Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to open a Performa/Quarda 630

How to open a Performa/Quarda 630
pkatt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2002, 02:38 PM

I bought a Performa 630 CD yesterday at an auction. It works, but when I boot it up, it gives me the blinking "?" in a disc. I want to open it up so I can check to see the cables are connected right and, if neccessary, put in another drive. I found out how to pull out the logic board, but I can't find anywhere how to get to the drives. Can anyone help?

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2002, 04:08 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by pkatt:
<strong>I bought a Performa 630 CD yesterday at an auction. It works, but when I boot it up, it gives me the blinking "?" in a disc. I want to open it up so I can check to see the cables are connected right and, if neccessary, put in another drive. I found out how to pull out the logic board, but I can't find anywhere how to get to the drives. Can anyone help?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">underneath the front panel are two clips that hold on the front cover (bezel)

Retract those with your leverage tool of choice gently. Within you will hav access to the CD-Rom, HD and floppy. They are all IDE devices.

The HD just slides out.

hope that helps

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

DrBoar
Senior User
Jun 26, 2002, 02:51 AM

It could also be the battery that is dead, as the symptoms of a dead battery varies between diffrent computers. For the 630 you will need to slide out the motherboard from the back and then get a velcro attached battery

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2002, 07:39 AM

Hey Pkat,
Congratulations on your catch! When you boot from a system cd, if you run system profiler or drive set-up, how does it report the drive?
dave
If I remember correctly, on this machine, there should be latches that hold the front bezel on... if you press the releases (which are under the front of the machine) you should be able to pull the front bezel off. Then, I believe there is a metal shield which you pull off, and then you slide the drive tray out (both the CD and the hard drive should be on their own sled) Good luck! I'm going from memory, so forgive me if I'm slightly off
Whoops, I'm tired... zazou already answered this (so I guess I'm just reiterating his fine answer --- which also means that my memory wasn't too far off mark )

<SpinyNorman>
Jun 26, 2002, 03:47 PM

I paid $1,799.00 for mine, new. It was a good deal at the time. Much cheaper than the fx I had at work. That one set the company back about $10K, including the Radius card and maxing out the RAM. That seemed like a good deal at the time, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules