Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > overclock an 8600?

overclock an 8600?
dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2002, 03:06 PM

i just got an old 8600 and it is great. i am going to get an upgrade for it as soon as i can afford it, but in the meantime i was wondering if there was a way to overclock it..or if there is a place that sells CHEAP 604e processors I could stick in it's place to get a small speed boost until I can afford a G4 upgrade for it.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2002, 12:03 PM

Motorola processors do not respond well to consumer level hacking. In fact, one of the easiest ways of killing a Mac is playing around with its clock speed.

If you want a dramatic speed improvement now, dredge the Internet in all the usual spots for Mac parts vendors (dont forget eBay) for G3 upgrade cards. G3 upgrades are highly available and with the MB buss speed on that machine will be about the maximum real performance increase that you will see on any computer of that era.

You do have one of the better pre G3 platforms to build a G3 off from.

Forum Links
Forum Rules