Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Keywords for books

Keywords for books
quarter_pounder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2006, 11:49 AM

Hi there!

First of all: Great software! Yesterday I decided to spend the 20$, and I already entered many books, dvds and games into DL. Worked without problems so far.

I use spotlight a lot to find stuff, especially documents releated to my studies. Is there a way in DL to use keywords to describe the contents of a book? Unfortunately user notes under "my info" (a field which one could use to enter data relevant to a book such as a short summary) does not seem to be indexed via spotlight...

I could use the spotlight feature "spotlight commentary" to comment individual book data in the file system, but I am not sure if the cached data gets flushed once in a while... also I am fairly new to the mac and dont know if there are more drwabacks to this method.

any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2006, 04:43 PM

The notes field is Spotlight indexed, but it make take a while to catch up with you, since it sounds like you're on quite a tear.

You can also use the genre field. Type option-enter to add new lines.

quarter_pounder  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2006, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the response.

Tried it, entered some keywords in the notes field, and waited... even re-initialized the spotlight index... then started a spotlight search (using the keyword, say "UML"), but the only Delicious Library thing that I get as a search result is the file "Library Media Data.xml", suppposedly containing important metadata (it seems that this is basically the database minus the resources themselves).

The same search within DL yields the proper result. Anything I might be missing here?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2006, 05:38 AM

Hmm, almost every case of junk Spotlight searches has gone away, but who knows. It might be an Intel bug, recondite little buggers that they are.

quarter_pounder  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 12:31 PM

yeah, its no biggie... for the time being I can live with it. Its a good thing that spotlight integration is provided at all! For the record I have a white MacBook w/ 2GB of ram and OS 10.4.7. I'd be grateful if you could look into the issue perhaps for a later revision.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 05:07 PM

If your Spotlight problems are persistent, you can reset Spotlight's Delicious Library metadata by removing the folder (in your home folder) at ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Delicious Library Items/ and then re-launching Delicious Library.

Forum Links
Forum Rules