Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Need help with an error code -3170

Need help with an error code -3170
Reddleader
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2002, 03:53 PM

Does anyone know how to get rid of this error code -3170 I get it when I try to connect to the internet. I only get it under os9. When using osx I can connect without any problem. I'm not a programmer so I don't understand it. I reinstalled the os, but that did not help. Please help me if you can

Good day
Mike
Good day

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2002, 04:25 PM

Hi Mike,
In OS9, does this error occur with any internet application (ie when trying to check email, internet, etc)? or with just a specific application? Are you connecting via modem, or broadband? When you reinstalled, did you just install over the current, did you erase and install, or did you do a clean system install?
dave

Reddleader  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2002, 05:13 PM

Hi Dave,

The only time I get it is when I use the "remote access" from the control strip on my ibook 500. Its the only thing I use to connect and I have not noticed the error on anything else. I connect using the internal modem over the the slooooooooow phone line. When I did the reinstall (which I did today) I just reinstalled over the exsisting OS, I did not do a clean install because I did not want the hassle of redoing everything. Hope this Helps, thanks for responding.

Mike
Good day

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2002, 01:34 AM

According to <a href="http://www.appleerrorcodes.com" target="_blank">Apple Error Codes Web Page</a> , it's an Open Transport error, "The endpoint name is invalid."

Are you completely prevented from getting on the internet by this error? If so, I would suspect that your configuration is bad. Make sure that all of your TCP/IP, Modem, and Remote Access settings are correct. Also, Internet Config, if you're using it. It also wouldn't hurt to make sure that all your Open Transport extensions are ok - someone help me out here - is there a standalone installer for OT, or does the OS9 installer have OT as an option under Custom Install? Now, having given you a ton of stuff to check, my gut tells me that in your TCP/IP Control Panel, you have the "Configure" option set incorrectly for your ISP. I assume that you have "Connect via" set to PPP? Try all of the other options under the "Configure" pop-up menu, and see if that helps. IIRC, "Using PPP Server" is the most common setting.

If you only get this error occasionally, I'd say that the problem is on the other end.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes!

Reddleader  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2002, 05:27 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Sword of Orion:
<strong>According to <a href="http://www.appleerrorcodes.com" target="_blank">Apple Error Codes Web Page</a> , it's an Open Transport error, "The endpoint name is invalid."

Are you completely prevented from getting on the internet by this error? If so, I would suspect that your configuration is bad. Make sure that all of your TCP/IP, Modem, and Remote Access settings are correct. Also, Internet Config, if you're using it. It also wouldn't hurt to make sure that all your Open Transport extensions are ok - someone help me out here - is there a standalone installer for OT, or does the OS9 installer have OT as an option under Custom Install? Now, having given you a ton of stuff to check, my gut tells me that in your TCP/IP Control Panel, you have the "Configure" option set incorrectly for your ISP. I assume that you have "Connect via" set to PPP? Try all of the other options under the "Configure" pop-up menu, and see if that helps. IIRC, "Using PPP Server" is the most common setting.

If you only get this error occasionally, I'd say that the problem is on the other end.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks for trying to help, No, I cannot connect at all to the internet and I will double check my settings tonight. What does it mean if the "endpoint name is invalid" What baffles me is I didnt change anything and all of the sudden I can't connect. Oh well, its still a thousand times better than Windows Me or 98.
Good day

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2002, 02:17 PM

I'm certainly NOT an Open Transport guru, but my guess is that the "endpoints" are the names or IP addresses of the two machines trying to establish a connection. If OT is like other networking protocols*, there is a header that includes the designations of both the sender and the receiver, and if either these is incorrect (or blank!) the connection will fail. (Remember, just my guess!) That's why I'm thinking that your "Configure" field is incorrectly set in your TCP/IP Control Panel - if your machine can't configure itself properly, it might not be able to fill out the info in it's outgoing OT packets properly.

*actually I always thought of OT as a wrapper than included a lot of other networking protocols in one common front-end. No idea why I think that - maybe someone could correct me?

Reddleader  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2002, 08:59 PM

I fixed the problem, I had to reinstall the entire system folder. I did try to reset my internet configurations, but that did not work. I also reinstalled open transport and that did not work either. Thanks for try to help everyone.

Mike
Good day

Forum Links
Forum Rules