Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What happened to Logitech?

What happened to Logitech?
jeff k
Mac Elite
May 2, 2011, 08:29 PM

This company used to make great mouses. I just ordered the new version of my MX500 (has new number now) and the software does not have Mac on it.
I called them up and they are staffed by imbeciles who know nothing of their products. nothing.
Why would they go from Mac/Windows to Windows only? Isn't Apple more popular now? Frustrated.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2011, 08:42 PM

All you should need is the Logitech Control Center software.
MX™ 620 Cordless Laser Mouse

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2011, 08:56 PM

thanks AK
I got the new MX 518, will that work for that one? Why is it not on the CD? Why can't different guys at Logitech mention what you just mentioned? the ignorance there is just staggering! How/ why do they get paid?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2011, 09:36 PM

You don't actually have to use the software that comes with those mice. I just run mine with no drivers, and assign the extra buttons to Exposé functions.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2011, 11:05 PM

Charles, what does that mean? You lost me there.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2011, 11:21 PM

If you want to use Exposé (look at it in system prefs if you're not familiar with it) for the extra buttons you don't need any software at all. Left click and right click should also work right out of the box. BUT if you want full control over all the buttons, grab the Logitech software.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2011, 12:42 AM

A
I put in the control center on my laptop, but when I plug in the new mouse, no device is found. When I plug in the old MX 500 it sees it right away? any ideas on that?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2011, 01:08 AM

Huh.. Well the MX 518 is listed on Logitech's site as windows only, but since it's USB I can't imagine why at least the left and right click and the mouse as a pointer wouldn't work fine...

They have 12 mice listed as mac compatible. Maybe just go with one of those and return that one?

reader50
Administrator
May 3, 2011, 01:29 AM

I've been using the MX-518 for several years. Usually without the Logitech drivers. All buttons work under 10.4 and 10.5 - can't test 10.6

P
May 3, 2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
A
I put in the control center on my laptop, but when I plug in the new mouse, no device is found. When I plug in the old MX 500 it sees it right away? any ideas on that?
My guess is that your new mouse is broken. Does it work if you plug it into a Windows machine?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ibook_steve
May 3, 2011, 01:16 PM

There is no such thing as a Windows-only mouse. And who actually installs software off the CD? You should always get the latest from the web site.

In any case, with the Logitech mice, you may need to run the Logitech LCC Connection Utility, which is in the Utilities folder when you install LCC. I thought I had a broken Logitech mouse a few years ago until I realized that this app walks you through the steps of making the connection.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2011, 01:27 PM

Your last best bet is USB Overdrive. It's only $20. It gives you complete control over pretty much any USB input device.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2011, 02:25 PM

Thanks everyone, appreciate this.
Ok A & P -- the 518 is working. Works fine, scrolls, clicks etc, but I really want it to be seen in the Control Center so I can assign it to launch application to it's 4-5 buttons, That's why I bought it.

When I plug it into either my desktop which is Leopard, or my Laptop which is snow leopard , the Logitech Control center says, no device found.
Both, however find my old mx500 no problem.

Steve, can you send the link to the LCC Connection Utility. You think this will solve the issue of it not being recognized.

Thanks ol P. I ask you about usb overdrive that if Steve's idea does not work.

I really want to use the 518 and be recognized as I'm so used to and happy with the MX500 it's predecessor which is not made anymore. thanks for help!

MacAssemble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2011, 03:31 PM

It's true Logitech has all but given up on the Mac, I had their new wired Back-lit keyboard for a week or two and returned it. I am however very happy with Microsoft Keyboards and Mice, they come with Mac drivers right on the disk and work very well.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2011, 03:34 PM

Logitech ceased the development of Mac only hardware months ago, so I was told by some guy working at Logitech.

Anyhow, you can download the LCC software via FTP from Logitech servers.
ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/mouse/mac

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2011, 04:31 PM

Logitech is making big money in the remote business.
45/47

ibook_steve
May 3, 2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone, appreciate this.
Ok A & P -- the 518 is working. Works fine, scrolls, clicks etc, but I really want it to be seen in the Control Center so I can assign it to launch application to it's 4-5 buttons, That's why I bought it.

When I plug it into either my desktop which is Leopard, or my Laptop which is snow leopard , the Logitech Control center says, no device found.
Both, however find my old mx500 no problem.

Steve, can you send the link to the LCC Connection Utility. You think this will solve the issue of it not being recognized.

Thanks ol P. I ask you about usb overdrive that if Steve's idea does not work.

I really want to use the 518 and be recognized as I'm so used to and happy with the MX500 it's predecessor which is not made anymore. thanks for help!
As I said, it's installed along with LCC in the Utilities folder.

Steve

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Logitech ceased the development of Mac only hardware months ago, so I was told by some guy working at Logitech.
How does it make sense to make a Mac-only mouse anyway? USB is USB.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cgc
Professional Poster
May 3, 2011, 06:48 PM

I've been using my Logitech laser mouse for a few years with no drivers and it works great. No need for drivers really unless you want to change the horizontal scroll but for that you could use SteerMouse (or LCC).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
There is no such thing as a Windows-only mouse.
Yes, there are, they have (had) PS2 connectors.

-t

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2011, 08:49 PM

Steve,
Ok, found it in utilites but when I double click it it says,"Please connect your Logitech Cordless Mouse"
But the 518 is a corded mouse.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yes, there are, they have (had) PS2 connectors.

-t
Not so, my old PowerComputing clone had a PS/2 port on it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
How does it make sense to make a Mac-only mouse anyway? USB is USB.
Keyboards on the other way… hence I did mention hardware.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Not so, my old PowerComputing clone had a PS/2 port on it.
Does a clone qualify as a Mac ?

-t

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2011, 01:15 PM

thanks for the side discussion guys, but if you can help -- I'm still stuck! see my last post.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Does a clone qualify as a Mac ?

-t
Well, it definitely wasn't running Windows.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 01:36 PM

thanks for the side discussion guys, but if you can help -- I'm still stuck! see my last post.
As someone mentioned earlier, USB Overdrive is a great solution. It's a universal driver that can be used to assign shortcuts to buttons on just about any USB device, including your mouse. As a side bonus, it's probably less likely to cause problems than Logitech's often problematic Mac drivers.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 01:52 PM

Yes, USB Overdrive is the solution.

Sure there are other options, but you should go ahead and try USBO, since it will do the job for sure.

-t

ibook_steve
May 4, 2011, 01:54 PM

Steve,
Ok, found it in utilites but when I double click it it says,"Please connect your Logitech Cordless Mouse"
But the 518 is a corded mouse.
You didn't mention this was a corded mouse. The connection utility is only for wireless mice.

If you have LCC installed and it doesn't see the mouse, then there is something wrong with the mouse. Return it.

Steve

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2011, 03:23 PM

Steve,
you lost me. Yes this is a corded mouse.

"The connection utility is only for wireless mice."
But then you say,
"If you have LCC installed and it doesn't see the mouse, then there is something wrong with the mouse. Return it."
But you know it's a corded mouse.

But the mouse works, it clicks it scrolls, etc, it's just not seen/recognized by the control center.

Anyway to get the new mouse to be recognized? the old mouse is recognized.

This is what I would prefer, Turtle, Charles. Steve -- the control center is geared toward assigning all buttons on the mouse. It has always been very reliable with the old mx 500

USB overdrive I will try as last resort.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 03:26 PM

This is what I would prefer, Turtle, Charles. Steve -- the control center is geared toward assigning all buttons on the mouse. It has always been very reliable with the old mx 500

What is your second-last resort ?

At this point, you have two options:
1) return the mouse, maybe something *is* wrong with it
2) Try USBO

-t

ibook_steve
May 4, 2011, 03:45 PM

Steve,
you lost me. Yes this is a corded mouse.

"The connection utility is only for wireless mice."
But then you say,
"If you have LCC installed and it doesn't see the mouse, then there is something wrong with the mouse. Return it."
But you know it's a corded mouse.

But the mouse works, it clicks it scrolls, etc, it's just not seen/recognized by the control center.

Anyway to get the new mouse to be recognized? the old mouse is recognized.

No, I did not know the 518 was a corded mouse because you never said in any of your posts that it was a corded mouse. But my response still stands. If LCC doesn't recognize the mouse even after you've installed and reinstalled the latest software and repeatedly plugged and unplugged it (along with other USB devices you have connected), something is defective with the mouse. Return or exchange it.

Steve

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 04:15 PM

... or just try USB Overdrive, which I believe has an unregistered evaluation mode.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2011, 04:17 PM

Everything I read about the MX518 says windows only. We can argue till we're blue in the face if this is true or not (or if there is a valid reason it should be true), but facts are facts.

What I'm saying is that the Logitech software is not going to work with it (as jeff has discovered) and the only option is a different mouse, or USB Overdrive.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2011, 04:21 PM

Also, take a look at Steer Mouse. The Logitech MX518 is listed as recommended mouse. I used to run Steer Mouse with my MX Revolution and liked it more than USB Overdrive X. It wasn't until I got the diNovo Mac keyboard than I went back to Logitech software.

AFAIK, those softwares are incompatible with each other, you can't run nor have installed more than one at once. So, you should uninstall the Logitech software in before of installing either USB Overdrive X or Steer Mouse.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2011, 07:46 PM

Ok, I'll try Steer Mouse, based on Angel's advice. Crazy I have to pay $20 more bucks, the mouse I think was just $40 or so!

But we agree my mouse is ok, right? if it's clicking fine, in a general sense, it's just not meant to work with Mac Logitech contraol panel. -- period correct?

But then help me understand this:

5 years ago, my mx 500 came with a CD with Mac software on it.

Apple sales have (from what I've heard on the news), done much better in the last five years not worse.

And so now Logitech is making the same mouse windows only?

Can someone help me understand that??

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 08:33 PM

I'd bet money that your mouse is fine. Logitech's software just sucks. It's always sucked, though. You generally don't want to have it installed, anyway — it tends to use unsupported hack interfaces such as Application Enhancer or fake InputManagers instead of a proper driver. I still remember the fiasco when the Logitech drivers rendered Leopard unbootable by installing APE.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2011, 11:36 PM

Ok, Steer Mouse seems to work. but I would love to know why they go Window now, when Apple has skyroacketed, bizarre no?

Final: the middle scroll wheel on the 518 feels horrible compared to the old mx 500. It's not fluid. Its cranky and slow. Anything I can do?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 11:54 PM

Final: the middle scroll wheel on the 518 feels horrible compared to the old mx 500. It's not fluid. Its cranky and slow. Anything I can do?
Add some WD40.

-t

reader50
Administrator
May 5, 2011, 12:55 AM

The wheel will loosen up a bit with use. Your 500 wheel was probably stiffer in the beginning too.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2011, 02:47 AM

I would love to know why they go Window now, when Apple has skyroacketed, bizarre no?
There were several posts regarding this at Logitech boards. Nothing clear came out of it besides the fact that Logitech had discontinued development of Mac-specific keyboards; either those didn't sell well or it just was some cost-cut measure.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2011, 01:10 PM

Angel, this is a mouse, it it that much harder for them to have the Mac control center provided with purchase? leaving out millions of Apple users.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 02:25 AM

I know, it is just like a snowball going downhill, first the 'most obvious' cost-cut measure, ditching the Mac-only keyboards, then what the heck, stop providing Mac bundled drivers as well.

Such a disappointment, its new Windows-only K800 illuminated keyboard is top-notch.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 11:47 AM

Yeah. It must cost like .0003 cents to screen an Apple logo instead of a Windows logo on one of the keys. Every millionth of a penny helps.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2011, 02:36 PM

What I don't get is this guys:
6 years ago Apple was kind of struggling.
Now its booming like heck.
You would think they might drop windows users?
Do they watch the news?
Their customer service is horrible. If you can get through, they are total imbeciles.
Yes I agree, they make great products.
But seems beyond the people who make them, it's a disaster over there in every other way.

-Q-
May 6, 2011, 02:52 PM

You're assuming their Windows software is better than their mac. In my experience, they just make crappy input software as a whole and it's not a "against mac" thing.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2011, 04:32 PM

Ok, but the implication is, when I call them, that their products are not for Mac.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 04:35 PM

What I don't get is this guys:
6 years ago Apple was kind of struggling.
Now its booming like heck.
That's not the question, though. The question is: Are Mac users buying Logitech keyboards?

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2011, 10:38 PM

Charles,
why wouldn't they?
And if they are not why not market to them?
This is not a fringe group.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 10:08 AM

Charles,
why wouldn't they?
And if they are not why not market to them?
This is not a fringe group.
I really doubt that Mac users are such a big group of buyers.

Macs come with keyboards and built-in isights. That rules out a lot of their products.
In terms of mice, Macs come with mice by default, and now you can chose between a mouse and a MagicPad.

Only few Mac users will buy another mouse.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules