Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 01:20 PM

Since Tiger is officially shipping and people have received it I thought it would be a good time for this. Tiger is buggy compared to 10.3.9. Very buggy. Hopefully this thread will help people decide on if to instal it or not or wait for an update.

THIS IS NOT A 3RD PARTY APP BUGLIST. Just Stuff that comes with Tiger.

Here is what I have found:

Finder:
Icon spacing is odd. Before if I had some icons on my desktop set to sort by name all was fine. With tiger some icons are actually placed at the very bottom right UNDER the dock.

"New smart folder" is not in the contextual menu even though "New Burn folder" is.

Preview:
In all other versions if I opened up a bunch of images in preview (so it shows them in a drawer) I could then move the original files to a different location in the finder. If I do this in Tiger Preview closes the window and all the images have to be re-opened in the new location.

Preview also used to let me take an image from the drawer and drag it to another folder (say on the desktop) or the desktop itself where it would make a copy of it. Now it is hit or miss. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't turning the cursor into a "no smoking sign" thing. Permissions are all correct. Also if you drag a thumbnail from the drawer to some parts of the screen it deletes the thumbnail from the drawer in a POOF but doesn't delete the file itself. Strange.

Safari RSS:
Smooth scrolling doesn't work in a RSS summary page.

Automator:
Very buggy, sometimes it does what I tell it to and sometimes it doesn't. Can't nail down why.

Dashboard:
The widgets don't update in the background so when you call it up there is a bit of a delay before the weather is updates (3 seconds or so). It also doesn't give you an indication that it is downloading new content. On older computers it takes even longer.

Stickies Widget:
No undo

Dictionary:
Can't copy any of the results

Yellow pages:
Only works for the US

Mail:
My junk mail was being flagged so inaccurately I had to reset a year of training.

From Apple:
"If, for example, your ISP uses SpamAssassin, Brightmail or another spam-analysis tool, Mail leverages that analysis. You�ll find an option for doing so in the Junk Mail preferences panel."
I can't find that option.

That is all I have found for now.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 01:45 PM

How did you install? I think that is important.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:01 PM

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the smart folder only available on the sidebar anyway?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:06 PM

New Smart Folders are created by using "Find". You want a new smart folder, press Command+F. What more do you want?

Also, yes, you can move smart folders anywhere on the system you desire, and DragThing even supports them in its Docks.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by OptimusG4
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the smart folder only available on the sidebar anyway?
Nope it can be sitting anywhere.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Nope it can be sitting anywhere.
Ah ok, my mistake.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:26 PM

I dunno, it might be good that the widgets don't update in the background. What's the point if you're not looking at them (using extra CPU and bandwidth?)?
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
I dunno, it might be good that the widgets don't update in the background. What's the point if you're not looking at them (using extra CPU and bandwidth?)?
Cuz I just tried it on my iBook and it took 13 seconds for the things to update. I could have gone to a website and looked things up faster than that.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2005, 02:33 PM

Cuz I just tried it on my iBook and it took 13 seconds for the things to update. I could have gone to a website and looked things up faster than that.
Can't they be programmed individually to auto-update (what was it lamely termed in the late '90's, Push?)?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Can't they be programmed individually to auto-update (what was it lamely termed in the late '90's, Push?)?
Oh no. Don't remind me of Pointcast.

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 02:45 PM

The degree symbol in the weather dashboard widget closes and opens when it is being updated. Takes only a couple of seconds here, and this is a G4 466, so it's most likely more a measure of internet speed.

I believe the setting you are looking for in Mail is "Trust junk mail headers set by my Internet Service Provider" under Junk Mail.

Moose
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 02:46 PM

From Apple:
"If, for example, your ISP uses SpamAssassin, Brightmail or another spam-analysis tool, Mail leverages that analysis. You�ll find an option for doing so in the Junk Mail preferences panel."
Because you weren't looking.

At the bottom.

Where it says "Trust junk mail headers set by my Internet Service Provider."

With a checkbox immediately to its left.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Moose

At the bottom.

This is also in Panther.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Moose

At the bottom.

Huh? What the heck does that have to with it? Wasn't that in 10.3?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 02:54 PM

.mac sync is not connecting to the sync server for me.....
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

bborofka
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 03:10 PM

Mail 2.0 doesn't have a status bar. This is a BIG problem. Mail 1.x always had a status bar. Safari has one. Xcode now has one. Why not Mail? When I hit "Get Mail", I can't tell if anything is happening at all. What the hell?

The no new mail sound in Mail 2.0 is also really quiet. I can barely ever hear it. Oh yeah, Toolbar looks ugly too, but that's another topic.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 03:11 PM

Archive and install here.

The two issues I've seen (and remember) so far are
1. In the Finder, renaming items in column view doesn't immediately re-alphabetize the list.
2. FUS has quite a bit more lag. It takes a couple seconds, then switches smoothly. In Pather, it would switch almost immediately, but the effect would occassionally be choppy.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 22, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by bborofka
Mail 2.0 doesn't have a status bar. This is a BIG problem. Mail 1.x always had a status bar. Safari has one. Xcode now has one. Why not Mail? When I hit "Get Mail", I can't tell if anything is happening at all. What the hell?

The no new mail sound in Mail 2.0 is also really quiet. I can barely ever hear it. Oh yeah, Toolbar looks ugly too, but that's another topic.
From what I have seen the status is told from those little dials next to your inbox name.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 03:14 PM

Well, it does show you a percentage icon on each mailbox when it's checking for mail. You can also pull up the "Activity Viewer" window if something seems wrong.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 03:20 PM

Look at the little circle next to the inbox when you hit get mail.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Moose
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 03:22 PM

Huh? What the heck does that have to with it? Wasn't that in 10.3?
Yes. It was. But its behavior has changed slightly.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 04:42 PM

Here's one I noticed:

With the Dock: When Quartz Extreme is enabled, magnification, etc. on the dock is very choppy, but when QE is disabled, it runs smoothly. Doesn't quite make sense, and it didn't do this on 10.3.9.

Just a cosmetic thing, but still annoying. Anybody else had this one?

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stratus Fear
Here's one I noticed:

With the Dock: When Quartz Extreme is enabled, magnification, etc. on the dock is very choppy, but when QE is disabled, it runs smoothly. Doesn't quite make sense, and it didn't do this on 10.3.9.

Just a cosmetic thing, but still annoying. Anybody else had this one?
Er, you mean Q2D Extreme? Enabled from Quartz Debug?

Good lord, I wish Apple had named these things better. Not only cheesy, but confusing.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 05:12 PM

My main bug: holy fuck is this thing slow! Well after the initial indexing, mdsimport periodically takes up 30% of CPU and causes massive disk thrashing. And as others pointed out, Dashboard takes 10+ seconds to initialize on my Pbook 667DVI with 768MB RAM.

Sigh... I think I'll refrain from installing it (once the DVD arrives) on my wife's iBook 600.

bpd115
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 05:20 PM

I don't know if this happened in panther but when you right click a dock icon and the contextual menu comes up, if you don't select anything and say click on finder or your open safari window, the dock stays magnified.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
My main bug: holy fuck is this thing slow! Well after the initial indexing, mdsimport periodically takes up 30% of CPU and causes massive disk thrashing. And as others pointed out, Dashboard takes 10+ seconds to initialize on my Pbook 667DVI with 768MB RAM.

Sigh... I think I'll refrain from installing it (once the DVD arrives) on my wife's iBook 600.
That sounds fishy as my Cube, 500MHz iBook and G5 are all faster for sure.

You must have something funkey running in the background.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 05:34 PM

i did a clean install, and when i moved all my old files over (traget disk mode) it didn't index any of my stuff that i moved over, in other words i could only retrieve stuff that was installed or opened after the tiger install date...no biggie, i only have a 40gb drive and my stuff is well organized.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 05:39 PM

the only bug i've found so far is that i've not yet received tiger...

my guess is there will be a fix next week...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

egg
Apr 22, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by bpd115
I don't know if this happened in panther but when you right click a dock icon and the contextual menu comes up, if you don't select anything and say click on finder or your open safari window, the dock stays magnified.
i've the same problem... plus

VPN Apani isn't working,

and what's with the thin grey line/shadow going through the menu bar, top of screen??

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by egg
i've the same problem... plus

VPN Apani isn't working,

and what's with the thin grey line/shadow going through the menu bar, top of screen??
It is supposed to give it the 3d effect. Without it it would be flat white.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

egg
Apr 22, 2005, 05:55 PM

ah! :-) but it looks different too before? no? I've forgotten 10.3 already!!

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 22, 2005, 05:55 PM

Glossy effect. But it makes no sense when the menus are pinstripe. There should be two themes and only two themes - Glossy Spotlight theme and Brushed Metal. Pinstripes and Aqua are old and ugly now.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
Glossy effect. But it makes no sense when the menus are pinstripe. There should be two themes and only two themes - Glossy Spotlight theme and Brushed Metal. Pinstripes and Aqua are old and ugly now.
I thought pinstripes ugly from day one. They were just copying the iMac at the time which was covered in it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

U n i o n 0015
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 06:12 PM

I thought pinstripes ugly from day one. They were just copying the iMac at the time which was covered in it.
I loved the pinstripes in Jaquar. It gave the titlebars depth rather than looking like the boring slabs of plain color I came experienced in Windows. (Jaguar was the first version of OS X I got to use). When they toned them down for Panther, I was actually pretty pissed because I thought it was going back to a horrible Windows-like look. But actually, making them more subtle was a fantastic idea. I don't think they should get rid of them, but if they keep them like they are it'll be perfect.

As for the glossy Finder bar...I don't mind it. It's different and sorta fresh. I just wish OS X was more customizable straight from Apple, like Windows is, and I could change to a Panther-esque Finder bar.
12" 1.5GHz Aluminum PowerBook G4
15" 1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark
Er, you mean Q2D Extreme? Enabled from Quartz Debug?

Good lord, I wish Apple had named these things better. Not only cheesy, but confusing.
No, just Quartz Extreme.

Not sure why the animation of the dock got messed up since Panther when QE is enabled...

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 08:39 PM

From Apple:
The option is found under "Junk Mail" and says "Trust junk mail headers set by my Internet Service Provider".

I got my first kernel panic with Tiger today:

Sat Apr 23 02:12:05 2005
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x000A4E68): simple lock (0x01E0091C) deadlock detection, pc=0x0002CFF4

Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace:
0x00095564 0x00095A7C 0x00026838 0x000A4E68 0x0002CFF4 0x000A4638 0x0002CEA4 0x009107F8
0x009058BC 0x002E5B98 0x002E7A64 0x0008C424 0x000291BC 0x000233A8 0x000ABBAC 0xFFA0979B
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.GeForce(4.0.0)@0x8fe000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(1.6)@0x452000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.4)@0x622000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.4)@0x646000
dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(4.0.0)@0x65c000
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x2400F280)
PC=0x9000A758; MSR=0x0000F030; DAR=0x0E784000; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x9000A69C; R1=0xF0AA4830; XCP=0x00000030 (0xC00 - System call)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.0.0: Sat Mar 26 14:15:22 PST 2005; root:xnu-792.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

I was just surfing the net with Safari, watching a trailer from Apple's website, then tried to minimize the window while the movie was playing. The machine crashed even before minimizing started and the panic window appeared.

Oh well, it might not be related with QuickTime at all, but some other background task. Still, this is the second kernel panic for me ever on this hardware, a PowerBook 12", since I got it two years ago!
[email protected]
"In the long run we're all dead" - Keynes

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by karbon
The option is found under "Junk Mail" and says "Trust junk mail headers set by my Internet Service Provider".
Ok so your ISP has to support those features than right?

If this was in 10.3 what has changed?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 09:23 PM

I wonder if its ugliness will drive me to back to Entourage or Thunderbird...

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2005, 09:44 PM

Hmm, a slower gui- now thats surprising. I am saddened that Panther was the last iteration of the first OS X. What I mean by that is that 10.0 to 10.3 apple optimized the OS to be faster on the same hardware. I feel that Tiger will break this trend with "bloat". All these new "features" add wieght to cpu to carry.

Quartz extreme 2d not enabled. That is a loss this fact evened the field for me. Now I dont have - nor tried Tiger so the above statement must be taken with a grain of salt - the proof will be in the pudding when (if) I decide to install it. But a slower gui is not surprising.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2005, 09:59 PM

Christ almighty, its another one of them 'Official' threads
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Grrr
Christ almighty, its another one of them 'Official' threads
Actually he had nothing to do with it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

bborofka
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 10:12 PM

Look at the little circle next to the inbox when you hit get mail.

I have 4 mail accounts and I keep my sub-Inboxes hidden with the triangle. I shouldn't have to expose all these inboxes just to see the spinner. The spinner doesn't even tell you what's happening either. The old Mail status bar used to tell you stuff like, "Checking Mail..." etc. WITH a spinner, but now, you get less feedback. I shouldn't have to go to the Activity View just to see what's going on. There should be a Status Bar that I can disable/enable under the View menu like so many other Apple apps.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 10:22 PM

I have 4 mail accounts and I keep my sub-Inboxes hidden with the triangle. I shouldn't have to expose all these inboxes just to see the spinner. The spinner doesn't even tell you what's happening either. The old Mail status bar used to tell you stuff like, "Checking Mail..." etc. WITH a spinner, but now, you get less feedback. I shouldn't have to go to the Activity View just to see what's going on. There should be a Status Bar that I can disable/enable under the View menu like so many other Apple apps.
I agree but I still love the new Mail app.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

timmerk
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 11:01 PM

Actually he had nothing to do with it.

LOL

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by tkmd
Hmm, a slower gui- now thats surprising. I am saddened that Panther was the last iteration of the first OS X. What I mean by that is that 10.0 to 10.3 apple optimized the OS to be faster on the same hardware. I feel that Tiger will break this trend with "bloat". All these new "features" add wieght to cpu to carry.

Quartz extreme 2d not enabled. That is a loss this fact evened the field for me. Now I dont have - nor tried Tiger so the above statement must be taken with a grain of salt - the proof will be in the pudding when (if) I decide to install it. But a slower gui is not surprising.
On my machine (see sig), the GUI overall seems at least as fast with QE enabled (except for the Dock thing I mentioned) and enabling 2d extreme helps a little more over that. Overall I'd say the GUI is a little faster than Panther. You can enable 2d extreme by installing the Xcode tools and enabling it from within a menu in the Quartz Debug app.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by tkmd

There have also been lots of reports of it being faster. I'm amazed how people latch on to the few bad reports and ignore the rest. Tiger is definitely more optimized, but we'll have to see when it's canceled out by other stuff and when it isn't. Note that some people report 10.3 as being slower than 10.2 on their machines.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 12:25 AM

I've installed it on two machines: a MDD dual 867 and an 800MHz G3 iBook. Tiger definitely feels faster on both machines, though the difference is more noticeable on the G4.

To the people complaining about Mail 2.0, have you actually used it, or are you just guessing?

NeilCharter
Senior User
Apr 23, 2005, 12:32 AM

I've got a bug: prats who start a buglist when the OS isn't even released yet.

Stop whining and use the sodding thing for a while. Each OS iteration brings new ways of working that takes getting used to.

I can categorically say that Tiger is significantly faster in many respects to Panther. Relax - give the new OS a chance before condemning it.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by NeilCharter
I've got a bug: prats who start a buglist when the OS isn't even released yet.
Shut your pie hole. I said NOW THAT THE OS HAS SHIPPED TO SOME PEOPLE.

Geez

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 02:35 AM

Spotlight is slow and it doesn't remember frequently accessed files. Launchbar, Butler, and Quicksilver completely destroy Spotlight when it comes to speed. What a lot of crap Steve Jobs was spouting about the blazing speed of Spotlight (Slowpoke would be more accurate).

The Finder still sucks at previewing AVIs. What have Apple's software engineers been doing all this time? Oh, right, they've been making Dashboard widgets.

Safari and Mail are fast. Safari's RSS is decent.

GUI looks nice. Finder seems faster at basic navigation.

Managed to get MSN Messenger support in iChat via Jabber. I'm meh about Dashboard.
( Last edited by Spliff; Apr 23, 2005 at 02:47 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules