Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Launching applications software

Launching applications software
jeff k
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2002, 06:45 PM

I have been using Apple�s f keys to launch programs, but as I get deeper in photoshop and final cut, I realize that it�s better to keep these keys free and get a separate program for launching applications. I was wondering what people might recommend for that. Thanks Ken W.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2002, 11:41 PM

There's always the launcher. Put aliases to your programs in the folder "Launcher Items" that's in your system folder. Then open the Launcher control panel and you're set. If you want to make additional tabs for the launcher, make a folder with the first character a bullet ( � , made by pressing option+8).

Brad

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2002, 11:43 AM

I think that's a little too cumbersome. Right now it's just one quick click. F1, F2 etc. and the program comes up.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2002, 11:45 AM

You can do what Brad mentions, or also add an applications folder to your apple menu folder in your system folder. After that, make aliases of any applications you want access to and put them inthat folder. That way, youcan launch them from apple menu>applications.
regards,
dave

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2002, 11:50 AM

You can also try <a href="http://www.cesoft.com/products/qkmac.html" target="_blank">QuicKeys</a> , or another thought... it's been awhile since I used this feature, but can't you use key modifiers so that you can keep the finction keys available for apps like FCP and PS (ie &lt;ctrl&gt;+,&lt;fn key&gt?
good luck!
dave

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2002, 05:55 PM

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just going to the apple for anything is a lot slower than just clicking an F key.

Yes, if you click option, you can still use F keys in photoshop etc; what bugs me is one book on photoshop give you lot of nice actions which include the dang option key! Hence, the advice for alternative.

I heard of quick keys, I'll debate all options. any other ideas appreciated.

Ps. when I got my e mail notificaiton, I the wheel just turned and turned and stopped, had to force quit and visit site manually!

Forum Links
Forum Rules