Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 2015 Mustang

2015 Mustang
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 17, 2014, 09:48 AM

I'm in Detroit for the week and managed to spot a 2015 Mustang in the wild.

The 2015 Mustang configurator is online now. You can get the 2.3 EcoBoost with a 6 speed, the EcoBoost performance pack (springs, big brakes, sway bars, special traction control, etc.), and Recaro seats for under $30,000. A simple aftermarket tune would put that engine at about 340hp and 400tq, and at 200lbs less than the GT, it'd certainly be right on the GT's heels and potentially better-handling.

What do you think? Has the Mustang finally entered this century?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2014, 02:23 PM

The IRS upgrade is a god-send, it's about time. I like the lines too, looks like an Aston from some angles. Wait a few months and there will be body kits to make one look almost like a V8 Vantage. Yes, the EcoBoost 4 is the easy choice for those who don't mind a little tuning, several companies are touting 100-150hp gains with minimal changes in plumbing, if any. I just wish they'd revived the SVO badge instead.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2014, 06:19 PM

Shouldn't anything car related with the word "Eco" in it be sucky?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2014, 06:37 PM

Ecoboost is Ford's clever way of rebranding the turbocharger.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2014, 06:46 PM

Is there something "Eco" about it?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2014, 06:50 PM

Turbos have always been a good way to deliver performance with efficiency. Smaller engine equals better mileage under normal driving conditions and the turbo gives you the needed boost (har har) when your foot goes down. I'm sure modern systems greatly overshadow older turbocharged vehicles, but the idea is basically unchanged.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2014, 06:53 PM

Makes sense.

I'm technical, but with cars it's limited to "turn key, it moves".

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 18, 2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
several companies are touting 100-150hp gains with minimal changes in plumbing, if any.
Which companies?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Ecoboost is Ford's clever way of rebranding the turbocharger.
This is exactly right, and in most cases, it's Ford's way of getting better EPA numbers, while not actually providing better real world numbers.

The Ecoboost as a performance engine is awesome; the 3.5 in the F150, Taurus, Flex, and Explorer is awesome, as are the 1.6 in the Fiesta ST and 2.0 in the Focus ST. But whenever the 2.0 is used for economy rather than performance, it suffers. The 2.0 in the Explorer is dog-slow, and in the Taurus and Edge the real world numbers aren't much better than the V6, especially considering the added cost of recommended premium fuel, and the added complication and failure points associated with a turbocharger.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2014, 04:29 PM

They just aren't as pretty as the late 60s models.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Which companies?
Hennessey, for one, though I wouldn't do business with them if they paid me, and Brenspeed and Steeda have both stated they are both already working up flash tunes. It won't be hard to find a half dozen more by the time SEMA rolls around in Nov.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2014, 05:00 PM

Which of them released the numbers you quoted earlier?

Thorzdad
Jun 18, 2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
..."turn key, it moves".
You've never owned a Volkswagen, apparently.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Which of them released the numbers you quoted earlier?
They all will, send them an email request for information, I'm on their email lists.
- Thomas Paine

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2014, 09:23 AM

Nice to see Ford is bringing it to Europe. I can't believe Ford's sticker price for the car is a mere 17400€ on American soil. That doesn’t even get you a Golf 1.2 TSI this side of the pond. I guess it'll be at least in the 40’s (euros) so people here will keep buying crap-wagens because they have to, not because they want to.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
They just aren't as pretty as the late 60s models.
Those got a bit bloated. I like the 64-66 the most.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2014, 02:18 PM

They all will, send them an email request for information, I'm on their email lists.
Mind quoting the emails they sent out? I haven't seen numbers posted anywhere on the internet, so I'm interested to see what exactly they said.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2014, 03:36 PM

several companies are touting 100-150hp gains with minimal changes in plumbing,
Hennessey, for one, though I wouldn't do business with them if they paid me, and Brenspeed and Steeda have both stated they are both already working up flash tunes. It won't be hard to find a half dozen more by the time SEMA rolls around in Nov.
I checked.

Originally Posted by Steeda
HI [Laminar],

We do not have any public information currently on the 2015 Mustang. Thank you for your interest in the Steeda brand!

Thank You,
Larry Ward
Webmaster
Extension 1101
---
Steeda Autosports, Inc
Mustang Parts & Performance - Free Shipping - Steeda Autosports - Free Shipping!
1-800-950-0774
Originally Posted by Hennessey
Dear [Laminar],

Thanks for your interest in Hennessey Performance! I don't yet have any upgrade package planned for the Ecoboost Mustangs, but if we do decide to work on the Ecoboost cars I'll let you know!

If you have any other questions, please let me know by email, or feel free to call me directly at 713-650-5360.

Best Regards,
Chris Hansen
Hennessey Performance
High Performance Sales
Hmmm, you must have received those numbers from Brenspeed, as they're the only ones that haven't gotten back to me yet. Weird that you'd say Steeda is working on something when they don't have any public information, and even weirder that you've seen info from Hennessey when they don't even have any upgrades planned.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2014, 07:50 PM

Nice work Laminar..I also enjoy your build threads, you are one talented dude...but calling this fraud out....priceless!!! Keep up the good work!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
Nice work Laminar..I also enjoy your build threads, you are one talented dude...but calling this fraud out....priceless!!! Keep up the good work!
"Fraud"? Because they won't yet officially reveal info about future projects to Laminar? I don't know why they're not talking more publically, maybe they're being closed-lipped about proprietary tech before SEMA? You guys need to get out more.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2014, 01:05 PM

Sorry, I never said anything about fraud, so don't ascribe his words to me. I'm just interested in seeing the email you got from Brenspeed listing actual horsepower figures (and also wondering how you got inside info from a company's mailing list).

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2014, 01:16 PM

It's always about who you know.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2014, 02:07 PM

I'm on their email lists.
Frankly, I'm expecting the normal backpedal to "nvm you guys i have inside info, sucks to be you guys"

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2014, 05:52 PM

He's on a special email list for cool people only, sorry Lam.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2014, 01:10 PM

DAMN. Foiled again by my own poverty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules