Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is it safe to get a powerbook these days?

Is it safe to get a powerbook these days?
zacharie
Dec 14, 2003, 10:23 AM

Dear Powerbook users,

I dream of getting a 15" FW800 Powerbook in the near future.
I have browsed extensively your forum and I am somewhat afraid of getting it, after hearing of white spots and battery drains.
What is the situation today? Do you think these problems are now resolved and should I get my laptop?
Is it necessary to wait for MWSF before buying?
Thanks to help me please.

Please give me an advice.

Zacharie
( Last edited by zacharie; Dec 14, 2003 at 11:02 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 14, 2003, 12:42 PM

Apple is now officially replacing screens for the white spots problem. I seriously doubt they're shipping new units with bad screens.

tooki

P.S. From the title of the thread alone, I would have to respond: "I don't think it's ever been hazardous to buy a PowerBook, other than to the bank account!"

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2003, 01:09 PM

I purchased an AppleStore refurbed 1.25ghz AlBook almost two weeks ago and it has been flawless since then.

Speaking of refurbs - I highly recommend picking one up if you can, the savings are significant! (1.25ghz AlBook, 80 gig, 512mb single module = $2099).
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 03:29 PM

tgrundke: Wow, that's a good deal. Unfortunately, I just checked and they are out of them, only the 12" PB is available. But, I'll definitely check back on the refurbished section in case it becomes available again.

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2003, 03:56 PM

I live in Bston and bought them from the Apple store here, it came pre-installed with Panther (for some reason some of them didn't, strange, so that means it one of the latest run?? meaning better displays?). It's flawless no dead pixels, perfect (keeps fingers cross about possible surfacing white spots...).

15" Superdrive purchased.

Personally I think it's safe to buy, plus as noted above, it seems as if Apple will replace the white spots (or you could wait for a Rev C...
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2003, 04:24 PM

TheIceMan:

It was quite difficult to get my hands on one - I first saw them on Apple's website in early November and it had sold out by the time I hit "buy" on the website! So, I began checking every day, several times per day and it wasn't until early December that by random chance on Monday morning at around 7am I checked the website and - voila! one was there for the picking.

The book is perfect - the only thing that you *don't * get is the original PowerBook box. Instead, it comes in a brown-box stating "Refurbished Apple Product". Otherwise, it comes with the full warranty and AppleCare is of course available. The only other downside is that you cannot order any special promotions, such as the $99 Final Cut Express deal. But again, not a big deal.

For a savings of almost $600, I can handle that. ;-)

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
tgrundke: Wow, that's a good deal. Unfortunately, I just checked and they are out of them, only the 12" PB is available. But, I'll definitely check back on the refurbished section in case it becomes available again.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 05:50 PM

tgrundke: Thanks for the tip. I know what you mean about the $600. That is alot of money.

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 07:46 PM

If you want to save $$$, you might wait for the Rev. C... Not to but a Rev. C, but to pick up a used Rev. A or B that is being displaced by someone with a new Rev. C...

...Or, you could wait (forever) for the new G5 PowerBook...

carney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 12:23 AM

I just got my new 1.25 ALPB. I am quite happy. I replaced a nearly 3 year old TiPB. The new performance os great and so far no problems (touch Al). I'd add some props for my Tibook. It survive a daily bicycle ride in my Ortlieb pannier, bouncing around in the bag with no protection other than my books and papers.
Scott

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
tgrundke: Thanks for the tip. I know what you mean about the $600. That is alot of money.
Actually it is only a $500 savings. If you include tax you are really only saving $375.

But still a nice price for a PB!

jimf_81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 01:14 PM

I just bought a 17" PB direct from Apple and the thing is amazing. No problems here at all.

naderby
Dec 16, 2003, 09:51 AM

I was thinking of going to the local PC World here in the UK instead of the Apple Store to get a 15"er in a few days. I'll be doing this so that I can look at the display before I pay for it.

Can anybody suggest a way I can quickly scan for white spots/dead pixels without going through the registration pages?

Forum Links
Forum Rules