Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Need help configuring my home network

Need help configuring my home network
Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2011, 10:59 AM

I'm looking to replace my 1st gen Apple TV with the new model that supports Netflix. To make Netflix usable I will need to use a US-based VPN. I've got a spare Linksys WRT54G lying around that I figure I can use to accomplish this but I'm not exactly sure how to set it all up. This is what I'm proposing:

Code:
CURRENT WiMAX | v Airport Extreme | +--------------+--------------+ | | | Hackintosh Apple TV Mac mini PROPOSED WiMAX | v Airport Extreme | +--------------+--------------+ | | | Hackintosh | Mac mini Linksys WRT54G | Apple TV
So I presume I would put DD-WRT on the Linsys router and use OpenVPN route it through the US.

What I don't quite know is how will the Apple TV see the iTunes library on the Hackintosh box? I'm concerned this will be a nightmare to get configured properly.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2011, 07:48 PM

Since the Apple TV doesn't support advanced networking, you won't be able to be on both the VPN and access the Hackintosh at the same time.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2011, 09:42 AM

Hmmm.... I figured there would be some way I could set up the routing table on the Linksys to have all traffic to Netflix go through the VPN and then all other traffic through the Airport.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2011, 04:58 PM

Hmm, that may be possible with one of the third party firmwares. I thought you were going to run a stock firmware but now I see the DD-WRT comment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules