Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Intel aiming squarely at new Macbook deisgns with ATOM????

Intel aiming squarely at new Macbook deisgns with ATOM????
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2012, 02:15 PM

Intel's 22nm Valley View Atom SoC leaks out, may have Ivy Bridge graphics for 4x performance | The Verge

Ivybridge graphics in a fanless CPU

Could Tim Cook take them seriously? Only if they want to offer a iPad sized laptop, IMO.

P
Mar 25, 2012, 02:28 PM

Ivy Bridge graphics doesn't mean a lot without the variant or the clockspeed, but even if they're the full quality (GT2) graphics at 1300 MHz, I don't think Apple will pick it for the MBA. AMD Llano is more likely, or even an upgraded Bobcat.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
AMD Llano is more likely, or even an upgraded Bobcat.
Lolano. Oh that one flopped.

P
Mar 26, 2012, 03:22 AM

Yes it did, but even that would be better than an Atom - and I should probably say Trinity if we're talking about future chips anyway.

It goes without saying that the most likely answer by far is the boring one - ULV Ivy Bridge.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2012, 05:36 PM

With rumors that the next MacBook will drop 20% in price wafting in the air, if true, what would be the component that gets the cheapening? CPU, GPU, wireless, case, storage, ram, battery?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 9, 2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
With rumors that the next MacBook will drop 20% in price wafting in the air, if true, what would be the component that gets the cheapening? CPU, GPU, wireless, case, storage, ram, battery?
I would guess CPU by moving to ULV. The upper end end with real GPUs have no room to downgrade anyway (IMO).

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2012, 09:53 PM

Atom is still too slow. Not interested.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2012, 11:15 PM

The atom of yesteryear is not the same atom of nowayears. With similar clockspeed but with dramatically higher bandwidth and graphics, it is nothing to sneeze at.

P
May 10, 2012, 03:37 AM

CPU/GPU first, possibly followed by the display, but Apple has a LONG way to drop in the Intel price list before it gets to Atom. Right now they're shipping nothing cheaper than an i5. There are cheaper i3, Pentium and Celeron models.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2012, 10:13 AM

The atom of yesteryear is not the same atom of nowayears. With similar clockspeed but with dramatically higher bandwidth and graphics, it is nothing to sneeze at.
It's still way too slow for a real laptop.

IMO, while the graphics boost is welcome, the chips are in far more need of a CPU boost. The CPU performance of even the fast dual core Atom chips is just way, way, way too slow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules