Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Iceland!

Iceland! (Page 4)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
You guys see anything wrong with this?
It's got a .gov.uk address, so of course there's something wrong with it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2008, 09:54 AM

You guys see anything wrong with this?

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/fin_sa...rrentindex.htm
I wonder what the population of Landsbankistan is …

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2008, 09:24 AM

Nice little website

http://www.indefence.is/

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2008, 03:59 AM

yes , specially the fisherman ! There've always been funny stories going around about Icelanic people. Well, I know them, I married one, lived there for many years..They are almost like normal humans (like most people), as you can tell by the posts on that site.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2008, 04:01 AM

Whoa! You brought l'ignorante out of hiding!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2008, 04:09 AM

haha..just passing through, erik...nice to see some things don't change that much

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2008, 04:34 AM

Nah. Same old feuds and fun here at the 'NN 2.5 years later

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2008, 04:47 AM

it's been 2.5 years !? wow!
what happened, was i time-warped??

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2008, 04:51 AM

Apparently.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2008, 08:51 AM

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/42c0e23c-a...077b07658.html

A transcript of a conversation between the UK chancellor, Alistair Darling, and his Icelandic counterpart appears to question the British government’s claim that Iceland had refused to compensate UK savers.

The transcript, obtained by the Financial Times, is of a telephone conversation at the height of the crisis on October 7 between Mr Darling and Árni Mathiesen, Icelandic finance minister.

In it they discuss whether or not the Icelandic government is in a position to compensate up to 300,000 British depositors in Icesave, the online arm of Landsbanki, the Icelandic bank.

At no point does the Icelandic finance minister state unequivocally that Iceland would not honour its obligations.

Instead, Mr Mathiesen says that Iceland plans to use its compensation scheme to try to meet obligations to British depositors.

This commits Iceland to paying €20,887 (£16,462) under directives agreed as part of its membership of the European Economic Area.

The transcript reads:

Alistair Darling: “What about the depositors you’ve got who’ve got deposits in London branches?

Árni Mathiesen: “We have the [deposit] insurance fund according to the Directive and how that works is explained in this letter [to the UK] and the pledge of support from the government to the fund.”

AD: “So the entitlements the people have which I think is about £16,000, they will be paid that?”

ÁM: “Well, I hope that will be the case. I cannot state that or guarantee that now but we are certainly working to solve this issue. This is something we really don’t want to have hanging over us.”

Mr Darling told BBC Radio on October 8: “The Icelandic government, believe it or not, have told me yesterday they have no intention of honouring their obligations here.”

The Icelandic government believes that Mr Darling’s statement induced panic in the UK, triggering a run on the one remaining Icelandic bank that was in business, Kaupthing, leading directly to its eventual collapse and forced nationalisation.

Iceland’s perceived refusal to honour its obligations was also instrumental in convincing the British government to use anti-terror legislation to freeze Icelandic banking assets to try to protect depositors.

The Treasury said last night: “The UK government has made it clear repeatedly that this decision to protect UK depositors in Icelandic banks was made after extensive conversations with the Icelandic government.”

"Learn to swim"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 01:49 PM

Interest rates in Iceland are now 18%.

However, the Krona is expected to fall far more than that. Inflation in Iceland is projected by some to hit 75% this year.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Interest rates in Iceland are now 18%.

However, the Krona is expected to fall far more than that. Inflation in Iceland is projected by some to hit 75% this year.
I don't know what the term is but most loans in Iceland (such as for houses and apartments) are price indexed (not sure about this term).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_index

Meaning 75% inflation would be disastrous for the average Icelandic family.

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2008, 03:29 PM

But some good news for those travelling to Iceland.

One USD will get you almost 200isk.....

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Twelve months ago I think one USD gave you about 65 kronas.....

Great isn't it?

"Learn to swim"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 03:33 PM

If I understand you correctly, the loans are adjusted to some sort of inflationary index.

So, if a mortgage was ISK100000, with 75% inflation that mortgage would be ISK175000 after a year, assuming (just for the sake of this example) that there was no interest and no payments.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
If I understand you correctly, the loans are adjusted to some sort of inflationary index.

So, if a mortgage was ISK100000, with 75% inflation that mortgage would be ISK175000 after a year, assuming (just for the sake of this example) that there was no interest and no payments.
Yup, that's right.

And this is happening at a time when most companies and the government don't have money to increase wages.

So we are in for a rough time the next few years.

"Learn to swim"

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 04:58 PM

So we are in for a rough time the next few years.
Don't worry - the EU will be along on its white horse in a couple of months to offer you membership, which will of course solve your dilemma.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2008, 05:59 PM

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2008...ystery-letter/

More proof coming out showing how disingenuous the Uk government has been in this whole matter.

"Learn to swim"

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2008, 06:27 PM

Doofy, yes, the EU will be here soon, and that's excellent. Iceland should have joined the EU a long time ago, and taken up the Euro.

Trying to hold on to the Icelandic Krona (the smallest independent free market currency in the world) was idiotic at best, treason at worst. In any case; it was obvious insanity. As the left wing in Iceland has pointed out for several years.

People like Onassis did afer all manage to f* with the British "pound", so I can't imagine why our (rather stupid) right wing government thought we could hang on to the krona. At least we now know how stupid that policy was.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hugi View Post
Doofy, yes, the EU will be here soon, and that's excellent.
Great. Say goodbye to your cod - we'll be up there in a flash to trawl you dry.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Great. Say goodbye to your cod - we'll be up there in a flash to trawl you dry.
Icelanders fear the evil Spanish trawlers more than UK trawlers. The British just don't strike the same fear into the hearts of the Icelandic fisherman like the Conquistadores!!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Icelanders fear the evil Spanish trawlers more than UK trawlers. The British just don't strike the same fear into the hearts of the Icelandic fisherman like the Conquistadores!!
When I said "we" I meant "the EU" as in "the Spanish". And maybe the Frenchies. Not us - we're down to goldfish hustling after your boys cleared us out.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2008, 07:45 AM

"Learn to swim"

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 08:38 AM

Well, I'll be landing in Reykjavik In less than a week now. Looks like my money is probably going to go a long way while I'm there... So, who wants a cheap Icelandic drink (with or without alcohol ) on me?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Well, I'll be landing in Reykjavik In less than a week now. Looks like my money is probably going to go a long way while I'm there... So, who wants a cheap Icelandic drink (with or without alcohol ) on me?
I regret to inform you that I will now be forced to contact your Department of Homeland Security to brief them about your intention to associate with known terrorists.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 08:48 AM

I regret to inform you that I will now be forced to contact your Department of Homeland Security to brief them about your intention to associate with known terrorists.

Aw, come on. Just hop a quick EasyJet over and I'll buy you a pint!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 08:53 AM

Aw, come on. Just hop a quick EasyJet over and I'll buy you a pint!
I'd love to, but I'm fearful of flying (and flying is fearful of me). You'll just have to drink mine for me.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 08:55 AM

I'd love to, but I'm fearful of flying (and flying is fearful of me). You'll just have to drink mine for me.
Done, and done! Any more pints I can down in the name of international relations?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 09:07 AM

Done, and done! Any more pints I can down in the name of international relations?
Actually, drink one for this American. Although, what I really want to request is a detailed report on your adventures there, especially if you go to the Blue Lagoon.

With the ISK becoming so devalued against the USD I am thinking of taking a holiday there in January when I am done with my schooling. (Sort of a little present to myself for finishing my Masters degree after 8 years of part-time work on it.) So, let us know the good places to go and eat/drink/meet hot Icelandic women and I'll probably be there myself in January 09.

Oh, and if things do work out and I am there in January, I will continue nonhuman's offer and invite out for a drink (on me) anyone who wants to come to Reykjavik.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2008, 09:29 AM

This poor Icelander will take you up on that offer!

I'll pm you my phonenumber before you come over here and we can try to meet up for a drink and then I might be able to give you some more info on what to do.

"Learn to swim"

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Actually, drink one for this American. Although, what I really want to request is a detailed report on your adventures there, especially if you go to the Blue Lagoon.

With the ISK becoming so devalued against the USD I am thinking of taking a holiday there in January when I am done with my schooling. (Sort of a little present to myself for finishing my Masters degree after 8 years of part-time work on it.) So, let us know the good places to go and eat/drink/meet hot Icelandic women and I'll probably be there myself in January 09.

Oh, and if things do work out and I am there in January, I will continue nonhuman's offer and invite out for a drink (on me) anyone who wants to come to Reykjavik.
OK.
So, I checked out the flight details and was amazed at some of the prices I saw.
I got a round-trip, non-stop flight on Icelandair from JFK to Reykjavik for $473.
I arrive on the morning of 31 Dec 08 and leave in the afternoon of 08 Jan 09.

So, now I am really ready to buy some folks a drink and . . . maybe find out where to stay. Yeah, having a place to stay is a good idea.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 11:09 AM

Haha, if their economy miraculously turns around in the next couple months, you're in for a world of potential hurt....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2008, 12:59 PM

Well, just got back last night. Iceland was fantastic. Had a great time. There's actually a non-zero chance that I might go back for a long weekend next week to take advantage of the fact that the exchange rate will become even more favorable tomorrow. But even if I don't, I'll almost definitely be back some time this winter to take advantage of the amazing travel deals Icelandair has during the winter (apparently the lack of sunlight drives down tourism for some reason), and again in the spring and/or summer to do some hiking and backpacking.

Here's the MobileMe gallery of some pictures I took with my iPhone: http://gallery.me.com/josh.ourisman#100051

I've got a bunch more and better pictures on my camera, that I'll put online eventually.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2008, 01:12 PM

I’m going to Reykjavík to see Sigur Rós play at Laugardalshöllin on the 23rd. Wait an extra week and we can meet up!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 01:45 PM

Killer!

I was pushing for another trip there, especially with the exchange rate looking so great right now, but I got vetoed in favour of the Mayan Riveria instead. Not nearly as cool, but I've never been to the Caribbean and, well, my girl in a bikini gets the nod over my girl in rain gear....

Out of mild curiousity, is there any real commercial skiing in Iceland? I mean, I'm assuming not; you've got the hills and the glaciers, but I don't know how the winter snow works, and the population base doesn't seem to be near that area, and it's freakin' dark out anyway. Still, boarding in Iceland sounds pretty cool.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Killer!

I was pushing for another trip there, especially with the exchange rate looking so great right now, but I got vetoed in favour of the Mayan Riveria instead. Not nearly as cool, but I've never been to the Caribbean and, well, my girl in a bikini gets the nod over my girl in rain gear....
What about your girl in a bikini in a volcanic spring surrounded by snow and ice?

Out of mild curiousity, is there any real commercial skiing in Iceland? I mean, I'm assuming not; you've got the hills and the glaciers, but I don't know how the winter snow works, and the population base doesn't seem to be near that area, and it's freakin' dark out anyway. Still, boarding in Iceland sounds pretty cool.
There are a number of ski resorts in the mountains around Reykjavik, however they haven't opened for the past 7 years due to lack of snow. The more Northern parts of the country get plenty of snow however, and there's a lot of snowmobiling and such, so I'd assume there's probably some other ski spots. It shouldn't be too hard to get to them, as Icelandair operates domestically, and it's only about an hour flight to get all the way across the island.

An actual Icelander could probably provide more details.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I’m going to Reykjavík to see Sigur Rós play at Laugardalshöllin on the 23rd. Wait an extra week and we can meet up!
Nice. We haven't decided whether or not we're actually going that soon yet, but if dates around the 23rd end up working for us we'll see you there!

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2008, 09:54 AM

What about your girl in a bikini in a volcanic spring surrounded by snow and ice?
I like /borat
There are a number of ski resorts in the mountains around Reykjavik, however they haven't opened for the past 7 years due to lack of snow. The more Northern parts of the country get plenty of snow however, and there's a lot of snowmobiling and such, so I'd assume there's probably some other ski spots. It shouldn't be too hard to get to them, as Icelandair operates domestically, and it's only about an hour flight to get all the way across the island.

An actual Icelander could probably provide more details.
You're right. The ski resorts here south are open very seldom due to lack of snow. In the north though there are several resorts that are open over the winter. The best one is probably on Akureyri.

webcam

http://www.akureyri.is/hlidarfjall/vefmyndavelar/

pics

http://www.akureyri.is/hlidarfjall/myndir/
http://www.akureyri.is/hlidarfjall/brettamyndir/

*This message was sponsored by the Icelandic tourist information*

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2008, 09:58 AM

w00t!

How long will you stay over here?

"Learn to swim"

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2008, 12:46 PM

Awesome!

Is this a special show or part of their regular Fall tour? I saw them in September on the opening night of their North American tour in NYC and it was an awesome show (and totally worth the trek up to 175th St for the venue).

Anyone know of any good shows in Reykjavik around the New Year's holiday? That is when I will be in the country.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2008, 04:10 PM

I'm currently uploading some photos from the trip. I'll post a link here when they're up. Also posted a write-up of the trip on my blog: http://joshourisman.com/2008/11/10/worlds-best-hot-dog/

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2008, 05:11 PM

Awesome!

Is this a special show or part of their regular Fall tour? I saw them in September on the opening night of their North American tour in NYC and it was an awesome show (and totally worth the trek up to 175th St for the venue).

Anyone know of any good shows in Reykjavik around the New Year's holiday? That is when I will be in the country.
It’s the final show of the tour. After this, no more. I couldn’t let that chance pass, especially after I just won a trip to a Nordic capital of my own choosing at work.

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah
w00t!

How long will you stay over here?
Not long, unfortunately. Arrive at 2:35 PM on 22 November; leave at 07:15 AM (help!) on 25 November.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2008, 11:51 AM

Not long, unfortunately. Arrive at 2:35 PM on 22 November; leave at 07:15 AM (help!) on 25 November.
Way too short time to spend here.

But if you have time we could meet up for a cup of coffee (or beer for you).

Oh, and dcmacdaddy. I haven't forgotten about finding those things out for you. Just been incredibly busy lately. I'll get back to you soon on that.

And lastly:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...d-creditcrunch

"Learn to swim"

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2008, 04:02 PM

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2008, 04:19 PM

Nice pics.

Any chance you might add identifying information as to what/where they are?
I am especially interested in the building that looks like it belongs to a power
station followed by the pics of the waterfalls. Where is that?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2008, 04:29 PM

@Sayf-Allah,

No worries about getting me the info. I think I've got accommodations lined up for my first few days in Reykjavik--I should have my reservations finalized by Thursday. I would just like any info you can get on the farm-stay accommodations.
(And I still promise you a coffee and/or breakfast some morning while I am in Reykjavik.)

Also, could you make a recommendation on whether or not to do a car-hire? I don't need the name of a specific rental firm just whether or not you think I will need to get a rental car while there. The travel book I picked up says Iceland has an extensive and accessible bus service throughout the country but how true is that? I want to be able to get outside of Reykjavik to visit the ðingvellir (sp?) and someplace in the north to go snowmobiling (skidooing) and to see the northern lights.

Thanks!

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2008, 05:40 PM

@Sayf-Allah,

No worries about getting me the info. I think I've got accommodations lined up for my first few days in Reykjavik--I should have my reservations finalized by Thursday. I would just like any info you can get on the farm-stay accommodations.
(And I still promise you a coffee and/or breakfast some morning while I am in Reykjavik.)
For the farm B&B. Not all of them are open over the winter but this site should be able to give you some help.

www.farmholidays.is

You can contact them and tell them your plans and they should be able to book for you. Many of the farms under that "umbrella"-company are very personal and "Icelandic". Like I mentioned in the pm (IIRC) my in-laws have a farm B&B doing business with that company. Almost all the tourists coming there are very pleased with their stay on the farms around the country.
Also, could you make a recommendation on whether or not to do a car-hire? I don't need the name of a specific rental firm just whether or not you think I will need to get a rental car while there. The travel book I picked up says Iceland has an extensive and accessible bus service throughout the country but how true is that? I want to be able to get outside of Reykjavik to visit the ðingvellir (sp?) and someplace in the north to go snowmobiling (skidooing) and to see the northern lights.

Thanks!
I'd rent a car/4x4. The bus service is good but the best way to travel on Iceland is with your "own" car. Just beware that driving here can be dangerous. A very large percentage of accidents on Iceland involve tourists not used to as bad/small roads as we have. But if you are careful it shouldn't be a problem.

If you plan on renting a car (and I recommend a 4x4 in January) you should bookmark this page:

http://www.vegagerdin.is/english/roa...s-and-weather/

That page is a lifesaver in the conditions here on Iceland. Just be sure to check it often enough.

I also recommend checking this site:

http://us.is/page/english

And now I just hope I haven't scared you from renting a car here.

Just make sure the car you get has studded (I think that's the term) winter tires (if possible). All year non-studded winter tires are useless outside of the city.

And it's Þingvellir. ð is only used inside or at the end of words. But they sound the same.

In the winter it will take you everything from 5 hours to 10 hours depending on conditions to drive to the "capital of northern Iceland", called Akureyri. There you should (if weather allows it) get a great view of the northern lights. But you can also see them from just outside of Reykjavik. So it all depends on how much time you want to spend driving vs. sightseeing.

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2008, 06:24 PM

Oh, and one small update on the situation here in Iceland.

More and more people (and politicians) are beginning to seriously discuss the possibility of abandoning the krona and instead start using some other currency. Apparently it is possible for Iceland to unilaterally start using the euro or dollar without having to make any kind of deal with the originating country. And if we do this this might happen in the next few weeks.

"Learn to swim"

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2008, 06:46 PM

If you plan on renting a car (and I recommend a 4x4 in January) you should bookmark this page:

http://www.vegagerdin.is/english/roa...s-and-weather/

That page is a lifesaver in the conditions here on Iceland. Just be sure to check it often enough.

I also recommend checking this site:

http://us.is/page/english

And now I just hope I haven't scared you from renting a car here.
Ha! Nice driver-safety videos. They don't mess around. One of their cautionary scenes shows a car losing control on gravel roads and flipping over from the *inside* of the car. That was no fake roll-over; Either they planned to do it for cautionary purposes or planned to just slide the car on loose gravel and had a roll-over as a result. Good times!

I learned to drive stick-shift in ice and snow and on hilly, rural country roads so I should be okay as long as I go slow. So, I'll think about a car rental. Or maybe I'll find a cute local girl on holiday who wants an American boyfriend for a week and let her take me places.

Thanks for all your help. I'll PM you with my travel details sometime in mid-December so we can arrange a meet-up for coffee/breakfast. Cheers!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2008, 08:19 PM

Way too short time to spend here.
I know!

But I’m just using this as an appetiser, so I’ll know what I’m missing and be even more surerer to come back for a longer stay.

But if you have time we could meet up for a cup of coffee (or beer for you).
Uhh … I’ll take hot chocolate if that’s all right with you.

But yes, I do have time. Apart from the show Sunday night, I have no specific plans, other than meeting up with various people I more or less know.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2008, 08:37 PM

Nice pics.

Any chance you might add identifying information as to what/where they are?
I am especially interested in the building that looks like it belongs to a power
station followed by the pics of the waterfalls. Where is that?
Yep, that's the next phase in my plan. In the past I've been really bad about getting any pictures online because there's so many steps between the shutter and the finished project, so this time I'm taking the approach of getting everything out there as quickly as I can and cleaning up later (well, I did filter out about 90% of the shots, but you know what I mean).

The building that looks like the power station is the Hellisheiði Geothermal Plant. It was extremely cool.

Forum Links
Forum Rules