Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > $142 Frickin' Dollars for some blank paper??!!

$142 Frickin' Dollars for some blank paper??!!
Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2012, 02:16 PM

Seriously... I'm so pissed. Went downtown DC this morning to get some blank pages added to my passport. $142 ****ing dollars!!! I don't mind paying a fee but come on now... this is absurd!

AAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!!

There... I feel better now.

But seriously... $142 for some blank paper?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2012, 02:25 PM

But part of the fee was for expedite service, right ?

Just adding pages costs $82 according to this:
Passport Fees

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2012, 02:26 PM

I guess they figure anyone who can afford to fill up the pages in their passport can afford a hefty admin fee to add more pages.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I guess they figure anyone who can afford to fill up the pages in their passport can afford a hefty admin fee to add more pages.
I was thinking the same thing too. How much did it cost in travel expenses to fill up the pages it came with?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2012, 02:29 PM

Well you gotta pay for the service, the buildings, employees who do all that stuff... It's not like the trillions we pay in tax dollars pay any of that or anything.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
But part of the fee was for expedite service, right ?

Just adding pages costs $82 according to this:
Passport Fees

-t
I've never in the country long enough to do it via mail so i had to do it in person. And even after 142 bucks I still had to leave empty handed. Won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow. Which means another trip into the district (which is a pain in the ass).

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I was thinking the same thing too. How much did it cost in travel expenses to fill up the pages it came with?
My travel is covered by my employer. Anyone who travels a lot for work can attest... it's not a glamorous lifestyle.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2012, 02:38 PM

That's what all the 1%ers say

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2012, 03:46 PM

Won't your employer pay for the extra pages then?

I don't know about US passports but assuming they have plenty in common with the UK ones, those 'blank' pages are in fact securely watermarked pages which have to be re-bound into the passport, all of which has to be done in a secure facility with various checks done to make sure no-one is trying to do something they shoudn't (for example a passport that had been tampered with might come back looking more legitimate if it wasn't checked), and of course all this has to be done within 24 hours. Its actually not that bad if you think about it. One has to wonder if tax money shouldn't cover some of it but then again, passports are for business (therefore profit) or leisure, so why should everyone pay for only some people to make money or have fun?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2012, 04:04 PM

I'm pretty sure that it's possible to get a second passport, which allows you to avoid things like having to go into the office in person as you can just use your second passport when you send the first in.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2012, 04:38 PM

I only paid $135 for my whole passport with fees included. Sheesh.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2012, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I'm pretty sure that it's possible to get a second passport, which allows you to avoid things like having to go into the office in person as you can just use your second passport when you send the first in.
Expensive and only good for 2 years.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2012, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Expensive and only good for 2 years.
Another alternative: for $30,000 you can become a citizen of the Dominican Republic and be issued a passport. You can do this entirely by mail.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2012, 07:41 AM

$82 to securely physically alter a passport, $60 for expedited service (drop everything you're doing for anyone else and do this right now) fee = $142.

Those aren't "blank paper" pages, they are counterfeit/forgery resistant passport pages. And your passport file now shows that the current book has additional pages in it, so if your passport gets scanned, the results will match the actual book.

Seriously, a secure passport isn't a cheap item, and altering one shouldn't be expected to be cheap either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2012, 03:27 PM

And passports do almost nothing for security. Most threats have managed to obtain real passports. Just another example of "security" going over board.

Do away with passports and go with a chip in the wrist lol. Personally I like the enhanced drivers licenses developed for Washington State and BC. I dont see why they cant replace passports for Air Travel too.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2012, 07:04 PM

Another alternative: for $30,000 you can become a citizen of the Dominican Republic and be issued a passport. You can do this entirely by mail.
Entirely by mail ? That's not what I heard.

Dominican Republic, Passport -

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 11:12 PM

Not enough visa-waiver countries.

His claim was 10x as expensive as your link; I bet that goes a long way toward avoiding visits.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2012, 02:08 AM

You can get a passport card in addition to a passport book for travel within North America.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2012, 10:58 AM

-t
That's what this site says, anyway: Second Passports - Economic Citizenship Programs - How & Why To Legally Obtain A Second Passport or New Country Residency

reader50
Administrator
Feb 10, 2012, 01:35 PM

Assuming the price has not changed since 1996, you can do better in the Seychelles. Passports available for $25,000. And if local governments catch up with your international crime spree, you can do better still. For $10 million (bottom paragraph), they'll give you immunity from criminal prosecution. Presumably for past crimes - I expect you'd have to cough up another $10M each time you want to update your coverage.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
$82 to securely physically alter a passport, $60 for expedited service (drop everything you're doing for anyone else and do this right now) fee = $142.

Those aren't "blank paper" pages, they are counterfeit/forgery resistant passport pages. And your passport file now shows that the current book has additional pages in it, so if your passport gets scanned, the results will match the actual book.

Seriously, a secure passport isn't a cheap item, and altering one shouldn't be expected to be cheap either.
You'd be surprised at how cheap the new pages look. They're attached with clear adhesive tape... rather sloppily no less.

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
You can get a passport card in addition to a passport book for travel within North America.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf
Only good for travel by land and sea. Anyone arriving by air needs a regular passport.

I'm actually in the process of getting my Dominican residency. A DR passport would be pretty useless. Can't go anywhere without a visa.

Forum Links
Forum Rules