Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Original Apple 'rainbow' HQ signs to go up for auction in June

Original Apple 'rainbow' HQ signs to go up for auction in June
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 19, 2014, 11:52 AM

Two old exterior signs that hung at Apple's Cupertino headquarters -- using the company's original rainbow color scheme -- are scheduled to go up for auction in June, reports note. One measures 46x49 inches, and is made of foam. The other is only 33.5x36, but is constructed with metal-backed fiberglass. The pair both show signs of wear; that however is generally expected to raise their value. Current estimates peg their final sale price at between $10,000 and $15,000.

The rainbow Apple logo was designed by Rob Janoff, and used from 1977 until the late 1990s, making it the company's most recognizable icon. The use of multiple colors was meant to add the illusion of emotional warmth, and reinforce the fact that the Apple II -- Apple's first truly successful product -- was able to display color at a time when many computers still had monochrome output.

jpellino
Forum Regular
May 19, 2014, 12:44 PM

Story I heard about the logo's design after the fact was that the apple represented knowledge (biblical reference), the bite represented passion (again biblical), the rainbow meant hope (more bible) and the incorrect order of the colors = anarchy (~disruptive tech). So the logo embodied the unofficial spirit of apple - knowledge, passion, hope and anarchy.
Just sayin'

PolyEx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2014, 01:18 PM

Wow, I am afraid Americans these days see the Bible in everything. I am to understand the Apple was simply because Steve Jobs had worked in Apple orchards as a younger man and thought it was the perfect food. The bite was because they had a mock-up without the bite that did not quite look like an apple. They added the bite which looked better, and they wen't with the bite.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2014, 01:32 PM

Not to be a naysayer, but nothing on the internet backs up the biblical references with regard to the Apple logo, and every bit of information about a connection between biblical references and the Apple logo says, "No, there are none, and any biblical references to the Apple logo's creation are rumor and false."

Here's an interview with the Rob Janoff, the very individual that designed the multi-colored Apple logo:

http://creativebits.org/interview/in...ner_apple_logo

In it, he specifically rejects the idea that there were any biblical influences in the creation of the logo... not to mention that Rob Janoff is self-admittedly one of the *least* religious people you'll meet.
( Last edited by DiabloConQueso; May 19, 2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Slight mispelling of Rob's name)

jpellino
Forum Regular
May 19, 2014, 02:48 PM

I didn't invent the story, I think this was along the lines of a "backronym" where they had a chance to backfill what someone hoped it stood for.
Just sayin'

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2014, 03:18 PM

Yes, there seems to be a lot of very varied stories surrounding the Apple logo.

Unforunately, with the exception of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz, the real stories behind iconic things like the Apple logo are typically far less exciting, intricate, and interesting.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2014, 04:47 PM

Don't know about the apple itself, but as I recall, the bite was a play on words - byte.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2014, 10:59 PM

There's nothing in history, biographies, interviews, urban legend, nor Apple executive quotes to support the "bite == byte" rumor.

The logo is the logo, and there's no real hidden or deeper meaning to it, as the creator of the logo has implicitly and explicitly said and implied time and time again.

In all likelihood, the "bite" out of the Apple was nothing more than a design effort made so that the apple didn't look like a cherry.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/06/opinion/apple-logo/

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2014, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by DiabloConQueso View Post
Yes, there seems to be a lot of very varied stories surrounding the Apple logo.

Unforunately, with the exception of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz, the real stories behind iconic things like the Apple logo are typically far less exciting, intricate, and interesting.
The Floyd/Oz thing is an even more meaningless coincidence.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 20, 2014, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by PolyEx View Post
Wow, I am afraid Americans these days see the Bible in everything. I am to understand the Apple was simply because Steve Jobs had worked in Apple orchards as a younger man and thought it was the perfect food. The bite was because they had a mock-up without the bite that did not quite look like an apple. They added the bite which looked better, and they wen't with the bite.
...and Americans these days fear the Bible and discount it at every turn...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Forum Links
Forum Rules