Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 116)
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2008, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I love how people keep saying this, cuz I don't really understand why.

It's a console, and it plays games. Ironically, the Wii is the most game-oriented on the bunch. At the other extreme is the PS3 which does everything except iron your clothes... and has a pricetag to match.
It's a console and it plays games. The similarities end there. See how it is marketed and who it is marketed to.

You might come to some realisation that just because it plays games does not mean it is the same product or even in the same category.

iPhone and iPods plays games. Does it mean that they are in the same category as a DS or a PSP?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
... They were hoping LBP would be, but apparently it isnt, they got way too ambitious and the game got way too complex imo.
Too complex? Have you actually sat down and played LBP? Basically all you do visit different areas on the map and collect stickers. What's so complex about that? Or did you mean the game's controls were complex? I never had a problem with them. The tutorials you go through in the beginning are informative, funny and easy to follow. (Stephen Fry does a terrific job narrating them.)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I am a lifelong Nintendo fanboy who grew up with the company... and I freaking hate everything about the Wii. It's the worst console I have ever owned.
QFT. I've owned every Nintendo system since the NES and the Wii has by far the worst game library. You know it's bad when you own more games for the Virtual Boy than the Wii. (6 to 4)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 03:24 AM

I finally got myself a xbox 360. Hmm... damn, I don't even play games anymore. All I play these days are FPS on my PC. What the hell do I do with my xbox 360? I guess I'll try guitar hero.

Oh yeah, my HDDVD xbox drive is finally in use.

With $3.99 HDDVD movies to go.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
It's a console and it plays games. The similarities end there. See how it is marketed and who it is marketed to.
All that means is that Nintendo had a much better read of the market.

iPhone and iPods plays games. Does it mean that they are in the same category as a DS or a PSP?
Not yet, but Apple sure as hell is trying to put it there.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 09:53 AM

It's a console, and it plays games. Ironically, the Wii is the most game-oriented on the bunch. At the other extreme is the PS3 which does everything except iron your clothes... and has a pricetag to match.
Actually claiming the Wii doesn't compete with the PS3 or XB360 is a mental condition know as SGS(sour grapes syndrome). Some people have been known to have it, they've been labeled as "fanboys" or "techno elitists". the former being the more popular term.

Stogie, LBP looks "cute" and has the skin of a "appeals to everyone" game. But a large part of it is, user generated content, and that UI for making your content looks like something only an involved hobbyist would enjoy as opposed to new gamers. Ive heard that the game is pretty short and inorder to get the most out of it you need to get online and download user generated levels, im not sure if most gamers(or new gamers) are up to that. As far as plat-forming and gameplay goes, your right it looks straightforward and easy enough. Thats just my opinion.

The fast that LBP didnt sell very well could be because the PS3 userbase is a mostly a niche of hardcore players who arent interested in this sort of a game ? Ad this is a AAA effort imo.

As far as one of my previous comments regarding discontinuing the PS2, i can see why SONY wants to keep selling it, as it is probably making up for the loss they make on the PS3. But seriously, 3.2 Ghz 7 core CELL, gajillion gigaflops,etc,etc... and they cant even emulate a 299Mhz PS2 ? Something doesnt add up. That would be like the Wii not being capable of running N64 games. It could be a business decision to help sell PS2s i guess ? but thats killing the PS3 eh ?

And as far as commentary on the Wii, im stoked with this console. I had an NES and Genesis, then the Cube and finally the Wii. The Wii is sorta like the cumulative of my gaming life and then some. And i skipped out on the SNES/N64 stuff... so it's great to have that option available now. All in one pretty small box. Online is not overly emphasized or required which i like, no "patches" and a decent stream of games imo.... more than what i had on the GameCube anyway. the only thing missing on the Wii is a Factor5 game.

Cheers

PS>> The iPhone/iTouch, since the launch of the App Store, does compete with the PSP and NDS.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Dec 15, 2008 at 10:07 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2008, 10:44 AM

PS>> The iPhone/iTouch, since the launch of the App Store, does compete with the PSP and NDS.
If it does it's losing horribly.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
If it does it's losing horribly.
Yes it is, but OTOH, this portion of the market offers the iPhone/iPod platform room for growth. Remember, they're primarily phones and/or music players, but have the potential of carving a nice chunk of the handheld gaming market, both from introducing new customers to the market, and by stealing some customers from the 'classic' handheld gaming market. Not the same thing, but this is what the Wii has done to the 360 and PS3. It captured a nice chunk of the lower end casual gamer market, but also introduced a whole new segment of the population to gaming.

I think the PDA market is an interesting analogy. Phones entered the PDA market and for many years phones were "losing horribly" in that market segment. However, today the classic PDA market essentially doesn't even exist anymore.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 03:29 PM

I loved the GC controller. So comfortable. Wavebird + Metroid = Awesome.
I too, thought it was very comfortable, but I wasn't a fan of the randomly single Z button, nor the off-axis X & Y buttons.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
QFT. I've owned every Nintendo system since the NES and the Wii has by far the worst game library. You know it's bad when you own more games for the Virtual Boy than the Wii. (6 to 4)
I think the GC and Wii still have the best 1st party titles available, and that's why I bought the former and would the latter. But the Wiimote doesn't appeal to me (perhaps in the way that a regular controller doesn't appeal to computer gamers), otherwise I'd probably have bought a Wii to supplement my gaming the way the GameCube ended up supplementing my gaming last gen.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2008, 06:23 PM

Actually claiming the Wii doesn't compete with the PS3 or XB360 is a mental condition know as SGS(sour grapes syndrome). Some people have been known to have it, they've been labeled as "fanboys" or "techno elitists". the former being the more popular term.
I own a Wii and not any of the other consoles. Guess I have sour grapes syndrome.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 12:55 PM

Hm... I'm thinking about returning my xbox 360. It's cool and all. Love the netflix streaming function and the media center extension capability. However, I realize I don't have much time for games. And the new Jasper xbox 360 has a very annoying fan noise. High pitch whirling noise. Drying me nuts when trying to watch a netflix streaming movie at night.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 12:57 PM

I can't imagine the fan is any louder than the older ones.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 01:09 PM

It's not the loudness of the fan that is driving me nuts. It's the high pitch whirling noise. So guy posted a video and it's pretty much like what I hear of the Jasper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NByr51PDEo

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 01:12 PM

I can't view that at work, but if you don't plan on using it for gaming I wouldn't see much point in keeping it, either.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 01:31 PM

I'll do to the xbox 360, what I do to all my other games system. Take it apart and mod the sh*t out of it. My xbox (original version) was modded and had over 100 games on its hard drive. Ended up not playing any of the games. Just thought it was cool. Only play one game on it, which was burnout 3. I think I just wanted to make the xbox 360 into a media system, rather than a game system. My original xbox is a media system too. Just not powerful enough to play those mkv files.

Hell, I bought Bioshock (PC version) last Christmas and after a year, it's not even opened yet. It might be opened next year since I just got myself a new video card which happens to come with COD 4. Oh, and I still have half life orange box to play, which I also bought last year with Bioshock.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 01:37 PM

At least you picked a good game to actually play.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 05:36 PM

Woohoo, FedEx delivered my Guitar Heroes III game. $50 with wireless guitar from Circuit City. Ordered it yesterday with free shipping. Got it this morning. Circuity City is fast.

My first Guitar Hero game.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2008, 01:21 PM

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ancial-trouble
One source claims staff turned up to work today to find doors locked, and instructions to meet at a nearby hotel for a final company meeting.
I don't think most peeps here really care, but assuming this is true, it sucks, as I was a fan of TimeSplitters 2 (probably the most "GoldenEye" FPS around, not a surprise as a good deal of the staff were former RARE employees), and was looking forward to a TS4 (Which had a great conceptual logo, BTW.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2008, 01:27 PM

Here, have another facet to use in the console bickering:
http://kotaku.com/5112876/top+seller...engaging-games
Merry Xmas!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2008, 02:34 PM

Like most exercise equipment in America, it looks like Wii Fit is bought and put aside.

I'd like to see the numbers for November. That's a very cool way to look at these things.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2008, 02:39 PM

Like most exercise equipment in America, it looks like Wii Fit is bought and put aside.

I'd like to see the numbers for November. That's a very cool way to look at these things.
I see a lot flaws in it (though I agree with your assessment). I'd much rather see it measure amount of times a user logs on with a game (with a set cool down period so someone logging on to Halo 3 times in the period of 5 hours only counts as 1 log). All 3 systems have the capability of doing so (Hell, MS posts rankings every week. They should take the next step and add the numbers).

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2008, 09:41 AM

A pity about the Free Radical Design folks… I wonder how many other studios are actually in trouble :-/

Well, I really like this WiiWare title, Art Style: CUBELLO, rather addictive and affordable, only 600 WiiPoints. There are another Art Style titles but I like CUBELLO the most. Worth a look

BTW, after all the rumors about it being a retail release, World of Goo is also a WiiWare title here in Europe.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2008, 03:21 AM

So have I told anyone that I've recently begun to regret selling my third 360?

Not regretting buying a PS3, just missing the 360 (mostly due to the fact that now all my family and friends have upgraded to MS's system and are playing each other online).

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
So have I told anyone that I've recently begun to regret selling my third 360?

Not regretting buying a PS3, just missing the 360 (mostly due to the fact that now all my family and friends have upgraded to MS's system and are playing each other online).
Yep, the 360 seems to be the more social platform.

So, what games have you gotten for your PS3, anyway?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 01:43 PM

wonder if the wii would still be the most popular console in our poll
we don't have time to stop for gas

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2008, 01:54 PM

• + Streaming video & music (alternative to Apple TV)
  • + Games
  • + Can be fun and 'proper' at the same time
  • - Loud

Wii
  • + Fun factor
  • + Movement
  • + Small & nimble
  • - Boring after a while, usually need more than one person to have constant fun

I own both, and they both have their advantages. But if I had to give up one? It'd be the Wii. The streaming advantages of the 360 just sell it right there to me. Although I did just get a Wii Fit as a present for a relative - so I'm sure that'll spark up some more fun times.

As for the PS3? I've never even used one so I don't think I'm suited to give a proper opinion.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
wonder if the wii would still be the most popular console in our poll
Unquestionably. A lot of people on here have one, even if they don't play it anymore.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Unquestionably. A lot of people on here have one, even if they don't play it anymore.
And my guess is that there are many Wii users that would simply vote in this poll and walk away, not to associate with the "video game nerds" who actually argue about this stuff.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 02:08 PM

And my guess is that there are many Wii users that would simply vote in this poll and walk away, not to associate with the "video game nerds" who actually argue about this stuff.
Okay... That really has nothing to do with anything I was saying... and the wink smiley is even more confusing.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2008, 02:45 PM

Okay... That really has nothing to do with anything I was saying... and the wink smiley is even more confusing.
Just that even though most of this thread/forum is 360 users, the discussion probably doesn't accurately represent the ownership. And that many of the Wii owners may vote in the poll (keeping it in the majority) but not take part in the discussion.

I dunno why I winked.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 02:47 PM

So you were agreeing with me in a roundabout way?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2008, 05:14 PM

So you were agreeing with me in a roundabout way?
I think so.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 05:16 PM

Ok. I'm easily confused today.
no, today? cracks, ****ers.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2008, 04:26 PM

Yep, the 360 seems to be the more social platform.

So, what games have you gotten for your PS3, anyway?
Currently...
Orange Box
FIFA 09
Rock Band
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2008, 11:42 AM

Currently...
Orange Box
FIFA 09
Rock Band
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Nice cross-section of games.

Give Portal a try yet?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2008, 09:24 PM

Nice cross-section of games.

Give Portal a try yet?
Not yet. Brace yourself for the following...

I'd never played Half-Life 2 until today. I bought the Orange Box two days ago, and have finally gotten around to working my way through. I don't know if I'm going to start up Portal until I'm done with Episodes 1 and 2, but it's definitely tempting.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2008, 09:32 PM

Not yet. Brace yourself for the following...

I'd never played Half-Life 2 until today
I have yet to.

I say go with Portal first, it's short.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2008, 09:49 PM

I have yet to.
I'm glad to hear someone else say that. The last person that I told I hadn't played H-L2 looked at me like I'd stabbed their mother to death.

I say go with Portal first, it's short.
Probably a good suggestion considering how long I usually stay with a console.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2008, 10:12 PM

I'm glad to hear someone else say that. The last person that I told I hadn't played H-L2 looked at me like I'd stabbed their mother to death.
Hey, I'm a console gamer. PC gamers can stick it up their sanctimonious asses.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2008, 10:14 PM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2008, 10:19 PM

Speaking of sanctimonious, nice sig.
*giggle*

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 12:05 AM

As I've told people from the start: The Wii is a completely different category. It doesn't even make sense putting it up against the Xbox and the PS3.
It's a console, and it plays games.
Pretty simple: The Wii appeals to people who never bought a gaming console before, and would have never bought a PS3 or XB. It's a complete game changer.

Yes, it does play games, but it introduces "games" that are far less serious and makes it a gaming experience for all ages, very young to very old. What other gaming console do you know where senior citizens band together to form their own leagues ?

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2008, 01:57 AM

I wouldn't react that harsh, but HL2 is just about the best FPS experience made thus far.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2008, 11:32 PM

Hey, I'm a console gamer. PC gamers can stick it up their sanctimonious asses.
Thanks...
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2008, 03:24 AM

Speaking of sanctimonious, nice sig.
Heh...

Even if you don't exactly like the top part, surely the bottom isn't objectionable.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 04:07 AM

The last time I tried to love my neighbor as I love myself, I got slapped with a restraining order.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2008, 04:40 AM

The last time I tried to love my neighbor as I love myself, I got slapped with a restraining order.
I don't know whether it's the time of night (morning) or whatever, but I actually chuckled at that...out loud.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 05:52 AM

Do you love yourself as much as you love your xbox? I bet you spend a lot of time with your joystick.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 06:00 AM

I just can't stand play FPS on a console. It has to be with a mouse and kb.

Computer: FPS, RTS (Warcraft)
Console: Racing, Fighting (Street Fighter), Platform game, Third-Party Action (MGS, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider), and basically everything else

Then again, all I play these days are FPS and RTS.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 07:51 AM

Wow. I just plugged in a USB hard drive formatted in HFS+ for my Mac Mini and my xbox 360 recognizes it. I was able to play all my mpeg 4 video files on it. My H.264 mpeg 4 video files I converted for Apple TV from DVD's, which contain both AC3 track and stereo track. Too bad it doesn't play the AC3 track.

xbox 360 is a pretty good media center. It's a media center extender, so I can watch TV on it just because I have a TV turner in my PC running Windows Media Center.

So my xbox 360 is for Live HDTV, Netflix streaming, HDDVD, DVD, and mp4 video playing. Nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules