Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NBA Finals

NBA Finals
misc
Jun 6, 2001, 10:00 PM

Sooo, Who do you think is going to win?

The Lakers (boooooo)
or
The Sixers (OHHHH YEEEEEEAH)

If you couldn't tell, i vote for the umm.. Sixers

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

capone
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2001, 10:32 PM

I wanted the bucks to go, but thats out.

I want the lakers to win, jusk because iverson is a c0ck suck.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: capone ]

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2001, 10:32 PM

The advertisers!
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

jeffhot
Senior User
Jun 6, 2001, 10:33 PM

At the half Sixers by 6! Hey that's cool. I didn't expect them to have a chance. I still don't to be honest. I just hope they play really well and win one game. Or at least make LA play awesome to sweep.

Tonight is probably there best chance, but I think LA will have their act together for the second half. Oh we;;, maybe I'll be wrong (not likely).

pml589
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 12:00 AM

i am definitely all for the sixers...i just think that the lakers are too much hype (though they are awesome) and they are too, i dunno how to say it, "hollywood."they are too much glamour and too little basketball....argue if u want
-=P-Lo=-

AMDG
http://www.cnnpromos.com/supercrew/feature.htm

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2001, 01:26 AM

You gotta admit the Sixers have guts. I couldn't believe the comeback in overtime! I'd like the Sixers to win it all, but I think the Lakers will win the series. There's just too many of them who are constant scoring threats and only a couple of Sixers in that category.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

groverat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 02:32 AM

That was one of the most exciting games in the last few years!
Go Sixers!

Iverson: 48
Bryant: 15

There were questions, and guess who Answered.

The Lakers will win the series, but that's because Shaquille O'Neal is the most dominant player in the NBA. He is a monster of a human being and is virtually unstoppable, even though Mutombo plays him well.

Iverson won't be stopped unless Bryant steps up and pulls out some magic. Kobe got punked all day (7-22) and was a non-factor, he has got to make himself known or his Lakers will go straight down the tubes. Rick Fox can whine and Robert Horry can lash out violently, but that doesn't win championships. Shaq will score 40 per game and dominate the low post but that won't win them the championship either.
Kobe Bryant has got to show up to the court for the game and he got shut down by the Philly D.

My prediction: The Lakers win the next two, Philly gets one at home and L.A. takes the last two. Lakers 4-2.
My hope: Sixers take it in game 7 on an Iverson three.

Get ready for a series! Iverson will sit down for no one!
Long live the AppleInsider forums!

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2001, 02:36 AM

i dunno what bryant was doing on the court. he had no offense and no defense. i put the blame on him for this one. but i think the lakers will step it up next game. theyve had so much time off and sixers are just working off momentum i think. im a lakers fan tho...but good basketball is more important to me than any one team winning.

artman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 03:31 PM

Win or lose the Sixers have won my heart and every Philadelphian's heart! My prediction is that we'll lose the next game in L.A. and then bring it on home for the championship! GO SIXERS!

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 7, 2001, 04:15 PM

DOWN with the Lakers , Lakers Suck aaaaaaaaaaa. I believe they aquired their players illegally ( they are way over the salary cap) And they punished the Minnesota timberwolves for salary cap violation????
That was a great game last night the sixers showed some heart and the ruined the lakers sweep streak. Now if only they could pull off ONE MORE WIN.... Sixer fans you gotta believe. Just ONE MORE WIN for philly and the Lakers are through. There are alot of egos in LA and it wont be long before they start playing selfish and start blaming each other. ONE MORE WIN will expose the lakers' weakness. ONE MORE WIN ONE MORE WIN baby please give the sixers ONE MORE WIN.... btw I am a diehard New Jersey Nets fan and I am not ashamed to admit it.
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Jun 7, 2001, 05:16 PM

I'm all for the Sixers. East coast thing.
Plus, I'm sick of Phil Jackson, even if he did play for the Knicks...

gritty win for Philly. the Lakers had been playing well lately , but to predict a sweep? Of a Philly team that won 56 games, despite losing Ratliff for awhile before dealing for Motumbo?

The Lakers were really streaking lately, but they have an ugly side that can surface . All playoffs long it's been all about how they've come together, matured, blah blah blah but another loss and you could see them unravel, with Kobe firing from all over and Shaq telling teammates to keep it out of Bryant's hands. Only 10 weeks ago that was par for the course. How quickly we forget.....

misc  (op)
Jun 7, 2001, 06:05 PM

I'll call it now... If the sixers win again tomorrow (Friday), the sixers will sweep!

I'm callin' it!

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2001, 06:45 PM

bah...lakers will take the finals. i dunno how many itll take them but they will take it. im guessing in 6. lakers just came back from a break that was too long. they did all their winning too fast. this loss was a good kick in the butt for them and now its time for them to really play. theyll do to the sixers what they did to the spurs as shown by this picture:

What the Lakers did to the Spurs.

jagga
Senior User
Jun 7, 2001, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by fobside:
<STRONG>
What the Lakers did to the Spurs.</STRONG>
ahh, so thats what happened to the Spurs.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2001, 07:25 PM

looking at this thread it looks like im the only one really cheering for the lakers. capone is...but only because he hates iverson. i personally like iverson but i like the lakers more. go lakers!

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 8, 2001, 05:21 PM

nice to see some sports fans here.
had to bring this back up, big game tonight.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 05:37 PM

i wont be able to watch the game because of other commitments but my heart is with the lakers. its time to win. at the same time i hope iverson gets his...but the sixers lose.

poocat
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2001, 01:56 AM

i wish the sixers would win... i'm all about grit & heart vs. talent/money/popularity.

go iverson go.

but i bet it's the lakers in six games (4-2).

oh well.
it should be fun to watch.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2001, 03:08 AM

so its 1-1 now in the series. i didnt get to watch but i heard it was close even tho the final score says otherwise. anyone want to update me on highlights?

jagga
Senior User
Jun 9, 2001, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by fobside:
<STRONG>so its 1-1 now in the series. i didnt get to watch but i heard it was close even tho the final score says otherwise. anyone want to update me on highlights?</STRONG>
That game almost gave me a heart attack (being a Lakers Fan). Lakers are up by 13 with about 8 minutes left in game. Shaq picks up his 5th foul and goes to the bench. Philly cuts the lead to 3 with about 2 minutes left. Derek Fisher hits a big three and makes it a 6 pt game. Then Harper comes in and hits a two and now its 8 pt game.

Philly misses 10 Fts in the 4th qtr!!. That realy really saved the lakers. Kobe picked up 3 fouls in less than a minutes.

Very exciting game; but lakers win 98 to 89. GO LAKERS!!

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 9, 2001, 01:36 PM

It looks like its going to be a dogfight ( 7 games) I hope. Expect a predictable late hit/ cheap shot/ personal foul/ cat fight from shaquille O'Neal. (un sportsmanlike conduct) {shaq does not respond well to a challenge}
First Mutombo must challenge.
I like this thread. I hope it lasts through the series.
Note to laker fans: are you real fans? or just band wagon fans? what about your clippers? ( i like the two rookies)

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jun 9, 2001, 02:15 PM

I wanted the Bucks to beat the Sixers because I'm a big Ray Allen fan. I knew that Allen would go to the NBA and do well there the first time I saw him playing for UConn. Well, I was right about Allen but wrong about the Bucks. Since that didn't pan out I'm now rooting for the Sixers. Iverson is the man.

I remember when Iverson first came up and he shot his mouth off about Jordan and Barkley. At first that put me off a little but then I realized that it was just his competitive instinct that was showing. What's more he backed up his trash talk with a whole lotta game. Go Sixers.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2001, 02:23 PM

shaq being unsportsmanlike? i think the complete opposite actually. do you know how much he gets beaten up in the center? the only way to stop him from going up is to wrap around him. that seriously messes up your abdominal muscles when youre jumping up but someones pulling you down. i think shaq takes a lot just because hes the big man there.

i heard that 3 by fisher was the big turnaround in the game. oh well...still a battle. go lakers!

i also heard if you watched the game you could hear kobe and iverson trash talking the whole time.

im a real lakers fan. i will cheer for my lakers even when they suck. i will be realistic tho. i will not expect them to win all the time. clippers...i dont like them that much, not just cuz they suck. they just got kinda fun to watch and next year, my guess is theyll be boring to watch all over again.

WillyB
Jun 9, 2001, 09:44 PM

I think game 2 would have been for the Sixers, had they scored on their foul shots in the 4th. Lakers just looked like panic was setting in. I agree that AI is a cocky jerk, but I still admire that man's 3 pointers! Go Philly!
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2001, 11:38 PM

who saw the game? there soooooooo many bad calls that game both ways but there were so many more bad calls going to the sixers way. regardless of that...WHAT A GAME! that was intense. i think the most shocking thing was robert horry won the game for the lakers! a guy who is shooting 44% free throws in the playoffs hits a 3-pointer then sinks 4 in a row at the line! i just dont get it. that guys clutch but thats about it. normally he wont do anything.

GO LAKERS!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2001, 07:29 AM

Go Lakers! Heia Lakers! �fram Lakers! Heja Lakers!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

jagga
Senior User
Jun 11, 2001, 10:35 AM

When was the last time you saw Shaq get called for 4 offensive fouls in a game?
The officiating was horrible. But Lakers played through it. You gotta love horry. Did you see that one Dunk he had in the 4th qtr over Mutombo? That was awesome

Anytime you get 15pts on 5 shots, its all good

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 11, 2001, 09:16 PM

slow sucks...... I would reply but this really suckss. on the other hand Shaq is a big baby he hacks/ abuses his power. remember his cheap shots on Ostertag, Chris Dudley. Chris Mullen waaaaa stop crying punk<font color = red> Or do you want Charles Barkley to come out of retirement and wup that a$$$$$ </font>remember that, ha hashaq started that and charles was not going to back down from that punk btw remember when Olajuwan beat him for the title a few years back, hakeem beat shaq so bad shaq challenged him to a fist fight. Waaaaaaa
I would reply to hear your thoughts on shaq. but it took me all day to post this

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2001, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by mikithecrackhead:
<STRONG>on the other hand Shaq is a big baby he hacks/ abuses his power</STRONG>
how is it shaqs fault that hes bigger than most of the guys out there? he leans in and someone just goes flying. tell the other centers to gain some weight and stand their ground. fouls 3, 4, and 5 were bull$h!t on shaq in game 3.

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 13, 2001, 09:57 AM

big game tonight.
shaq is just too big. To put into perspective its like an adults playing against first or second graders. adults don't just knock the kids on their a$$ because they are bigger. The goal is to score. Its basketball not sumo wrestling.
anyways ,
its been a good series so far I hope it goes like this throughout

muchfresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2001, 10:50 AM

shaq the most boring player in the NBA. Backing your fat ass into the opposition does not an exciting game make. Shaq fouls on almost every play. If your not fast eneogh to get inside, too bad your just going to have to shoot from the outside.
'Satisfy the urge and discover the need' Q-Tip

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2001, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by muchfresh:
<STRONG>shaq the most boring player in the NBA. Backing your fat ass into the opposition does not an exciting game make. Shaq fouls on almost every play. If your not fast eneogh to get inside, too bad your just going to have to shoot from the outside.</STRONG>
what are you talking about? shaq is so quick for a guy his size. hes not fast, meaning hes not going to beat you off the dribble coast to coast but name me anyone near his size thats as fast as him? sabonis? vlade? dikembo? all slow compared to shaq. his first step is fast.

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2001, 10:11 PM

The Sixers already look beat and it's not even halftime.
I kinda' wish that the Lakers would bring it home to win the series, but it looks like they'll finish it up in Philly.

tg-007
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 10:33 PM

GOOOOOOOOO LAKERS!!!!
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

iBook 500/ 320 RAM/ 10GB HD/ Airport (coolest. laptop. ever.)

QuickSilver G4 867/ 640 RAM/ 60GB HD/ GeForce 3/ SuperDrive/ Airport/ SoundSticks/ 15" Apple Studio Display

Toshiba Satellite - 900Mhz PIII/ 256 RAM/ 20GB HD/ GeForce2 Go 16MB DDR/ DVD/ Win2k

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 13, 2001, 11:02 PM

when you have a team that is millions over the salary cap. there will never be a team that can challenge them. Oh wait minnesota tried that and they were penalized. So why is LA allowed to get away with it?
O well, congrats to the laker on their title. They bought their way to the title.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2001, 05:20 AM

<STRONG>when you have a team that is millions over the salary cap. there will never be a team that can challenge them. Oh wait minnesota tried that and they were penalized. So why is LA allowed to get away with it?
O well, congrats to the laker on their title. They bought their way to the title. </STRONG>
millions over the salary cap...thats an interesting comment. so could you please show us this salary roster that you seem to have? (sorry if that sounds a little biting but that idea seems ridiculous to me) NBA teams are regulated. theyre not allowed to go over the salary cap! some players are just being payed a lot less than they probably should be to be on the team. if you want to see a team that should be way over the salary cap if the players were paid what theyre worth...look at the blazers! they cant even win either!

salary caps aside...lakers kicked @$$ today on the floor. kobe did start waivering in the middle of the 4th quarter. my guess is he was trying to lose the game so he could keep his promise and bring the championship back to los angeles! haha!

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 15, 2001, 12:09 AM

man the forums are still slow
Lakers aquired shaq illegally. That is why the magic sued tthem. but money makes David stern turn the other way. speaking of team that are over the salary cap err. portland trailblazers at least they are good. Look at the other violator... New York knicks ha ha. they suck chris dudley and kurt thomas are multi millionaires. can you name anyone worse (in their position)???Lakers broke the rules when they aquired shaq. They broke it again when they got Glen rice. he's gone now. ( coach jackson does not count against the cap) they have million dollar contracts with Horry (done after this year.) But anyways The lakers have this series and they over spent their money correct. Which you can't say the same for portland or new york!!!

iBabo
Senior User
Jun 15, 2001, 01:40 AM

have any of you seen the Apple posters hanging outside of the staples center?..the new ones are really cool, its like Lakers legends..and shaq..all black and white with apple logo and think different written on them.

is it just me or does Horry look like will smith?
anyways..lakers are the best....and my guess is that not only will they win this series...but theyll go on to be the NeXT bulls.....its kinda like how apple is the old NeXT....apple has steve jobs, and Avie tevanian...lakers have phil jackson, and ron harper.
anyways... lakrs wil delibratly lose the next game to win it in LA...
thefunny thing is if lakers win the series there will be a riot..if they lose there will still be a riot...so im just waiting for the riot..
smile like you mean it.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2001, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by iBabo:
<STRONG>is it just me or does Horry look like will smith?</STRONG>
yes, yes he does. ron harper looks like little uncle phil. aaron mckie looks like geoffrey the butler. you got half the cast right there. bonsi wells looks like a ninja turtle especially since his head is shaved and kind of round and hes got the head band.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2001, 02:19 AM

<STRONG>when you have a team that is millions over the salary cap. there will never be a team that can challenge them. Oh wait minnesota tried that and they were penalized. So why is LA allowed to get away with it?</STRONG>
The Timberwolves got caught because they were stupid enough to put the arrangement with Joe Smith in writing. Everywhere else it's strictly under the table.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2001, 02:05 PM

so who thinks this will be the final game? itll be a good one thats for sure. GO LAKERS!

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2001, 04:31 AM

and the lakers win! that was a much better officiated game although i hate to see the lakers win because they were able to take advantage of the foul trouble of the sixers. also iverson looked like he really hurt his ribs in that collision with kobe.

fisher shot the lights out, as did rick fox. the rest of the team stepped up big time this game. im proud of the lakers. thats team basketball.

here are some interesting photos taken during the game.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/report.../sixers5_9.htm
http://www.latimes.com/sports/report...sixers5_10.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules