong way but R U for real buying a very aged PowerBook 3400? Why did you choose that computer? It's not a computer that is easily repairable based on it's age and isn't even supported. Did you test it before you bought it?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

jddreyer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2005, 02:38 AM

It was cheap enough (to me) that even if I don't get it to work I can throw it in the trash and not feel too bad.

That said, from everything I've tried I think it is a problem with the PMU.
As far as I can tell it is not software since the same problem occurs when starting up from a variety of different startup disks (CDs, Floppies, and Zip disks).

The computer boots fine without a battery in, so I don't think it's the power supply.
I tried disconnecting the PRAM battery with no effect.

I'm going to try starting with the hard drive and modem/ethernet card removed just to test the last two parts I would conisder replacing.

I'm watching for a replacment PMU on eBay and will buy one as soon as I can. If that doesn't work I would assume that the problem is with the motherboard, which I am unwilling to go to the extra expense to replace.

When I get a new PMU I will try to remember to come back here and post whether or not it works so that if anyone else has a similar problem in the future there is a record.

Thanks,
Jon

jddreyer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2005, 11:04 PM

Well, I got my hands on a new PMU board for my 3400...

Replaced it today, started up and then boom right into sleep still

So for future reference when a Powerbook 3400 continuously goes into sleep, the PMU board is not at fault.

After all the expense at this point I really should just give up, but I'll keep watching eBay and see if I can't find a new logic board for this beast.

It's almost become an obession with me to see if I can fix this thing...

bbales
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 08:40 PM

I have a 3400 -- broken trackpad. It was a good little computer in its day. I bought mine used and it still works great (trackpad exception!).

We might be able to do something...

Forum Links
Forum Rules