Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Express, Wireless printing issues

Express, Wireless printing issues
dmlpbg4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 02:54 PM

I have a MBP and a MB (both running latest v. of 10.5). I have a cable modem connected to an airport express (802.11(g)). I also have a samsung laser printer connected to the express to allow for wireless printing.

Here's my issue. Regardless of the computer, wireless printing almost always fails. The printer "window" says that it has transmitted 15% of the data, and then just pauses. Nothing ever prints. In the past, I always had to unplug the express, turn off the printer, plug in the express, wait for it to "turn green" and then connect and power-up the printer. This usually worked as long as I never turned the printer off.

Now, even that procedure does not work. (Incidently, I can connect the printer directly to my laptops and print, so it's not the printer).

Any thoughts on what to do? I presume it is either a problem with my wireless settings (I have wireless set to WPA and 802.11(g)) or perhaps a hardware problem with the express.

Should I just go out and buy a new express (802.11(n))?

Thoughts appreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 04:01 PM

It's not you or AExpress or wireless printing, it's the effing Security Update 2008-2.

It tried to fix CUPS, and royally f***ed it up.

Some people reported that reverting to an old pstop file would fix it (see above link):
" I restored the /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstops file from Time Machine and printer works again."

Others found that AudioHijack's Instant HiJack was the problem:
"I found the root cause of the problem in my case: there was a conflit with Audio Hijack Pro's Instant Hijack component.

Removing Instant Hijack solved all the various problems I had since the security update, and I have reapplied the update without any problems so far."

Dig through that thread, there's plenty of voodoo to try out

The other solution right now is to go back to pre Security Update 2008-2.
If you have TM enabled, you can roll back to that state, but don't forget to save ALL changes that you made since then.

-t

dmlpbg4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 04:51 PM

Fantastic. Great job Apple. Well, I'll have to wait till the next security update or fix. Thanks for saving me the hassle and $$ of buying a new express.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by dmlpbg4 View Post
Fantastic. Great job Apple. Well, I'll have to wait till the next security update or fix. Thanks for saving me the hassle and $$ of buying a new express.
Please read the link. It should give you several tips how you can try to fix it, like installing certain updates (Audio Hijack).

It seems to me more and more that this is an issue with third party stuff colliding with Apple stuff.
If that's the case, future Security Updates might not fix it.

-t

dmlpbg4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 05:38 PM

Thank you. I did read the link. I do not have (nor have I ever heard of) audio hijack. Yet you are right it could be 3rd party hardware. Not sure what however, since I have not installed any "hacks" that I know of, but I suppose it could be a normal program. At any rate, the linked forum did not seem to have suggestions other than installing the former security update, which seems a little risky/complex to me.

Thanks again.

dmlpbg4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 05:38 PM

correction -- ...could be third party software

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by dmlpbg4 View Post
At any rate, the linked forum did not seem to have suggestions other than installing the former security update, which seems a little risky/complex to me.
Yes, it did, restoring the original /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstops, either from TM backup, or extracting it from 10.5.2 via Pacifist.

-t

dmlpbg4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2008, 11:23 AM

Right you are. Well, I'll give it a try. Thank you.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2008, 11:39 AM

Btw, just for your info.

After I restored my iMac to pre SU via TimeMachine, I felt experimental.

So I did the following:

1) Made sure all Audio HiJack components are updated.
2) Installed the Security Update

==> Sure as hell, printing was broken

3) restored the original /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstops from TM backup

==> printing still broken

4) Reboot

==> ET VOILA, printing works again, with SU 2008-2 installed.

-t

Cold Warrior
Apr 6, 2008, 10:54 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules